“A Must When in New Orleans”
Review of Jacques-Imo's Cafe

Jacques-Imo's Cafe
Ranked #21 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Pulling up to Jacques-Imo's you'll think to yourself "We're eating HERE?" Don't let the old pick-up truck parked out front fool you. That's only the beginning of it's charm. The restaurant is kind of dark and there are crazy paintings on the ceiling and an eclectic mix of nicknacks on the walls. (While we were there Jacques came in. Our waitress told us you know it's him because he's the one wearing the tye-dyed chef's jacket.) But the setting was nothing compared to the food. The menu really had something for everyone. The left side of the menu is the regular menu and the right side is the specials menu. (The waitress told us the difference between the 2 menus is the page that they're printed on. That the "specials" are always there! Again, an example of how quirky this place is!) We asked the waitress for a few suggestions, and she told us what the most popular dishes were. I was really interested in the blackened lamb sirloin, but debated whether or not to order it, since it wasn't one that she had recommended. I decided to order it anyway, and boy was I glad I did! It was incredibly delicious and cooked perfectly. When I asked the waitress why she hadn't recommended that dish, she told me it was because very few people oreder it. People really don't know what they're missing!!! One person in our party did take the advice of the waitress and ordered the pan fried drum w/ pecan meuniere. (Being from the Northeast, we had never heard of "drum" fish. Apparently it's popular in this part of the U.S. because it was on a lot of menus here.) The drum was so good that she talked about that dish for the rest of the trip. We ate some amazing food while in New Orleans, but this was the one that stood out the most.
Overall, this was a great place. Nice relaxing atmosphere with amazing food. It's a bit out of the way, but well worth the ride!!
I did notice that the website that TripAdvisor has does not bring you to Jacques-Imo's website. Here is their real website: http://jacques-imos.com/
If you have a party of 5 or more, they will allow you to make a reservation, which I highly recommend you do.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Friends brought us here to experience New Orleans the right way! What a cool place! Couldn't believe how we were shuttled right through the kitchen to our table. The paintings everything (literally) were incredible....I sat in awe. Service was excellent, despite the fact that the place was packed and he was waiting several tables. I had never eaten true "New Orleans" type of food.....LOVED IT! The worst part (even though it wasn't that terrible) was the bathroom....1 stall and you had to meander through the kitchen to get to it. I highly recommend checking out this place to get a true feel of the city, their food and their culture!

Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This place is NOLA at its best!!!! Service is outstanding! But be prepared to wait! (2hrs for us)! On the flip side waiting is half the fun!! We ordered starters at the bar.. We had fried green tomatoes and the stuffed shrimp both outstanding!!!! We then waited outside along with the rest of the people and had drinks! Once we were set we ordered right away. I had the red fish I had heard so much about and my hubby had there fried chicken. Both meals were SO good! We shared each others. The red fish is spicy which I loved, but if you don't like spicy don't order it. You also get cornbread muffins that are melt in your mouth good!!!! All around a great experience! Very New Orleans all the way!! Love it! We will be back!!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

You won't believe how amazing the shrimp & alligator sausage cheesecake is until you try it! It is a must on the menu along with the fried green tomatoes meet Godzilla. The atmosphere is very casual & the service is excellent!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had a party of 10 on a Saturday night for a bachelor party. We were loud and slightly over served. We fit right in.

When you walk in to this place, you're lead through the busy kitchen, just like something out of 'Goodfellas'. The place is dark, loud and eclectic.

For dinner we had the alligator sausage cheesecake, rabbit tenderloin, grits and I ordered the pecan drum fish. All absolutely fantastic. This is top notch stuff and they handled our group with ease and a smile. Check it out of you're in town.