“Worst Dining experience in New Orleans”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #27 of 2,013 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were really looking forward to taking our college son to this restaurant, even though it is a bit pretentious. We ordered a bottle of wine when we first arrived. It was never delivered. There were many servers overseeing the silverware, but no food or beverages. Finally when we asked about the wine our waiter looked surprised. He then came back and told us they didn't have the wine that we selected. A few minutes after that ( we have now been in this place for about an hour), the waiter came back with a bottle of "comparable wine" that had a price tag of over $100 more than the bottle we selected. Of course we did not get it. We felt as if we had been hustled. I could go in and on. No one apologized or tried to make our experience more pleasant. They just continued to be pretentious and made us feel like they were doing us a favor by waiting in us.

3  Thank Kmyoung
Write a ReviewReviews (7,744)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We eat here in March after a recommendation for our hotel concierge and reading reviews. We didn't want to post a negative review. However we recently return to N.O and eat in a true fine dinning restaurant. The experience was so different that we hope this review will save people having to go through what we did.

There are many amazing places to eat in N.O but this is simply not one of them. I am shocked at the amount of positive reviews on this site and others.

We arrived and were seated on time. The decor is old and tired with uncomfortable chairs, old linens, cutlery and glass ware. We expected to be transported but to a traditional Louisiana restaurant. Instead you sat in an old restaurant in need of upgrading.

The food was average and had no passion on par with the decor. We had a three course meal and every dish was over sauced and mushy. This is not fine dinning but just a very old menu that has been handed down from chef to chef.

We started with a nice glass of champagne and had a good bottle of wine with the meal.

Our server was prompt and quick but totally uninterested. This would not have been anything to mention if we were at an Olive Garden but here we expected more. While efficient at the mechanics of the job, he worked from his own very over used script. This was noticeable because he said the exact same lines to every table. At the end of our meal as he had done to every table around us he said " Right, ready for a do-over?" then paused for laughter... We were ready to go home and wash the taste of bad food from my mouth.

We eat in fine dinning restaurants and expect to pay. The price here for food and drinks is on the high side for comparable restaurants in the area. But the quality of service, decor and food does not meet the price, this should be a priced the same as budget hotel buffet.

Maybe when the paint and furniture was new this was a great restaurant but like the decor it is past its best. An opinion shared by local people and servers we talked to at other bars and restaurants.

2  Thank Caymanltd
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I felt very torn about writing this review. I have been looking forward to eating at this restaurant for years. I made reservations months in advanced. I even bought a new dress. After we were greeted pleasantly and shown to our table, we were ignored. For awhile. I am not sure whether it was given our age, we are a younger couple, but that shouldn't be a factor any where. It took forever for, I believe her name was Jennifer, to come over. She acted like we were a imposition to her. She left us alone for extended extended period of times, didn't help with the wine list, was not very helpful with the menu or anything. She paid far greater attention to her other tables containing older married couples. I am assuming it was suppose to be a French service style but it was hard to tell. It was way off and a bit chaotic. The biggest props goes to a gentleman by the name of Howard. He was amazing to us. Simply wonderful. If I could have singled him out to tip him alone, I would have, unlike Jennifer, who thumbed through our check after we paid to count the money. Unbelievable.

The food, however, was fantastic. I can not and will not complain in the least bit about that. But considering that my boyfriend is in the restaurant business and runs a few of them, I can ultimately say that my experience in service there would not make me want to go again. Especially compared to the service we experienced the following night at GW Fins.

1  Thank Clemsonbelle21
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Went to Commanders Palace for the Jazz Brunch. It was a great deal for the price we paid since we got a 3 course dinner (exceptionally wonderful). The Gumbo everyone should try! We ordered two of the fish plates....savory! And to top it off the souffle at the end...wow!

1  Thank McmartinezPerez
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed brunch at Cafe recently. Meal included an appetizer, entree, and dessert. I had the chicken and sausage gumbo. Really excellent rich smoky flavors. Had some eggs bacon and a biscuit. They were tasty. My wife had red velvet pancakes which were amazing. Never had anything like it before. Dessert was another excellent dish warm pecan pie. I typically don't pecans but wow. Jazz music was great. Service was very efficient.. Easily the top 1 or 2 places to eat in New Orleans

1  Thank MDuvalPA