“Wonderful meal”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #28 of 1,992 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

We had the six course tasting menu. Very earthy and rich. The staff was quite attentive. From the car valet to the bus boy. The waiter presented us with autographed menus from the chef at the end of meal; quite a nice souvenir. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My family and I made a reservation for Saturday evening at 7:00, and we were seated in a garden type room on the second floor. Very nice decor. I had eaten here once before for lunch and was looking forward to eating at Commander's Palace again. I started my meal with red wine sangria and would have loved to have more than 1 glass but I was driving! The sangria is really good! All three of us opted for the special meal which included a choice of 3 entrees, soup or salad, and dessert. The soup of the day was the curried shrimp soup with citrus. I had ordered this soup when I ate here for lunch and raved on it, so I was so excited it was offered again! My husband ordered it also. It is a delicious soup with pieces of shrimp. It is a little spicy, but it is fine for me. My daughter was very happy with the seafood and chicken gumbo. The choices for the entrees were quail, pecan-crusted drum, and Greek-style redfish. Hmm, I thought. Well, all three of us decided on the redfish, and I am telling you, that was the best fish I've had in a long time! It has a very mild flavor, not real strong or fishy tasting, good texture. The fish was served with olives, tomatoes, etc, but that did not overwhelm the fish, but was a good complement of flavors. I had never had redfish before and will certainly order it again. I hope this restaurant has it on their menu next time I visit. The server had said that they do change their menu options frequently. However, one thing is a given and is always on the menu--the bread pudding souffle with whiskey sauce! I highly recommend it! It is however, $3.00 more added to the 3-course meal price and has to be ordered when you order your entree. The service was wonderful. All three of us left the restaurant very happy!

1  Thank arewenotmen
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely lovely restaurant. So much character. The soup starter was good. The fish was quite good and the creme brulee was amazing with a beautiful presentation. The service was good. Very friendly. Well worth the visit.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This place is one of my wife's favorite establishment's to eat at in New Orleans. She loves the ceremony and over abundance of waitstaff that surround you. We were greeted by no less then 8 servers at the hostess station...and that's all they do apparently. Some of the highlights from our meal were the "Bear Claw" foie gras, which even though it was a bit over cooked still had amazing flavor, the Veal was very good, and the scallops extremely well done. The Three Potato Boulanger didn't live up to expectations, but they did have a nice cheese plate selection. The bread pudding souffle for dessert was perhaps the best course of the meal.
The location is a bit of a ways away from the French Quarter and overall this place might be best enjoyed by large groups where you can do many dishes and share some of the best, but if you're in the Garden District it might be a nice way to spend an evening dinner.

1  Thank DGVNJ
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had Saturday brunch reservations that had to be booked through the phone even though their website has a online reservation page. Their website said there was no availability but when I called they had several time options open. We arrived at 11:30am, and parked on the street.
The hostess took us through the kitchen to get to our table. Not many places let you see their kitchen!
I tried the Bloody Mary where they pour the vodka in at the table for $7.25. My boyfriend had a diet coke; for $3.00 they refilled his drink several times. For appetizers I had the Bacon and Eggs which was the best egg I ever ate! My boyfriend had the Gumbo, which was yummy. For the entrees we had the Banana Foster's Pancakes and Candy Apple Lacquered Quail. Both delicious! For dessert, we weren't thinking and both ordered the Creole Bread Pudding Soufflé, which was good. My boyfriend had a coffee for $3.00, which was pretty strong.
The Jazz Band was excellent. They go around to every table and ask you for your request.
Amazing food and experience (jazz music) for a great price. For two persons, subtotal: $86.25 + tax: $8.40 = $94.65 before tip. I think that's very reasonable for the service, food, and experience that we had. We left a little after 1:00pm, so allow at least an hour and a half for brunch.
Commander's Palace is an amazing place, can't wait to go back to New Orleans and have another meal here!