“Classic place - everything wonderful”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #29 of 1,954 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cleveland, Ohio
“Classic place - everything wonderful”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Seven of us had a lovely lunch here. The 25 cent martinis are pretty wonderful (3 is the limit, but trust me, that's all you need). The food and service are really top notch. This is still one of the top places in New Orleans.

Visited November 2013

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Waiter had an attitude”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was really excited about my first visit to this fine dining establishment and this restaurant meet my expectations except for the waiter, Josiel. He came across condescending when my friend and I asked about their beer selection and told me a brand of beer, Dixie which is brewed in NO was like drinking Miller Hi-Life. We both felt offended and did not think that he came across in a professional manner which was unlike the maitre d, servers or hostess. He did not seem involved in the meal except for taking our orders and handing us a check and deferred to his wait staff to pick up the plates, refill water, utensils etc.

As far as the meal went, I ordered their three course meal with the gumbo, shrimp and grits and creole cheesecake for dinner and it was excellent and true to their standards. I was also surprised that their dress code was not closely enforced when I saw an older gentleman wearing jeans and a young lady was wearing a very short dress and her legs did not merit wearing a skimpy outfit. I'll definitely return to this restaurant and enjoyed the streetcar ride from the French Quarter and the beautiful homes in the area. A must eat restaurant in NOLA!

1 Thank SmilingSteve4
New Orleans
“Great but menu not my first choice.”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Commanders is one of the finest, well run restaurants in the U.S. As a frequent lunch patron I was disappointed by the esoteric dinner selections the menu offered (which will probably delight other visitors).
Although I was unable to find an entrée that appealed, I ordered the turtle soup (excellent), the Crisp Romaine salad, and the Bottomless Ravioli (very strange for my palate).
As luck had it there were deserts passed around and were short stopped at my seat. The pecan pie was fantastic as was the praline parfait.
Service is always excellent and, for a change, we were seated in the main dining room which, while being a little noisier, is the most beautiful room.
I suggest you review the menu prior to booking since it is not the normal table fare. http://www.commanderspalace.com/menu/
The restaurant is one of the greats of New Orleans and not to be missed by visitors to the city.

1 Thank RNewOrleans
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Always worth the trip”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I went to college in NOLA, and had my first Thanksgiving dinner away from home at Commander's Palace. So its a nostalgic favorite. However, the food is so outstanding, its always worth going back to Commander's Palace.

The turtle soup with sherry is amazing. Even if you don't think you will like it, try it. Its one of the best dishes in the world. Be sure to order one of the special soups.

All of the rooms are lovely, but I particularly like the Garden Room.

1 Thank Dorothea B
N. Georgia
“Commander's a Worthwhile Splurge”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My spouse and I have eaten at Commander's on each of our three visits to New Orleans, and our recent visit was again an overall treat. As requested, we were given a window table in the Garden Room, and loved the courtyard view. We were warmly greeted by every staff person we passed on the relatively long walk upstairs and over to the Garden Room, and certainly felt welcomed. Our waiter was young this time. In the past we'd had older, very experienced waiters, but he did a good job on the whole. Our friends, who were experiencing the city for the first time, had a bit of a challenge choosing a bottle of wine from the very extensive list, and the waiter returned to say that the bottle they'd chosen was sold out. At this point, he began trying to help them select a "similar" bottle, but was definitely trying to up-sell. All of his suggestions were for bottles more than twice the price of the one they first chose.
Our food was excellent. Both the fish dishes and steak were scrumptious, and of course, the bread pudding soufflé was outstanding. I will return, but I would suggest the excellent management of this fine restaurant counsel its waitstaff against the practice of such a blatant attempt at increasing the final tab, because it was a turnoff for my well-traveled friends.

1 Thank Carolina47