“Real New Orleans? Real Kitsch! Tasty though.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jacques-Imo's Cafe

Jacques-Imo's Cafe
Ranked #18 of 1,918 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Real New Orleans? Real Kitsch! Tasty though.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We went through the kitchen to get to our seats on the back porch. No kidding, that's more than unique, is there no code for kitchens? Decor must be for the tourist, personally over the top, but food was very good. Very seasoned, not over seasoned for the southern palate. One of the persons in our party asked for sweet tea and it became even more gimmicky. There is never fried chicken without a sweet tea especially if you are going to go so far as to have a watermelon cocktail. Cute if you are not offended by the chicken and watermelon reference! NOT REALLY! Lots of young people, maybe tourist like us, maybe locals while we were there, but I doubt people who eat this type of food on the regular. I grew up in NC and taste like our southern home cooked food. Don't know if its real New Orleans, but it taste good. So silly it almost worked for me.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank carolinatravel728

Seattle, Washington
“Good grief I want to eat here every day.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

The airfare just to get to Jaqcues-Imo's from Seattle every day would be prohibitively expensive, otherwise I would be there no question. If only for the cornbread muffins. If you've had them, please accept my virtual high five right now. Heaven.

We went on a Friday night, got there about 20 minutes after they opened and still had to wait but only for about 10 minutes. Reservations are only accepted for groups of 5 or more. Any wait is worth it. Besides, you can sit at the bar (if room) and have one of their special glasses of rum punch and look at the bad art framed all over the ceiling. Awesome.

As to the food itself, I said right after that this was the best meal I've ever had. It might have been influenced by the excellently strong rum punch, but it's probably true. I had the Chicken Pontalba. Every dinner comes with 2 sides. And the cornbread. They just walk up to you when you sit down and bring you cornbread. Just saying it makes me want it again. We didn't do their special shrimp and alligator cheesecake but most everyone else did. Just go.

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great time, but get here at opening!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I were in town for a few days and staying on Canal. A friend from the area recommended it, so we gave it a shot. We loved it! We got in about 15 minutes before they opened so stopped in next door for a beer to go and wandered the neighborhood. There are some shops and things around, so enjoy. Once they opened we put our name in and sat at the bar for a drink. The bartender was awesome. Whatever their drink special is, try it. We tried two, and they were both excellent. Once we sat down, we ordered the gumbo and the eggplant. The gumbo was very good and very fresh tasting. You could tell it was made in house with great ingredients. The eggplant dish was just excellent! Order it! On recommendation from the bartender, we ordered the country fried veal and the pistachio mahi mahi. The veal was a heavy dish with gravy, but fantastic. The mahi was incredible! For sides we ordered the red beans, mashed potatoes, corn and mashed sweet potatoes. When we come again, we won't order the sweet potatoes but would order the others again. On top of it all, the atmosphere is just fun. It's a cool little place that gets busy and has a lot of character with great food and drinks. Take the time and check this place out early. When your're done eating, wander around and check out the local bars for drinks too.

Old Chatham, New York
“Very good if you're looking for good food in a lively atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

Lively might be an understatement. The average age of our group of 10 was 60+, and while we consider ourselves pretty game, and we all liked what we had to eat and those who served it to us, we agreed that we could not make a steady diet of the noise and energy. Still, however, a great place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

This place is fantastic! I can't wait to return to NOLA this summer so I can eat here again! My friends and I ordered a variety of food: appetizers included crabmeat stuffed shrimp, fried green tomatoes topped with shrimp, and the alligator cheesecake. All were amazing, but my personal fave was the crabmeat shrimp. Our entrees consisted of the grilled redfish, crawfish étouffée, and the barbecue shrimp. All excellent! We literally left here in a food coma.

It's kind of far away from the French Quarter, where our hotel was, so a cab was needed. The ride cost us about $20.