“Don't Go”
Review of GW Fins

GW Fins
Reserve with OpenTable
GW Fins is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,955 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Bourbon, Dauphine
Transit: Bienville & Rampart
Description: Experience the cuisine that has created raving fans of local diners and national and local food critics alike. Chef Tenney Flynn (two time winner of "Chef of the Year" in New Orleans Magazine) ensures the highest quality seafood by flying in products from around the globe and featuring only the best from local waters - both at their seasonal peak. This commitment to freshness and variety are two of the many reasons GW Fins prints its menu daily and has received numerous glowing reviews in The Times-Picayune (4 beans), Food & Wine, Southern Living and Esquire magazines. We look forward to serving you soon so we may learn what you think.
West Haven, Connecticut
“Don't Go”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was the worst of all the restaurants in N.O. we ate at. The service was slow, and the food was over priced and had no taste. I would never go here again. I don't know why it was packed with people and so highly rated on trip advisor.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Jeff334
Gary W, Owner at GW Fins, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Jeff,

I am Gary Wollerman, Owner of GW Fins. I want to apologize for your disappointing experience at GW Fins. My business partner, the Executive Chef of the restaurant and I are in the restaurant almost every night, because it is so important to us that each guest has a Raving Fan experience. Your overall dissatisfaction is a great concern to us and I would like the opportunity to speak with you further. With your help we can improve our execution and ensure future guests are more pleased than you were.

I am happy to communicate with you by phone or email. I normally am at the restaurant everyday from 10a Central time. Please contact me so I can apologize personally and improve our guests' experience.

Gary Wollerman
GW Fins

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma
“Lovely evening out”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Location is in the heart of the French Quarter. The decor was dark and chic, the service was warm, friendly and efficient. A bit noisy but no more than one would expect.
Starters of grilled octopus and lobster ravioli were PERFECT. The main courses we had were the scallops and the snapper. Both were excellent, the scallops were probably the most perfectly cooked and seasoned, that we have ever tried in a restaurant. They were served with a wildmushroom risotto which was an interesting and flavorful pairing.
For dessert, we shared a creme brulee as we had no room left to have our own dessert.... :) The staff delivered it with two spoons and an understanding smile.
Excellent evening, not a single complaint. Not cheap, but well worth the price.

• Visited January 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“a real let down”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I expected much more from this reastaurant. This was my second visit, and a real disappointment. The food was average but the prices high. Nothing special here. I will not return.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank percurrimus
Madison, Mississippi
“Very Inhospitable”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had eaten at this restaurant previously and had an average experience--average food, with slightly better than average service. Last night we walked up early before going to the theater (for which we were dressed in nice slacks and heeled shoes, which I had worn to work) to try to have a quick dinner. We were told that they did not have any available tables (on a Wednesday night at 6:00 pm with 3/4 of the dining room empty). The female hostess begrudgingly told us that we could eat in the bar area, where the full menu was available. We had to show ourselves there, were not given a menu, and when we sat down at the one empty table in the bar area, another employee, a man, came bustling over before we could even sit down and told us that there was no table service in the bar, and so we had to sit at the bar and order there. We were thoroughly confused, having just received contradictory information from the hostess, and when we questioned him about him, he became ever more rude, so we just chose to leave and find someplace else to eat. New Orleans has way too many good restaurants for us to put up with hostile treatment.

If you are just dying to eat at this place, then I would strongly recommend a reservation, and be prepared to be treated rudely. I will not be returning.

• Visited January 2013
6 Thank MellyL04
Gary W, Owner at GW Fins, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Melly104,

I am Gary Wollerman, Owner of GW Fins. I want to apologize that you found us inhospitible and for the lack of communication about our bar service the evening you were in.

Wednesday night we were not only under staffed but the kitchen crew was somewhat inexperienced. For those reasons we limited our seating to try to ensure the guests served in the Dining Room would get a great experience. Being understaffed prevented us from providing food service at our lounge tables. I have been to restaurants and been told there is not a table available when I am looking at empty tables. It is hard not to be critical of that restaurant.

I am truly saddened that we disappointed you and would welcome the opportunity to have you back as my guest. If you would give me your mailing address. I would like to send you an apology letter along with a Dining Certificate. I am confident we can provide the experience you expect for us.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Gary Wollerman
Owner
WV
“Good food and service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had the tuna which was recommended by my server. Hubby had the parmesan encrusted drum and liked it as well. We shared the fresh baked apple pie. I think the place would be a 5 star if the atmosphere was a bit less noisy. The restrict phones and hats, but the noise level was that of a cafeteria. Price 100 per couple before tip.

Visited January 2013

Been to GW Fins? Share your experiences!