“Had Lunch There” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
1403 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Garden District)
+1 504-899-8221
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 1,839 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Garden District
Mystic, Connecticut
“Had Lunch There”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had a 1:30 walking tour across the street from the restaurant so naturally I planned on having lunch there. It was a Tuesday and they weren't busy at all. They asked my name at the front desk and from then on I was addressed as Mr. -------. I was seated on the second floor in the room with lots of windows and it was light and pleasant.
Everyone says how formal it is there but to me it was very comfortable and relaxing.The three or so waiters that covered my table were young and friendly. They made sure I was aware of the 25 cent martinis,so of course I had a couple.
Lunch was fine but in New Orleans it's hard not to find good food. It was another very good bowl of gumbo!
If anything, I'd like to tell you to rest at ease, lunch at Commander's was fun, relaxed, tasty and surprising affordable. Have fun.

1 Thank dp122800

• Thai first
UK
“Great!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I visited the restaurant for our wedding anniversary and weren't disappointed. We booked in advance for lunch. The turtle soup was lovely, as were the 25 cent cocktails!!! You an only have 3 though!! Loved the atmosphere and everything that the restaurant stands for. It was busy but the service was efficient and friendly. You will have to dress up and men will have to wear a dinner jacket but I quite like that!! They have them there to borrow too!) Definitely visit if you want an up-market experience! I loved it!! Book in advance though!!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ELBP2510
Shreveport
“Worth the Ride to the Garden District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

You can feel the tradition, the service is remarkably good, and the food is excellent. The turtle soup was incomparable and the cochon de lait was outstanding.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank James B
Riverton, Wyoming
“Looked forward to it too much perhaps?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We booked our reservation for Commanders Palace back in July. My sister ordered a special dress to wear, my husband a dress shirt and tie, and I wore a nice dress. We were the only ones in the resturant with colored clothing. We didnt mind, but it was almost as if we were dressed up the most, and even the waitress said how nice we got so dressed up for dinner! I suppose it isnt as fancy as some people say!

Food was okay. For dinner we all three had turtle soup (decent, but Desire's on Bourbon is just as good), my sister and husband ordered the filet mignonn (which was deliciois. My husband said its the best he's ever had and would go back there just for that). I ordered scallops, which were delicious as well (but nothing too fancy). I ordered the bread pudding I had heard so much about. It was..okay. It was good, but I dont know if perhaps I was looking forward to it for so long I thought it would be the best bread pudding ever (its really not that special in my opinion). My husband and sister ordered cheesecake which was delicious, but once again..not the best I've ever had.

The service was very good, with no complaints. We were taken through the kitchen and to the diniung area across a little courtyard. Overall, a good dinner but I wouldn't put it on my "MUST DO" list the next time we visit NOLA. My husband, however, says he would go back just for the filet mignon! He loved it! Difference of opinion I suppose.

1 Thank Hannah G
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“They take good care of you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stopped in for a drink after walking around the Garden District and the receptionist graciously fit us in for dinner the following night. There are 2 ground level dining areas, one is inside the main building and the other is across the courtyard. The main dining room is elegant, and inside it, going up to the 2nd floor on the stairs the James Beard awards are framed. The room seemed dove grey with pale wood and was very beautiful.

The other dining room is across the large courtyard and is a glassed in area, complete with a glassed in tree growing right in the room. Both dining rooms are equally nice.

Our waiter, Daniel, was very helpful and as the evening went on, we got to know him a little and he was fabulous to converse with. We started out by picking wine, from their extensive list. We chose a French red, at $115, to splurge. We had a little talk with the sommelier, and were very happy with our choice. Then we had it decanted.

Next was appetizer choice and my husband got a trio of soup, turtle, mushroom and something else, all fabulous. I had a Shrimp and Tasso Henican appetizer, which was in a spicy sauce, but not toooooooo hot. It was great. We took a leisurly time eating this and then it was time for the entrees. I had the lamb, which wasn't chops or anything, but a joint I think, but it was cooked with rosemary and the sauce was unbelieveable, dark brown and luscious and the meat was plentiful and tender, falling off the bone great.

My husband had scallops which were great also...then we split a bread pudding souffle, which came with whisky sauce and it was a great ending....all in all, we dressed up for this occasion, and we were treated with great care and consideration by these fabulous southerners.

1 Thank jackie F