“Excellent food, excellent service”
Review of Jacques-Imo's Cafe

Jacques-Imo's Cafe
Ranked #24 of 2,013 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This extravagant restaurant has long waits and seems to be a favorite among the locals (it was highly recommended to me by friends who'd lived in NOLA). We waited well over an hour for a table on a Thursday night, but they text you when your table is available and there are pretty little parks and cemeteries to walk around while waiting. The interior is best described as idiosyncratic, with murals all over the walls and weird art, and just so many different colors. It's cozy and friendly and warm.

The food is simply out of this world. We had a few things, including such gems as shrimp and alligator sausage cheesecake, duck gumbo, grilled mahi mahi with their version of salsa verde, and, of course, bread pudding for dessert. Everything was superbly prepared, the flavors were expertly combined, and the plating was attractive. For what it is, it's an excellent value. Tip: drinking in public is legal in New Orleans. Grab a drink at the bar after putting your name down (we got their special watermelon mojitos, which were refreshing and delicious) or BYO and take a stroll around the city.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,612)

Reviewed July 28, 2014

If you only go to one restaurant when visiting NOLA, this should be the one. Despite my high expectations, it continuously blows me away each time I visit.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

For the past 3 years I have been waiting to try Jacques-Imo's on a NOLA visit and could never seem to venture past The Quarters! This was my lucky trip! With our party of 6, we were able to make a reservation for a Thursday night. En route to the restaurant our cab was involved in an accident but we luckily switched cabs and made our reservation on time! Our waiter Dustin was incredible! Upon being seated immediately (with a stroll through the kitchen) the most amazing cornbread muffins were brought to the table as well as the alligator cheesecake and fried green tomato appetizers. As a comp from our waiter for our horrible cab ride, this was totally unexpected but an awesome way to start our evening. Everyone in the party ordered something different so we could sample a big portion of the offerings. The fried chicken was perfect......period! I really enjoyed the sides of mashed sweet potatoes and lima beans with rice. No complaints from anyone in the group! There is a full bar offering as well. Dustin offered dessert to our party however everyone was too full because of the generous portions of food served. He reappeared to the table with a plate of 6 spoons, each filled with a dollop of bread pudding which was the perfect ending to a perfect meal and Jacques-Imo's dining experience! Can't wait to return!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stopped by Jacques-Imo's around 7:30 or so on a Friday, and we were told there would be about a 40 minute wait for a table. However, the wait flew by--It was more like 20 minutes or so. (That being said, on a previous Friday evening trip the restaurant was jam packed and we waited for ages--it just depends on the night. If you have enough people (5 or more), a reservation is highly recommended.) The atmosphere is very laid back and fun, and Jacques kept stopping by and chatting with the crowd of people who were waiting. They also offer to take down your cell phone number and text you when your table is ready--that way you can explore uptown a bit instead of being tied to the waiting area. Once we were seated, we realized just how lucky we were, because our waiter (Phil) was amazing! Phil's suggestions on basically everything were spot on. We had the alligator cheesecake and the fried grits for our appetizers, and while both were delicious, the alligator cheesecake is DIVINE. It sounds like an odd dish, but trust me, you want to try this. The cornbread they give you right at the beginning is also great--you could eat nothing but those and still leave happy. For our entrees, we tried the chicken pontalba, the venison, and the duck, all of which were awesome. I had the venison, and it made this country girl very happy, haha! The house salad is spinach leaves with a vinaigrette style dressing. For sides we tried the country greens, corn maque choux, red beans and rice, smothered cabbage, and mashed sweet potatoes--all great. We finished out the evening with some scrumptious creme brulee. Phil kept the drinks and the laughs coming, and the staff as a whole was quick to serve and quick to clear. When family and friends visit, we love to treat them to Jacques-Imo's!

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Arrived at just after 5 on a Thursday and there were already people seated. Very funky atmosphere which I liked. Casual and fun feel. Ordered a wine and tea. The wine wasn't fresh and I never received my tea until I had to ask for it again 10 minutes later. The cornbread muffins were awesome. Ordered the rabbit tenderloin as appetizer and asked for sauce on side. It came with the sauce on it instead. Hubby liked the rabbit, I wasn't a fan. It was also a small portion. Hubby had smothered chicken. Was excellent but should have come with more than one biscuit on top. I had the crab stuffed shrimp. Was a bit greasy but good. The sauce it came in was great. Had a side of corn chaux. Very disappointing. It was canned corn that looked bad and was tasteless. Overall a good place but needs some tweeking.