“Amazing... I didn't know brunch could be this delicious”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #27 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had Saturday brunch reservations that had to be booked through the phone even though their website has a online reservation page. Their website said there was no availability but when I called they had several time options open. We arrived at 11:30am, and parked on the street.
The hostess took us through the kitchen to get to our table. Not many places let you see their kitchen!
I tried the Bloody Mary where they pour the vodka in at the table for $7.25. My boyfriend had a diet coke; for $3.00 they refilled his drink several times. For appetizers I had the Bacon and Eggs which was the best egg I ever ate! My boyfriend had the Gumbo, which was yummy. For the entrees we had the Banana Foster's Pancakes and Candy Apple Lacquered Quail. Both delicious! For dessert, we weren't thinking and both ordered the Creole Bread Pudding Soufflé, which was good. My boyfriend had a coffee for $3.00, which was pretty strong.
The Jazz Band was excellent. They go around to every table and ask you for your request.
Amazing food and experience (jazz music) for a great price. For two persons, subtotal: $86.25 + tax: $8.40 = $94.65 before tip. I think that's very reasonable for the service, food, and experience that we had. We left a little after 1:00pm, so allow at least an hour and a half for brunch.
Commander's Palace is an amazing place, can't wait to go back to New Orleans and have another meal here!

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I ate here for dinner while visiting New Orleans. The atmosphere and staff were top notch. The food was excellent. We had escargot first. My husband had a salad and I tried the soup du jour which was excellent. For entrees, we had the scallops and the pecan crusted gulf fish. Both were very fresh, well presented and delicious.

Overall I thought this was a wonderful restaurant.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I visited New Orleans for a five-day getaway in early October 2012. We had heard of Commander's Palace and been told that it was one of the "must go" places to eat while in New Orleans. After dining there on a Thursday night, I can confirm that it is truly a special place. There is a reason it has survived since the late 1800's - the food and service are incredible!

The experience starts upon arriving at the old turquoise mansion in the Garden District across the street from the historic Lafayette Cemetery No. 1. We entered the restaurant, stepped into a hallway and were immediately welcomed by the maitre d' and a host of waitstaff who escorted us to our table. We didn't have to wait long before Jeff B, our waiter, introduced himself. Jeff would serve us well all night. We started with cocktails (sazerac for me of course) and then didn't waste any time before launching into appetizers, a bottle of wine and then entrees and dessert. I don't know what to say about the food that hasn't been said a million times before. The appetizers were incredible, particularly the shrimp and tasso. The soups are amazing - the turtle soup is legendary and the gumbo was the best I've had. Even the soup du jour, a parsnip soup, was outstanding. The entrees were phenomenal - I had pecan crusted black drum and my wife had duck. As amazing as the entrees were, they were probably the weak point of the evening - that's how incredible everything else was. Finally, we had dessert and it was nothing short of mind-blowing. The bread pudding souffle was the greatest souffle I have ever had. The apple buckle that my wife ordered was equally terrific. All in all, just a wonderful evening. The food was amazing and the service was attentive but not intrusive. In fact, it was so good that we also went to the Jazz Brunch on Sunday.

The brunch was almost as good as the dinner. Our server, Adriane, was excellent if not quite as good as Jeff. The menu was a great brunch menu and the Bananas Foster pancakes are the best pancakes I have ever had in my life. I had to get another order of the turtle soup of course as well as another souffle to finish it off. What a great way to finish our trip to New Orleans before going to the airport!

If I had to suggest dinner or brunch, I would suggest dinner because I think it is a more formal, classic Commander's Palace experience but the brunch is also outstanding. I can't wait till we visit New Orleans again - Commander's Palace will be the first restaurant we visit. Coming from Los Angeles, we also though the prices were very reasonable. I have had many meals in LA that cost 50% more and weren't half as delicious. Five stars.

2  Thank ToddLosAngeles_CA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

A favorite for locals and a must for visitors. Creative menu with attention to detail. Sit on the patio, weather permitting. Tour the garden after dinner

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had reservations for the Sunday Jazz Brunch for 7 people. First, the food was great -- my lamb debris appetizer was decadent, shrimp and grits perfect and the bread pudding spectacular. But, it seemed like they were off their game. We arrived promptly and were ushered to the Garden Room. As we were brought to the table, the hostess realized that the table was set up for the wrong number of people. No problem, we were brought outside to the waiting area while the table was set appropriately. At the same time, another group was also brought out as their table was also set improperly. We were reseated without a problem. When the first course arrived, one of the dishes was the wrong dish, and it happened again with one of the main courses. Again, no problem, the proper dishes were brought out. One of the people went to the bathroom and their was no toilet paper and no paper towels. Finally, as we were leaving, someone asked the maitre d' about the the small glasses that were being brought to some tables. The response -- "Those are for our special customers" -- left a bad taste in our mouths after spending over $400; obviously, not special enough. So, the meal was with mixed emotions.