“Very good food, paying for ambiance”
Review of Emeril's Delmonico

Emeril's Delmonico
Reserve with OpenTable
Emeril's Delmonico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 2,033 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: Erato Street
Transit: Streetcar stop at Erato Street
Description: Located on the famed St. Charles Avenue streetcar line, Delmonico, the legendary, century-old institution, is an icon in the restaurant industry and has been a cornerstone of traditional Creole dining since 1895. Reopened by Emeril Lagasse in 1998 after an extensive historic renovation, Delmonico continues today serving a modern style of Louisiana's Creole cuisine with Emeril's warm style of service in a grand setting.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The Delmonico had very good food - the steaks are outstanding. But don't expect large-cut portions. You're paying for the ambiance and service. All of the servers were very friendly and attentive. It's away from the Quarter but easily within walking distance or you can take the St Charles Trolley from Canal St (takes 7-8 minutes).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I recall my first meal at Emeril's Delmonico quite fondly from 10 years ago. The food, service, and atmosphere were all perfect. I regret to note that the glory days have faded and Delmonico's is now an average steakhouse in a town of exemplary restaurants.

The service was attentive but too familiar with repeated "I got you, man" form the lead server. The drink specials showed a degree of creativity but were not on a par with some of the other great cocktail creations in town.

I ordered an oven roasted filet to be preceeded by a soup. The soup was delicious and just what i had hoped for. The filet was undercooked. The siutation was resolved quite quickly by our server without further problem. The recook was great.

The desserts were average for what was available elsewhere in New Orleans. One of the real disappointments is the exorbitantly priced coffees for after dinner. Is it not enough just to get a good fresh cup of coffee after the meal? Why must there be $15 coffee choices?

In all I can say that it was not a bad experience but for the money, I would go elsewhere. One just has too many fabulous alternatives in town.

1  Thank rossharris
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Took our family to Delmonico's for early dinner on New Year's Eve. When booking, was told only time available was 10:15pm, then they offered to try to get us in at 5, which worked great for us! Meal was pricey, but we anticipated that, and really found not much different from restaurants in the French Quarter. Our meals were all fantastic--flavors we do not get in the Midwest. Excellent place to go for a special occasion and celebrate!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a family gathering of over 40 people on a Saturday night before a Saints game. The menu was somewhat set, but delicious. They did everything they could to accommodate us including splitting the bill over numerous credit cards. I had low expectations for the evening, but was very pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

First the good. We made reservations weeks in advance of New Years Eve, and the hostess was diligent about following up. She called us and confirmed our reservation two days prior on the phone, and we had no problem being seated on time. We arrived a little bit early to have a drink at the bar before dinner. There was a pianist in the bar area, and the music was good.

The service was a team event which seems better suited for a more casual environment. I think we had no fewer than 5 waiters/waitresses at our table delivering wine, bread, appetizers and eventually the main course. I can see some advantage as far as coverage, but it was a little too casual for what for us was a more formal night out. We did not have to wait on anything to arrive at the table, but we also felt a little disconnected having so many people waiting on us. But honestly, they got the job done.

We were expecting to be overwhelmed by the food. It was good, but we were not overly impressed. I had the New York strip, medium, and my wife had the filet, medium rare. The steaks were good and prepared correctly, but nothing to write home about. I can list 5 steak houses off the top of my head that can do it better. There were however, some highlights. The fried oysters appetizer was wonderful, and I highly recommend it. The mac and cheese side was rich and cheesy, and the black eyed peas and cabbage side was the perfect addition for a New Years celebration. The wedge salad was notable, and the blue cheese dressing paired perfectly with Emeril's Red Red Wine. It's a Syrah and one of the less expensive wines on the restaurant's very comprehensive list, and we enjoyed that selection quite a bit.

The atmosphere in the restaurant dining room was LOUD. It wasn't just one table--it was lots of tables. To us it was very strange for a top-end restaurant. It may have been just a raucous New Years celebratory time, but it was only 8:15pm. My friend who grew up in New Orleans thinks it's just that people are louder than in other parts of the country. If that's the case we simply need to adjust our expectations and roll with the local culture. It could just be that simple.

Overall, no real complaints. If I went back I would order something besides steak. I really wanted to rave about this place. It's good, but it's not exactly rave-worthy. To be fair, New Years Eve is probably not the best time to do an overall evaluation of any place. It was an enjoyable, solid restaurant pick for a special occasion, but I think next time we'll try something else.

2  Thank kmantexas