“Great seafood”
Review of GW Fins

GW Fins
Reserve with OpenTable
GW Fins is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Bourbon, Dauphine
Transit: Bienville & Rampart
Description: Experience the cuisine that has created raving fans of local diners and national and local food critics alike. Chef Tenney Flynn (two time winner of "Chef of the Year" in New Orleans Magazine) ensures the highest quality seafood by flying in products from around the globe and featuring only the best from local waters - both at their seasonal peak. This commitment to freshness and variety are two of the many reasons GW Fins prints its menu daily and has received numerous glowing reviews in The Times-Picayune (4 beans), Food & Wine, Southern Living and Esquire magazines. We look forward to serving you soon so we may learn what you think.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Excellent food, excellent service, quiet enough for a business dinner. Location in the French Quarter could not be easier to get to.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,033)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went to GW Fins in our first night in New Orleans. We didn't have reservation, so we waited for a while in the bar, with a beautiful bottle of wine ...After half an hour, we went to the restaurant and the food was really light and good. Good deserts too. The waiter was very helpful and never disappeared for too long. The atmosphere is very good, elegant and trendy.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Some of the best fish dishes I have ever tasted . this is a magnificent enterprise, run like a finely tuned Rolls Royce! An amazing experience both for the food - & to watch the 'ballet' of the waiters , serving about 200 people seemingly efortlessly....(It was also just round the corner from our hotel ( Chateau Lemoyne)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

It's hard to get a bad seafood meal in New Orleans. Throw a rock and you hit a good seafood restaurant.

With that said I liked this place so much I returned for a second visit.

However, you might be "warned" that this restaurant is not known for regional or local fare. I was told this by some locals.
Rather this chef prepares seafood in any creative way he chooses.

For instance the dish that brought me back was sizzling oysters.
the oysters are brought sizzling in their own shells, with drawn butter. They taste slightly of wood smoke.

Another dish was "scalibut", sliced scallops layered and baked over halibut. Neither of these fish are local but the chef had an ideal he liked.

The shrimp were as tasty as any I've everh had and the red snapper may be the best I've ever had.

The chef must be doing something right because he's won best chef of New Orleans twice.

Reservations: unless you want to sit at the bar, you need reservations.
Prices. appetizers 8-12, entrees in the twenties.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I asked a cab driver where we should eat in New Orleans and he recommended GW Fins. The first time we tried to just stop by, it was a two hour waiting period, so we decided to come back later.

It is possible to make reservations through Trip Advisor, so I booked a table for me and a collegue. Our waiter recommended the sizzling oysters and lobster tail for a starter, and we tried that. Both dishes were extremely good, and the sizzling oyster was hotter than I could imagine, it made a very impressive presentation and tasted as good.

We picked two different fish dishes for a main course, and the taste was very good. They have a good selection of wines, and everything was very reasonably priced.

Dessert was out of the question, we were too full - and I had an Espresso Martini, and that was a drink I would highly recommend.

This is a place to come and eat seafood, if you want a steak - there are plenty of other places to go

Been to GW Fins? Share your experiences!