“Well worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jacques-Imo's Cafe

Jacques-Imo's Cafe
Ranked #14 of 1,932 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
“Well worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

I've been trying to get to this restaurant for years and on my recent trip to New Orleans, I was finally able to do it! Let me tell you, it was well worth the wait! I went on a Wednesday in late May and though they were busy, I didn't have to wait to be seated. I love that you have to walk through the kitchen to get to the dining room, because along the way, you hear all the sounds of food being prepared as well as see things like how clean it is and Creme Brulee being bruleed, but most importantly, the smells...but the time you get to your table you're literally salivating it smells so good in there!

The service is excellent and the servers are knowledgeable, friendly and willing to offer suggestions. Upon being seated, my server brought corn bread and water. Undoubtedly, the best cornbread I've ever eaten! Feeling adventurous and having never tried them before, I started with the Fried Green Tomatoes, I love tomatoes and can't believe it's taken me this long to try these little bits of heaven! I could have eaten an entire table of them and been perfectly happy! But, wanting to try everything won out and I ordered the Blackened Redfish with Crab-Chili Hollandaise and sides ot Sweet Potatoes and Beets. That is probably one of the best pieces of fish I've had in my life, it melted in my mouth and that sauce!!! By this time, I was well on my way to full, but couldn't bring myself to leave without trying the Creme Brulee, it was divine and HUGE!!! So perfectly bruleed and crunchy on top, so velvety and creamy inside! It was the perfect ending to a perfect meal! I walked out of there very full and with all of my senses satisfied! I will definitely be back!

• Visited May 2014

“Delicious Dinner in a Trendy Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The wait is long but its such a fun spot & everything is beyond delicious! Definitely try the alligator cheesecake appetizer!

• Visited March 2014
Simsbury, Connecticut
“Worth the ride to cross off the bucket list”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

My mom and I would have completely overlooked this restaurant on our trip to New Orleans if it was not recommended by family who visited the Big Easy prior. It is pretty far out in the Garden District, past Tulane and Loyola Universities. My mom and I were staying at the Renaissance Arts Hotel and it was about a 20min cab ride back to the hotel – but almost 35min to there with traffic. Like I said, if we weren’t told about this place, I doubt we would have travelled so “far” away from the Quarter and downtown areas. Even the cab driver said it would be well worth it after we couldn’t believe how long the ride was taking. He was right. Plus the homes and views of the universities in the Garden District are stunning.

Once we pulled up to the exterior, we noticed that this place has CHARACTER. Bright colors, a 2-seater “truck” table outside, and just a fun hipster feel. It is also very loud inside and the seats and tables are packed in to this old home.

We got there early for dinner, around 6, as recommended because they do not take reservations for 4 or less people. We were escorted right upstairs to a table after a walk through the kitchen. Yup, you walk right through the kitchen. It throws you off a bit, and don’t look to close or move slow… you might not want to see that your side dishes come out of sterno’s and are scooped on to your plate a la cafeteria style like I did…

We drank all day on Bourbon Street earlier so we opted for water with our dinner and were given complimentary cornbread muffins with green onion on top. They were delish!

I dove right in for my appetizer, the shrimp and alligator sausage cheesecake. I don’t even know how to explain this dish other than you have to try it for yourself. I have never had alligator before and figured this was a good lean in to start. It’s savory, a little creamy and cheesie, and slightly bready. Like a quiche of sorts but not quite. I just don’t know how to describe it, but it was good!

Mom opted for the pan fried drum with shrimp etouffee and mashed sweet potatoes and rice as her sides. I went for the blackened redfish with crab chili hollandaise partnered with the regular mashed potatoes and corn macque choux.

We’re from Bermuda, and when we say pan fried, we expect no breading to be on a fish whatsoever. Just simply seasoned and pan fried. The drum had a serious breading on it which wasn’t very flavorful. However, you could pull it off with the fork and just eat the fish. The sides were good, but the mashed sweet potatoes are heavily seasoned with cinnamon.

My redfish was the saving grace. This was a perfect blackened and lightly panfried piece of fish. Very similar in taste and texture to the drum, white flaky and moist. The sauce was also delicious. For me, you also can’t go wrong with goold ol’ mashed potatoes, and the corn was done sililar to a succotash (no lima beans) but with bell pepper, seasonings, and in a light cream sauce. I practically licked the side plate clean regardless of the sternos it probably came out of!

We opted for no dessert incase we wanted another treat later as it was an early dinner.

The service was rushed. We were in and out in an hour. I think the food prep area is stationed for them to move fast. They clearly like to seat as many people as they can as often as they can and turnover is fast. But it can also be seen to some as sloppy and not relaxed. I won’t hold them against it, but for us, we spent more time in the cabs to and from than we did sitting at our table.

I will say the majority of the food IS good. Go, say you went, and then cross it off the bucket list.

Goshen, New York
“Quintesseentially N'Awlins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

By far - the best restaurant in NOLA with no pretensions or touristy trappings.
The night we went the restaurant also had a grill going across the street char-grilling oysters - using this to place on griddles and serve to restaurant diners - and selling them (1/2 dozen for $12 and 1 dozen for $20) - this added to the atmosphere.
Excellent food and exciting specials (we had the Godzilla - a fried stuffed soft-shell crab with the claws in a dramatic pose served on top of fried green tomato and an eggplant mixture).
Desserts extremely caloric and incredibly reasonably priced (shhh ... don't tell the owner)
Easy cab ride from downtown (10-15 minutes tops) if you take streetcars the tracks are being redone and there is an on-and-off-with-buses challenge. The Garden District (in which this restaurant is situated) is beautiful!

Jackson, Mississippi
“Excellent meal!! Arrive early or expect long waits”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had a fantastic dinner here during our stay in New Orleans for Jazz Fest. We made the mistake of coming late on Friday night our first day there- and were told the wait would be 1.5-2 hours! We left and ate somewhere else nearby instead, and decided to return the next day earlier. We arrive at about 6:00pm on Saturday night and there was only a 10 minute wait. We were served delicious corn muffins immediately along with an appetizer salad. My husband ordered the Red Snapper and I had the barbecue shrimp. We also tried the Alligator cheesecake- which was good but nothing to write home about in my opinion. The bread pudding however- soooooooo good! The water glasses were really tiny and they were pretty good about refilling them- but they should really invest in larger glasses. The restaurant itself is small and funky. The waitstaff was excellent, it felt a little crowded on the inside as they try to fit as many tables as possible inside the house, but it didn't bother us much. Would highly recommend this place and would definitely return on our next visit to Nola!