“Outstanding food”

Jacques-Imo's Cafe
Ranked #21 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Wow...
With so many good places to choose from in New Orleans, this little gem stands above the rest.

Located in the Uptown / Riverbend area of New Orleans, this funky little restaurant serves surprisingly excellent Cajun / Creole food.

Don't let the restaurant front deceive you. It's small and not the most elegant of eateries you will find in New Orleans. That being said, the food here more than makes up for it.

We mentioned that it was our anniversary to the hostess. The wait staff really took care of us.

Based on what we read on Yelp, we decided to start with the Shrimp & Alligator Sausage Cheesecake. I know, it's sounds like an odd dish.. Just go with the flow and order it.
It is delicious!
Two people can easily share one portion

We also ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes with Shrimp Remoulade. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't eat tomatoes. These tomatoes were delicious and they were all topped with deliciously large grilled shrimp. Couldn't get enough...Yumm..

The waitress brought us bread pudding out the blue along with two glasses of champagne. Great service.

Unless it's home-made, bread pudding is usually served either too soggy or too thick & rich. This was juuust right. Flaky, warm and light. Absolutely delicious. Hands-down the best bread pudding we've ever had.

Be prepared to wait. There is always a crowd waiting to be seated.
Parking is also difficult in this particular area.

So glad we celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Jacques-Imo's.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Worth the drive. Get reservations or expect a long wait. We arrived at 6pm at had to wait almost an hour and were very lucky that another large party canceled.

The atmosphere is exactly what you would expect for New Orleans. The food was incredible. True NOLA cuisine. The waitress was brand new but was absolutely perfect and the staff is very attentive. We were a group of 8 so we sampled different appetizers which were all excellent (I especially liked an alligator cheesecake - sort of a quiche. The entrees were equally tasty and my only drawback was that I didn't think the house red wine was very good at all. Otherwise, exceptional restaurant and a true NOLA experience.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of joining my dear friends for a business dinner a year ago, was intrigued with EVERYTHING about this place. I took a friend there for his first experience in NOLA, and qe had the BEST meal ever, from the appetizer to the dessert .our waiter was amazing and we left in Awwww! Every time I visit, I will have dinner there!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Jacques-Imo's has tasty local Cajun food with excellent service. Any seafood dish you try will be fantastic. The house salad was even delicious with its fried oyster on top!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I missed Jacques-Imo's when I went for lunch, but came back for dinner and sure happy I did! Inside and out, it is a little different, a little querky, but it doesn't matter, the food is wonderful. I arrived early and was seated quickly, walking tthough the kitchen. Excellent service start to finish, very friendly staff and they know how to serve and spoil you! You are greeted with a homemade cornbread, could be a meal by itself it so good. I decided on the famous shrimp/alligator/sausage cheesecake with a bowl of jambalaya, except it is served on a plate, not in a bowl. I believe, Guy Fieri likes to say "Off the hook", wow, it is a special place, GO!

1  Thank travelnow39