“New Orleans Finest”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #38 of 2,093 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Commander's Palace is one of the finest restaurants you will ever encounter.

We made reservations for a Saturday night at 7 PM during the height of Mardi Gras several months in advance. That day, it became apparent that we were running late, so I made a call to the restaurant and they graciously moved our reservation to 8:45 PM.

Upon arriving, we were immediately greeted by the host and hostess, a friendly sincere greeting that made you feel very welcomed. We were shown to our table on the second floor.

What makes Commander's so special? The service is professional without being pretentious, friendly without being phony. You take a sip or two from your water glass, and a server is there to fill your glass. You drink half of your water, and a server is there to trade your glass with a fresh full glass of water.

We ordered our food, and everything we were served was exquisitely prepared with plenty of Creole taste. The presentation again is very professional, as meals are placed at the table at precisely the same time. Next to us was a table with 7 people seated. When their dinners arrived, there was enough wait staff at their table to be able to place each of the 7 plates onto their table again at precisely the same time.

For dessert, we enjoyed the Creole Bread Pudding Souffle. This was the sweetest, tastiest souffle that I ever had the enjoyment of eating.

Impeccable food and service, reasonable prices, wonderful ambiance. The best in New Orleans.

3  Thank Jerry M
Write a ReviewReviews (8,330)

Reviewed March 13, 2014

While the food wasn't as good as I had heard about, the charm and the excellent service made me give it a "very good" overall. The owner even stopped by our table to chat and check on us... nice touch! My wife did enjoy her steak.

1  Thank Globetrotter805
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Commander's Palace has been the queen of fine dining in New Orleans for a long time, through a variety of chefs and owners. It still retains the high quality. The wait staff were among the best we have ever had, and we eat in a lot of really good places. Whenever we wanted something, they were there, but never once intruded (you know, interrupting your conversation to ask you if you are having a good time). WE enjoyed the tasting menu without the wine pairings, known as the Chef's Seafood Playground, which included several notable dishes. Particularly good were the Louisiana crab and caviar with local citrus, the cast iron seared gulf fish, and the bread pudding soufflé (which we substituted for the seasonal dessert). Wines were reasonably priced compared to similar establishments. We will definitely plan on a return visit.

1  Thank buddymedbery
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Commander's Palace is a treasure in the Garden District of New Orleans. I think that is it safe to assume that there are not other restaurants there because they just couldn't compete! The food was amazing - Best Veal I have ever tasted, and the bread pudding souffle was like nothing I ever tasted. Staff was attentive but not intrusive. Great place to socialize and eat fabulous food.

1  Thank Nicole D
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We were so looking forward to eating at this New Orleans institution. Let's just say institutional food would have been better! As we were being seated, we were lead through the kitchen-really, no better way to get to our table than through the kitchen?? And, if you're going to tour people through the kitchen, shouldn't the kitchen be CLEAN?? Not dirty dishes piled in the sink and food sitting out? The place looks like it was once grand, but now just really needs a face lift. The waiter, while somewhat knowledgeable, was surly. We had to ask for cocktails and the wine list and what the specials were. The salads were good, but nothing special. I had the pecan gulf fish special-that's when the fun began. I had about 1/2 of it and got VERY sick! Had to get in the cab-along with a paper bag to puke in. Yep, it was that bad. The restaurant did NOTHING to help us. We were a party of 6 and had ordered appetizers, entrees, multiple desserts, drinks and wine. However, even if we hadn't ordered a lot, they shouldn't have treated us like that. We were so disappointed!! There are too many fabulous restaurants in NOLA, try any of them, but not this place! Will never eat there again!!

3  Thank GracieGizmo
Sam F, Manager at Commander's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear GracieGizmo:

Thank you for visiting Commander's Palace and for taking the time to review us. We take our guests' feedback very seriously and we will certainly address your comments with our staff.

I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your food and that you were not feeling well - we really take pride in allowing only perfect dishes to come out of our kitchen. I'm sorry we failed to do that with you.

And I am very sorry to hear that you were treated badly by the service staff. We certainly train our staff to treat every guest graciously and with respect. I am sorry that you did not feel that way.

We would like to ensure this doesn't happen again. If you don't mind sending me the day and time you came in, as well as the name on the reservation, I would really appreciate it so that we can look into what happened that day on our end.

Again, I'm very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at Commander's Palace. Please feel free to contact me at the below information.

Many thanks,