“It could not have been better!”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #40 of 2,044 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed October 2, 2012

After a morning getting drenched in Lafayette Cemetery, we were more than ready to have lunch at Commander's Palace! And, what a fabulous experience! Everyone is so welcoming and friendly, making you feel they are there just to serve you! The food was beautifully prepared and presented and the 25 cent Martinis are too good to be true! We had heard descriptions of the bread pudding souffle from two different locals, and they both almost had tears in their eyes when describing it. Well, they were not wrong. It is a must have. I only wish I could lunch at Commander's every day of the week! Don't miss it!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,160)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Commander Palace is in the heart of the Beautiful Garden District an Elegant place to dine on your stay in this wonderful City. We dined here for the first time without making a reservation. We arrived around 7.00pm to be greeted with a line of staff dressed in late 18 hundreds period uniforms. I explained we had not made a reservation but that was fine on this occasion the gentleman at the desk said. then ask my name and then we were escorted to the dinning room.

The dinning area which we were placed was two or three flights of beautiful banister stairways, where more staff greeted us on the way up. The room was very pleasantly lit by many chandlers on dimmed lights that gave the feeling you had your own private space but light enough to read the menus.

We intended having the Happier Hour Menu but was told they did not do it anymore, strange as I had researched the menu on the Internet and it was still up there. So we ordered from the Dinner Menu.

I ordered starters,

Entrées
Garlic Crusted Wild White Shrimp
A sauté of sweet summer corn, smoky tasso, crispy garlic,
North shore legumes, and ripped herbs with sauce Acadian $27.00

The meals were well presented and whats more the flavours were just right not over powering. My copy of the Time Out Book on New Orleans puts the Restaurant in the Budget category which surprised me when reading, BUT looking at the prices I have to agree. BUT what wonderful settings to dine in and pleasant courteous and efficient staff

We can thoroughly recommend a visit when your in New Orleans.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Hands down, one of the best meals of my life. We came here for Saturday brunch. Service is amazing. WOW...we were blown away! While the place looks run down outside, it is beautiful inside. I only wish Commander's Palace had a sister restaurant here in San Francisco so that I could experience it again and again.
As soon as we sat down, the house band came to our table and played requests for us! We were even asked to join a parade behind the band as it went around the restaurant. So much fun!
Let's get to it. The food. No words to describe it. Everything was delicious. Not a morsel left on any plate. The best dessert was the rum cake. Don't be fooled by everything else!
WONDERFUL!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I dined at Commander's Palace last week as part of a walking tour we were on. It was such a scrumptious experience. The restaurant has such an historical atmosphere that resonates throughout the whole establishment. Our dining experience was phenomenal, the meal coupled with well choreographed service created a special memory for us that will last a long time. The appetizers included a wonderful shrimp dish, and then turtle soup which was delicious, then for our entrees, I had the duck and my husband had the pork, both were gorgeous and wonderful. For dessert we both had the bread pudding souffle which was to die for.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had lunch reservations and we were so impressed! The staff was outstanding - every person we passed while walking through the restaurant thanked us for coming in. I had the creole gumbo, alligator, and bread pudding, which were all new dishes to me and amazing. My husband had salad and pork which he loved.

Commander's Palace was definitely an experience! It lives up to its reputation. Wish I could have had more of those 25 cent martinis but I was driving!