“Great place to celebrate”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #30 of 1,963 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Detroit, Michigan
“Great place to celebrate”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We visited Commander's Palace on a recent trip to New Orleans to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. We were welcomed by each staff member as we came in and were seated, as requested in our reservation, in the garden room. The service was wonderful. Little details such as choice of napkin color, replacing of the water glasses halfway through, serving each table's entrees in unison and attention to specific requests really made this restaurant stand out in terms of service.

My husband is more of a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy and he was a little apprehensive of the menu offerings. However, the waiter and kitchen worked with him on the filet option and presented him with a meal he enjoyed very much. I enjoyed the trio of soup appetizer and the pecan encrusted gulf fish was delicious. The dessert was good, but not my favorite part of the meal. I had the bread pudding souffle and my husband had the chocolate and vidalia onion ice cream (which was surprisingly very good). I would definitely recommend this restaurant as must at least once in your life!

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Marietta, Georgia, USA
“The queen jewel”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The food is very unique and good quality, service is good as well. Not cheap, but great for special occasions.

Visited October 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“wonderful for brunch!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I recently went for brunch on a Saturday and I found it to be really lovely, We were seated upstairs, in a small room (there were only three other tables) and while the main dining room was clearly bustling, ours was serene and perfect! The service was impeccable and the food delicious. We all oohed and ahhed over every course, sharing and indulging. It was certainly a good value - from the garlic bread starter to the generous portions at each course I found the entire meal to be just what my travel weary soul needed. Then to have a live three-piece jazz combo traipsing through our brunch doing old standards and improvising Happy Birthday for the three folks in our room who were all celebrating - that was the icing on the cake! When in New Orleans I think of this as a must stop - take time to linger over brunch, arrive early, leave late and wander through the neighborhood to marvel at the architecture of the Garden District homes. You won't be disappointed.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Wow! Real food made just perfect!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This place is definitely an institution in creole cooking! I had the best cochon au lait Gumbo of my life! My lamb chop was cooked to perfection, tasty... just amazing! Would visit this restaurant every week if I lived here. The Bananas Foster was just beautiful, tasty, rich and of course... flambe!!! I travel the world and have visited some of the best restaurants in many cities; this is definitely in my Top 10! Although I never speak about price in my review, I must note that the meal cost was probably a fifth of what you would pay for something similar in Spain, France or New York!

Fiskdale, Massachusetts
“Truly felt like their most important diners”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had been told not to miss this restaurant in the Garden District of NOLA and we are so glad we listened!!! It is not inexpensive but it is truly affordable at lunchtime. They have 'prix fixed' offerings (lots of variety) and with one of these, martini's are $.25!!!!!! (limit to 3 per person). When our waitress brought our entrees she me time!!! What a wonderful touch.