“99% perfect”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #27 of 2,009 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed September 19, 2013

An excellent meal. Atmosphere was nice. the one quibble I have is that they reaqlly packed in the diners. It felt crowded.

Service was good, although they were a little pressed, perhaps short staffed, but there was little slippage other than taking a while to get our drink orders. The turtle soup was great. . Entrees were great, and dessert was terrific.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,736)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place never fails to live up to its fabulous reputation. Any meal here is a celebratory occasion.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I used to live in Lafayette when I was poor and had a 2 year old - no Commander's Palace for me! On a college visit with my daughter, we took advantage of New Orleans' "coolinary" offers that many restaurants offer in Aug. and Sept.. Great three or four course meals for a set price of $35 for dinner or $21 or so for lunch. We did dinner at Antoine's and lunch at CP - not on the same day! What a great deal!!

I had the Turtle Soup for appetizer. Don't shy away from this as it's one of the many things CP is famous for and it was excellent. I then had the Commander’s Mixed Grill which was Housemade sausage, slow roasted pork shoulder, and spicy cochon de lait boudin with grilled onions, Creole mustard, and smoky trotter jus (taken right from the menu - my memory isn't that good). I had a choice of other entrees but this gave me a great taste of three different items. Sublime! I ended the lunch with another famous dish - Creole Bread Pudding Soufflé. Again, don't shy away since all of you have probably had bread pudding before. Not like this! Fantastic.

The service was impeccable and our waiter described so many different choices, we would have been stumped if we hadn't planned on the "coolinary" menu. Oh yeah, 25 cent martinis (six different varieties on the day we went) - limit three. Visit the Lafayette Cemetery (one block away) on the way back to the streetcar and you have a great mid-day treat.

1  Thank mwbroucek
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Eight in our party for brunch. We had reservations and were seated expeditiously by a friendly staff. Our waiter was knowledgeable and our entire brunch experience was flawless. Food was excellent and drinks were superb. We've eaten here many times in the past. A "must do" restaurant in New Orleans, especially now that Brennan's on Royal St. is closed.

1  Thank GaryC54
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had my best meal ever at Commanders over 18 years ago. So naturally I was a bit gun shy to set the bar high on another visit. Nope. Yet again this was a top flight memorable meal! The waiter let me order my entree off the special menu since I didn't see one on the normal a la carte menu. I had essentially steak with fois gras - the combo was killer. Tastier than I could have imagined. My wife gave up talking to me bec it was clear from my face with each bite I was someplace else. :-D I also got a great wine rec from the waiter (actually, three served us) that paired well with both our very different meals. And dessert was a whisky souffle that was killer and real bananas foster (I swiped my wife's). I can't wait for my next meal here!