“Don't know how to cook a steak”
Review of Emeril's Delmonico

Emeril's Delmonico
Reserve with OpenTable
Emeril's Delmonico is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 1,946 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Garden District
Cross street: Erato Street
Transit: Streetcar stop at Erato Street
Description: Located on the famed St. Charles Avenue streetcar line, Delmonico, the legendary, century-old institution, is an icon in the restaurant industry and has been a cornerstone of traditional Creole dining since 1895. Reopened by Emeril Lagasse in 1998 after an extensive historic renovation, Delmonico continues today serving a modern style of Louisiana's Creole cuisine with Emeril's warm style of service in a grand setting.
Stamford, Connecticut
“Don't know how to cook a steak”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Ordered steak medium; came out raw. Asked for medium. Waited 5 - 10 minutes. Got it back. Still extremely rare and unedible for me.

2 Thank Aileyfan

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
“Food was great - Decor was lacking”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We called last minute for seating and they accommodated us. We were seated upstairs...not sure if another part of the facility is nicer, but the decor was a serious disappointment. Carpet squares, boring brown walls, folding tables, and chairs showing their age (not at all what I expected when paying good money for dinner). Also, the shutters overlooking the street were closed and the only open windows looked at the brick walls of the adjacent building.

We ordered the Provolone and Pancetta Stuffed Bread, Filet Mignon, Snapper (a Mexican take), Baked Macaroni & Cheese (it has a slight spicy kick to it), and White Chocolate Bread Pudding. All of the food was great and the smaller portion sizes kept us from getting too full.

Ashley did an amazing job keeping our drinks full and making sure we were taken care of.

Eugene, Oregon
“Just Outstanding!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

A great experience: well worth the visit during your time in The Big Easy. A beautiful space, wonderfully crafted drinks, attentive service, and a menu worthy of any foodie. The small plates themselves could provide a satisfying and complete meal: but why stop there?!

Medicine Hat, Canada
“WOW!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

What a fantastic experience! The food was absolutely delicious and the service outstanding. I highly recommend the bananas foster!

Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Not as good as the first time but still great”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was our second time at Delmonico’s. The first time we came here we were absolutely blown away by it. It was hard to imagine better service or food. In fact, we had the best steaks that we’d ever eaten. I cannot call our second dinner here a letdown, but unfortunately it didn't quite live up to the incredible memory that we had.
The service we had on a recent visit was very good but just missing a step from our prior visit. Perhaps our waiter was new or newer. The appetizers that we ordered were great. My wife had the crawfish gnocchi and I had the Oysters Bienville. Both were elegant and delicious. Then we both ordered those amazing rib steaks – the one’s we’d been dreaming about for three long years. And they were really, really good. They were still quite likely the best steaks we've ever had in a restaurant. But- they weren’t quite as good as the first time. Ordinarily I would put it up on the fact that they had improved over time in our memories, except that both of us were able to put our finger on the difference almost immediately: salt.
The first time, they had been overly salted. They were so salty it almost burned. The salt had formed a good hard outer crust. And they were insanely good. This time they were salted much more normally. Whether there’s been a change in the kitchen or too many people complained about the steaks being too salty, I don’t know, but we were saddened by the change.
But that being said, they were still beautiful, well-aged, perfectly cooked pieces of meat, and I would be happy to eat one any night of the week.
My only other critic about the restaurant was the wine service. Considering that the wine list is a binder, I was a little surprised that a sommelier didn't help us with the selection. I’m sure that had I asked they would have sent her/him over, but I thought it strange that it wasn't automatic when I said that I wanted to order some wine, considering the scale of the restaurant and the length of the wine list.
I know that I hit on a few negatives in this review, but overall they dinner was extremely positive and I’m sure we will come back for a third visit the next time we visit New Orleans.

• Visited April 2013