“Still Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #24 of 1,918 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Georgetown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Still Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Third time here and still excellent. The 3 course luncheon special WAS special. The main course was the lacquered quail--perfectly prepared and yummy, The Creole bread pudding souffle was to die for. (They share the recipe.) Of course the 25 cent martinis are worth every penny (and more)...!

Service of course was impeccable, although the synchronicity of the entree delivery was not as impressive. But then our party of ten was not seated at a round table!

I will return my next visit to NOLA.

• Visited August 2013

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Fort Worth, Texas
“Best meal in New Orleans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the Commander's Palace! The food was great and the service was great, too. We ate in the Garden Room which was beautiful. It was so interesting how all of the servers deliver the food at the table to each person all at the same time. We will go back here when in New Orleans again.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Trisa W
“Solid but way too hyped”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was a great meal but for the hype I frankly expected more. The service was solid and the menu was great. I think it is one of those rare restaurants where you feel like you should almost expect perfection.

I would recommend this to anyone though.

Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Extremely disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I suppose I would split this review between the food and the service.

Starting out with the stronger of the two, the food, I would probably give it 3/5. It was pretty typically American, overly sweet for our tastes but that is fairly standard. The starter was amazing, gumbo soup - best bit of the whole meal really. The main was quail, but it was sweet enough to be a dessert as far as I could tell - very average. Then the dessert was OK. For the price - a little below average would be my opinion.

Then, the service. Almost nothing short of disgraceful, frankly. We asked for a recommendation of wine and tasted it, but it was not quite what we were after. We proceeded to try another two, before settling on a bottle of one. The waiter's attitude when we didnt like his first choice just went straight down hill and remained poor throughout the whole meal.

Even things like trying to attract the waiter's attention became a chore. I do not expect this in a restaurant of this supposed quality. It was a real let down.

Following this I raised my concerns with management and left my contact details, but never received so much as an apology. I provided further constructive feedback to them through their website form but again did not receive any response.

I will not be returning!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Chris d
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Birthday Girl”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband took me to Commander's Palace for Sunday Brunch this past weekend for my Birthday and it was wonderful! Even tho we live in Baton Rouge, only 60 miles away, it was my first time there. I'd heard about them all my life, but somehow had never been. It is just what I had envisioned. Perfect N.O. atmosphere, great food and service with a mingling jazz band! Awesome!

• Visited August 2013