“Garden District Elegance”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #29 of 2,013 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have always wanted to eat at Commander's Palace but with so many great restaurants inside the French Quarter, I never made it...until now!

My husband and I saved this experience for our last day. After reading about the lunch time quarter martinis, I knew that's when I wanted to go.

We explored the cemetary across the street first then we were ready for a treat!

We tried all the martinis and they were delicious. The food was very good. Our favorite was the oysters under puff pastry appetizer. Service was excellent and everyone was friendly.

I am sorry that I waited all these years to try CP but I am glad my first experience was with my husband on our anniversary weekend.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,744)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hands down, best dining experience. And we had some phenomenal meals. Mothers Day brunch & they were crazy busy, but you never knew it. Waiter greeted us by name (remarkable!). Every course a culinary delight. Many wait staff stopped to chat with us. Such a pleasant day. Only gripe: jazz music passed through room for total of 5 minutes. Expected to hear music all afternoon.
On our way out, waiter Todd suggested we go down back stairs & view the kitchen. Many staffers encouraged us to take pictures. Further wandering, encountered waiter carrying case of wine. Put it down and offered to take us on a tour of their wine cellar and private dining room. Can you imagine? Was a perfect day. Could not have met more wonderful people. Must be on bucket list!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were a party of four, two of whom were celebrating birthdays. Food was great. I had sea bass and it was cooked perfectly. They had balloons tied to the seats of the birthdayers. Kind of cute. Four the four of us we had 2 waiter and three assistants. Your water glass seems to magically be full all the time. We were shocked by one thing. We brought our own bottle of wine (we usually do) Normal corkage is between $12 and $18. However ther corkage was $15 per person. Fortunately one of our party didn't drink. $15 for the wine and $45. for the corkage.$60. was still cheaper than anything comparable.If you want an expensive wine I would definately reccommend bringing your own. I don't know if I would go back (price) but I 'm sure glad I did it once.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a consistently wonderful place to dine. I have been for brunch, lunch and dinner. It is always outstanding. Do not miss the bread pudding soufflé it is worth the calories. Not to be missed when traveling to the big easy.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I believe this was my third time dining at Commanders but it had been about 15 years since my last visit. All I can say to everyone out there is if you find yourself in NO and you want one of the best dining experiences you will probably have in your life then you simply must go here. Yes, it is expensive as many contributors have noted but ordering one of the three course meals that are on every nightly menu is more affordable......and besides don't you deserve to really treat yourself once in awhile.

This was my wife's first visit to CP and I had been telling her that she simply must order the turtle soup......something she had never had and at times she is not the most daring person when it comes to trying something new. But she trusted me and as I suspected it was the highlight of her meal. I don't think any other place comes close to matching their turtle soup! The service from all the attendants was an 11 on a 10 point scale.

One tip that I want to pass on to other people because I had benefited from another contributor who mentioned the same thing. After finishing your meal ask the head waiter about taking "the tour" on your way out of the restaurant. My wife was nervous about me doing this but I told her to once again trust me. This turned out to be the second highlight of a truly memorable evening. The head waiter took easily 5 minutes of his time to escort us down the back stairway of the restaurant which takes you through the kitchen, the outdoor dining room and into the back garden near the private house where a member of the Brennan family is always residing on any evening that the restaurant is open. I can tell you that it appeared that this was one of the head waiter's favorite things to do. Every employee we encountered also gives you the same impression.....they literally start to perform for people who are escorted through and pictures are encouraged. It was the perfect capstone to a wonderful dining experience.