“A great evening!”
Review of Emeril's Delmonico

Emeril's Delmonico
Reserve with OpenTable
Emeril's Delmonico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 2,019 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: Erato Street
Transit: Streetcar stop at Erato Street
Description: Located on the famed St. Charles Avenue streetcar line, Delmonico, the legendary, century-old institution, is an icon in the restaurant industry and has been a cornerstone of traditional Creole dining since 1895. Reopened by Emeril Lagasse in 1998 after an extensive historic renovation, Delmonico continues today serving a modern style of Louisiana's Creole cuisine with Emeril's warm style of service in a grand setting.
Reviewed March 4, 2009

Honestly, I don't understand the negative reviews I've read- my experience was nearly perfect. For a business trip, we made reservations weeks in advance for a Saturday night's dinner. We were seated exactly on time upstairs in a lovely front room with a view. The host and staff were very inviting and polite. Our wait staff team (yes, team) were both personable, warm, and highly attentive. I was unable to decide, so Frank arranged a tasting menu for me- perfect! The wine list was loaded with choices for all tastes and budgets, so we started with an Italian pino grigio and moved to a full bodied malbec. From the house "wedge" salad to the specialty appetizers to the steak entrees and desserts, we were thrilled time after time with our food. One dish out of 8 we sampled was simply "very good", not phenomenal. Across the board, Frank and the chef made amazing choices with house specialties that were simply stunning, gastronomic delicacies. I will no doubt be back again, both for the great food and service. If you love food, let the wait staff choose for you- I adored dishes I would never have expected or tried, and was highly impressed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,025)

Reviewed January 12, 2009

Delmonico was truly a treat and I would recommend it to anyone interested in fine dining. You can take the St. Charles trolley right to the doorstop for $1.25 round-trip once you are in the French Quarter, and it is a ride worth taking!

Once there, I had a wonderfully prepared lamb dish with an excellent tartare starter, and everyone in our group (including two die-hard foodies) commented on the superb quality of their meals. If the hanger steak is on special when you go, GET IT! Our server, a dead ringer for James Carville at 25, was attentive to our every need and never missed a beat. The wine list is to DIE FOR.While I passed on the $5,000 bottles, they also provide a staggeringly good selection of moderately priced entries, and Delmonico's markup is reasonable. All in all, a great experience and I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed December 12, 2008

After years of missed opportunities, my wife and I returned to New Orleans and were lucky enough to get a reservation at Delmonico with another couple. We were all disappointed.

Where to start? We ate on the second floor and it was too crowded. Its probably workable if there are only 2 people at the tables in the center, but when 4 people are crammed into a table your chairs are up against those from the next table.

We were disappointed with the service. I asked if the caesar salad had any anchovies in it and they said no; I ordered it and it did. The restaurant did not charge me for the salad, but I really detest the flavor of anchovies.

Another big disappointment was the steak. My friend and I each ordered a filet mignon--he ordered a 6 ounce and I ordered an 8 ounce. When they both came out, they were the same size...my 6 ounce had been downgraded to an 8 ounce. Despite showing 2 steaks of equal size to the waiter, he said they were different. No one wanted to make a scene so I accepted it, but removed the difference in costs of the 2 filets from the tip.

The food was average for a restaurant. It wasn't bad, just not what we expected for a restaurant with this reputation and for the prices we paid.

Given the cramped condition, service, order errors, and price, I have to give this one star. Sorry, but Emeril should be embarassed that this restaurant has his name on it.

--J

1  Thank Jeremy N
Reviewed November 10, 2008

The atmosphere was nice. The lighting was too dim for my liking because I prefer to see what I am eatting. They sat us upstairs in the room they has set up for a large group. We didn't mind it too much . (The large party ended up being the New Orleans Saints defensive line.) The wait staff was very attentive and did a wonderful job.

The food was excellent. The only complaint was that the gumbo was too salty and the flank steak wasn't cleaned correctly. The "Pan Fried Redfish with Fingerling Potato "Lyonnaise," Tomato-Bacon Stewed Green Beans and Red Pepper-Shrimp Velouté Sauce" was great. The "Pan Seared Cypress Island Salmon with Double Corn Spoon Bread, Wilted Mustard Greens, Crisp House Cured Bacon and Roasted Tomato Butter" was very good also.

I was pleasantly surprised because when he was on the Food Network, I didn't think he know what he was doing.

Reviewed October 14, 2008

The description indicated this was a classic dining experience.
We checked and they were allowing jeans so I was a little unsure of what to expect. Needless to say in jeans you were a bit under dressed for such a beautiful restaurant. The restaurant reminded me a bit of an older house but in the beautiful and elegant way older homes can seem. Linens on the table and a team of servers who could ask for more. This we by far the best meal we consumed during our time in New Orleans. It seemed like quite a value for the treatment and dinner we received.