“Top Notch!”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #40 of 2,034 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A trip to Commander's must be on your New Orleans list! From the moment you step inside the restaurant, your experience will be amazing. The ambiance, service, food, drinks, and overall presentation are top notch!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,067)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our Valentine's Day Lunch at the Commander's Palace was paired with a walking tour of the Garden District with Tree from Racontours. We had somewhat of a set menu which reflected some of the history imparted on us during the tour.

Our meal started with a mini strawberry infused, creole seasoned beignet, followed by Turtle Soup, Shrimp & Tasso Henican, a choice of several entrees (I had the herb crusted chicken, my husband had the Shrimp & Grits), a shot of sazerac, and our choice of dessert. I chose the strawberry shortcake, my husband had the bourbon molasses cake. I should mention we fully took part in the 25¢ martinis - the melon martini was delicious. The team waited on us hand and foot. For a table of 9, every person's plate was set down at the same time, glasses of water and iced tea were not refilled, they were replaced. Every need was promptly attended to, every question was kindly answered with knowledgable authority. What made the experience so perfect was the staff being so efficient yet nearly invisible. There was never a need to flag some one down, my husband didn't even notice his water glass was changed, he only knew it was once again full.

We came to New Orleans to EAT. This was the best food we had while in New Orleans, hands down,  and we did not eat cheaply. I did not care for the shrimp, but I do not care for seafood anyway. My husband happily took the rest after I tried a bite and the rest of the table raved about it.

When dessert came, imagine my delight when both our plates had "Happy Anniversary" neatly written in chocolate on the rim. I would have nothing to complain about, had I not tried my husband's molasses bourbon cake - which was nothing short of orgasmic. It made me lament my seemingly plain strawberry shortcake.

For us, the worst part of eating at Commander's Palace was the fact we ate there early on in our trip. It really made all the other restaurants pale in comparison, in every aspect.  This restaurant is a MUST, but keep it a treat and save it for last!

1  Thank ppin1pod
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We have been eating here for more than forty years. The food and service are consistently 5 star. In June we ate at the Chef's table. WOW!!!! It was the most fun we have ever had. The three hour meal consisted of duck, soft shell crab, watermelon gazpacho, ceviche of summer tomatoes with crab boil mozzarella, escargot with cream cheese gnocchi flambeed with cognac, mushrooms, and spring vegetables. The soft shell crab was well seasoned and topped with caviar and eaten with soft-shell bisque. The dry-aged duck breast was served over wilted greens with sweet potato purée. The pork spinalis was served with a pork belly boudin. This was followed by a wonderful cheese course. Finally, we were served the "Dessert Bomb," literally every dessert served at Commanders Place. Unbelievable. Oh, each course was paired with a different wine. My daughter-in-law has written extensively about this meal on her food blog and provides a much better review than I possibly could. Make your reservations now.

1  Thank Travelingpriest
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I went to Commander's Palace for the first time recently for lunch on a rainy afternoon. We had a wonderful time. The wait staff was more than helpful with the menu, where we were from, had we been to this location or seen that, etc. They were some of the most attentive wait staff I have ever experience (maybe a restaurant in the late '90s in Fez, Morocco had more staff that was more attentive, but not as sincere). The food was really good (and we have extremely high standards as we love to cook gourmet food daily). Perhaps not the ultimate culinary experience, but for the value it was amazing compared to the rest of the restaurants we dined at while in New Orleans!
I had the Turtle Soup and Pulled Pork lunch special (as I couldn't handle anymore gulf food after a week) and my wife had the crab melt and tomato soup. The food was carefully cooked, not overly prepared with clarified butter (like most places in New Orleans), and was presented very well. Their martinis are 25 cents, yes cents, if you order lunch. Although far from the best martini I have had, I couldn't resist but try one for that price (they weren't bad, just weak and not worth the sugary calories).
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone headed to New Orleans (it's adjacent to an old walk able cemetery), but would recommend reservations.
There is a reason this joint has been a restaurant since 1880 or so. Enjoy!

1  Thank 007world
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Anyone in New Orleans will tell you--reservations at the Commander's Palace on Washington Street (across from Lafayette Cemetery in the Garden District) are very difficult to get--especially for occasions like St.Valentine's Day. If you are coming to New Orleans and know your plans in advance--you can telephone ahead. If you can't--take a chance and either ask your hotel concierge or phone yourself--the worst is they'll say 'no'. (Another way to get in for an incredible lunch experience is through 'Racontours'--an official Garden District tour with lunch included--see 'Racontours' on tripadvisor under a separate listing.)

First off--the restaurant is in one of the historic buildings in the Garden District (over 100 yrs old) with a varied and rich tradition as a 'family' restaurant (which had a bordello upstairs in a bygone era). Hand made wall papers, medallions, cornices, embellishments, chandeliers--such wonderful attention to details that there isn't a single nook or inch that isn't either authentic historically or replicated to perfection to preserve the most gracious, select and comfortable environment for celebrating an occasion or just enjoying an exquisite meal.

Children are okay--but only if they are on their best behavior. This is not a restaurant that I would take small children to--and I would also think twice about teenagers--unless your brood was raised to appreciate fine dining. There is a dress code which precludes extremely casual attire--gentlemen's shirt must have collars; no jeans; no shorts; no sandals; no tee-shirts or sweat shirts. (Kind of nice that some places still require dressing up--makes the experience that much more special.)

The menu and wine selection are beyond first rate. This place has won so many awards that I don't think there's an award left that they haven't won. Plus, there is a full bar. Specialty cocktails abound: the Commander's Palace martini is a vodka concoction with blue curacao that just melts the icicles inside. Or try a Sazarac--the official cocktail of the City of New Orleans (by Congressional order). Foodies, wine aficianados and connoisseurs will find more than enough to interest and tempt palates.

Everything on the menu is fresh--produce is locally grown; seafood--it's what Louisiana is known for. Commander's Palace is known for traditional dishes with flair and unique presentations. Can't go wrong with anything--if you don't have a clue (it's Creole cooking)--the servers are ever ready to assist and suggest without imposing or pushing.

And those servers! Unobtrusive yet warm and friendly in a distinctly Louisiana/Nyawlins way. They answer any questions about the cuisine, the wines, the building, the gossip, the history cheerfully and ably. Want a tour of the building? No problem. Want to see the kitchen? Of course. Wine cellar? Right this way. While you are there, their entire attention is focused on you and your party. For the few hours you are there--it is YOUR restaurant. Can't do better than that.

The restaurant also delivers on special requests. You can specify your requirements or desires and staff will work to create the perfect ambiance or experience just for you and your party. You can have the chef's attention at a special table in the kitchen--the chef will create a special menu with accompanying beverages. Or how about a dinner focusing on fine wines? The sommalier and chef work together to bring forth a memorable event. You want to propose to your best girl? Or reaffirm your devotion? Staff will orchestrate an occasion you will never forget (and I've heard that no one has ever said 'no').

Dessert--like to die for! Save room. MAKE room. Their confectons are made on the premises--they have a dedicated pastry chef with staff--and made to order. Fresh, fresh, fresh! Succulent, decadent, orgasmic. 'Nuf said.

2  Thank caveatactor