“Fantastic Birthday Dinner!”
Review of GW Fins

GW Fins
Reserve with OpenTable
GW Fins is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2,034 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Bourbon, Dauphine
Transit: Bienville & Rampart
Description: Experience the cuisine that has created raving fans of local diners and national and local food critics alike. Chef Tenney Flynn (two time winner of "Chef of the Year" in New Orleans Magazine) ensures the highest quality seafood by flying in products from around the globe and featuring only the best from local waters - both at their seasonal peak. This commitment to freshness and variety are two of the many reasons GW Fins prints its menu daily and has received numerous glowing reviews in The Times-Picayune (4 beans), Food & Wine, Southern Living and Esquire magazines. We look forward to serving you soon so we may learn what you think.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The service, food and cocktails were wonderful....overall spectaular experience.

We walked in and were greeted by a warm hostess and were told our table would be ready in about 15 minutes. We were seated at the bar and the bartender was welcoming and attentive. Our table was ready in 15 min as promised.

Our server was Moose who was knowledgeable and attentive, yet not overbearing. We were celebrating my boyfriends birthday and odur table was decorated with glitter and a scroll with his name and bday engraved on it...very nice touch that made us feel special.

For apps the lobster dumplings were one of the best apps we've ever had. The tuna tare tare was also very fresh and wonderful. My boyfriend ordered the scalibut and I ordered the snapper. Both were so fantastic. Chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream was rich, velvety and so very yummy.

I highly recommend GW Fins...superb all the way around!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,421)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were pleased as a group of six. Staff were pleasant, seasoned, and knowledgeable regarding the menu, the selections easily pleasing our group of foodies. The several fish dishes were exceptional, and the appetizers and salads all beautifully presented and tasty. (We have a habit of sampling each others' choices.)

Prices were reasonable. For a large restaurant located in an easily accessible French Quarter location, all of us left entirely satisfied. No complaints!

1  Thank DJT12
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I consider myself a foodie. I enjoy a nice restaurant with great ambiance and excellent food; when all three of those are met, I don't mind paying above average prices. My two companions and I all ordered something different so we could share and taste a good sampling of what Finn's had to offer. The food was very good, however; I felt that for the price the portions were very small. I am an average sized woman and I actually could have eaten more. As others have stated, the Lobster Dumpling appetizer was delicious and I really enjoyed the Snapper. After being notified that we were celebrating my birthday, our waiter returned with a complementary flourless chocolate cake desert and a souvenir menu with my name (which was misspelled, he never asked how to spell it) and the date referenced.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

While in New Orleans, we took others' advice on Tripadvisor and made a reservation got GW Fins.
Although pricey, we loved our meals! It was a special treat, and I know we will return!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Conveniently located in the French Quarter, and with a very attractive interior layout, this is one for the "visit again" list.
The menu, although mostly fish as expected, was really interesting, with unusual variations on common themes. Making a choice was hard! The food was exquisite - I think it would be difficult to go wrong here.
Of particular note, they have a good sized wine list with a high proportional of wines available by the glass. We like this because it gives us an opportunity to sample several different wines during the course of a meal, and perhaps try some more expensive ones that we wouldn't risk buying by the bottle.
Although we were pretty stuffed after the main courses, we decided to take a dessert. We were eyeing the Ice Cream Pie, with pecan crust, but thought it might be too heavy. Thankfully, the waiter convinced us otherwise and we tried it. It was a bit like a slice of cheecake, but with solid icecream instead, and a very thin bottom crust that melded really well with the icecream. It was topped off with caramel cream, and just fantastic.
Like I said, one for the "visit again" list.

Been to GW Fins? Share your experiences!