Kayak Swamp Tour with Transportation from New Orleans

Book in advance
from
$110.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Canoe & Trail Adventures
from $110.00
More Info
All reviews flora and fauna his knowledge bayou birds louisiana guide wetlands
Selected filters
Reviewed August 29, 2016

My husband and I chose Canoe & Trail Adventures because we wanted a genuine no nonsense experience kayaking a bayou with opportunities to see natural wildlife and learn about the environment. We got exactly what we wanted! Our guide (Chad) was extremely knowledgeable on the flora & fauna of the bayou and history of the surrounding land & waterways. He clearly loved the environment and knew it like the back of his hand.

When an animal was in sight or a natural phenomenon was visible, he would explain it. But he perfectly balanced these nuggets of info with peaceful moments of silence where we could all take it in. We didn't feel micromanaged or the other extreme - left to figure things out on our own.

Some notable "perks":
- included binoculars for use on each kayak/canoe
- cold water and delicious local snacks provided during an onshore break
- a variety of dry bags and boxes at no additional charge
- paddles with drip rings (it's the little things :))
- the guide takes pictures for you and they are available on Flickr
- the life vest are clean and in like new condition
...and a very friendly and accommodating staff.

Some tips/insights:
- They recommend bringing a brimmed hat or purchasing one they offer. Do this! I brought my own and it made all the difference with a majority of the trip being in sunny marshlands.
- Although the launch site is just off a main road the parking felt secure. I wouldn't leave valuables readily visible but we weren't concerned about the security of our vehicle.
- They also recommend shoes or sandals with heel straps. Again, do this! I failed to pack anything but typical flip-flops. I enjoyed walking around in the water when we took a break but the suction of walking in the water nearly pulled my sandals off!

The day we paddled a large school group was launching around the same time as us. I was really impressed by how well they handled so many people at once. I didn't feel crowded or lost in the shuffle. Overall a lovely, relaxing, and personal experience that was everything we had hoped for.

Date of experience: August 2016
Chad A, Manager at Canoe & Trail Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2016

We are genuine! Thank you for the wonderful review. We're working on opening a private launch within the next year.

Reviewed August 23, 2016

We had a fantastic time on the bayou with Matt! Fully knowledgeable about the area and what we were seeing, Matt led us on a journey that we could not have done without him. Not only were we completely safe, but Matt explained the flora and fauna, calmed our nerves around gators, and showed us just how beautiful a swamp can be. I cannot recommend this tour enough. Oh- and they even took pics for us while we focused on our paddling skills! All pics shown were taken by Matt while we glided along.

Reviewed August 22, 2016

Jessica was an amazing tour guide! I live about 10 minutes from the launch site and you would think I am familiar and somewhat knowledgeable about the wetlands around me, but I learned and saw so much that I had never seen before...It truly makes me appreciate the special environment we live in. Thank you Jessica for opening my senses to everything around me!

Date of experience: July 2016
Jessica G, Outdoor Guide at Canoe & Trail Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2016

Wow! Thank you for the great review. I am so happy I could give you a fresh perspective on our local wetlands. Hope we can paddle together again in the future!

Reviewed August 16, 2016 via mobile

My husband and I had a blast on this fun adventure. We thought that the tour would not start until we got in the water, but it started as soon as we were in the car to get transported to the swamp! The drive on the way was relaxing and informative, where we learned about New Orleans, it's history, and the events leading up to and aftermath of hurricane Katrina. The whole crew at Canoe and Trail Adventures obviously love what they do, and it shows by how active they are in their community.
When we arrived at the swamp, everything was set up for us and we were given a lesson on the various ecosystems of Louisiana, particularly the ones we would be exploring that day. We were also taught how to navigate on a kayak, which was great since it was our first time.
The swamp is beautiful! I don't know why I've also had this idea of a swamp being scary (I blame it on movies), but it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Throughout the tour we learned more about the trees, plants, and animals that inhabited the swamps and marshes (there is a difference between the two!), and how balance is maintained in such ecosystems. The stop for lunch was a great time to wade in the water and enjoy the multiple snacks they provided as part of the cost of the tour. We definitely recommend ordering the po'boys during your reservation because they are delicious. My husband and I split a shrimp po'boy, and we still had leftovers - one is more than enough for two people to share.
At the end of our trip, we were brought to a snow ball shop and were treated to a sweet of our choosing. Definitely go with the snow ball. I had the ice cream which was delicious, but the snow ball my husband chose was perfect for such a hot and humid day. Again the ride back to our hotel was relaxing and informative, and the snow ball was the perfect end to a wonderful day.
If trying to decide between companies, I would definitely recommend going with this one. The whole team obviously love what they do, and it shows by the care they put in every detail of this trip. Definitely not just for tourists, as we had some locals from Baton Rouge enjoying the tour as well. Definitely recommend to anyone visiting Louisiana!

1  Thank Leanne0123

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are happy to hear that your experience was enjoyable and truly appreciate you taking the time to review us. If you ever in our area, please give us a call and see if we have any different routes available to explore. Our new twilight paddle is a great way to see the ecosystem in a whole different light. Thanks again!

Reviewed August 7, 2016

This was the absolute highlight of my time in New Orleans. If you are looking for a truly natural experience paddling in the bayou with an outstanding company & an amazingly knowledgable guides, then don’t hesitate to book with Canoe & Trail Adventures.

The pickup in the French Quarter makes accessibility to the launch site very easy and is a big plus for tourists. Chad, the company owner & driver that day, pointed out many sights over the course of the drive - a real bonus!

Safety is paramount for the company and they review everything prior to launching the boats. Plenty of water and snacks are provided with your fee, and the extra cost for the fabulous po’boy is worth every penny. These are large, so no problem sharing!

The paddling is not difficult and the pace is easy with many breaks to stop and learn about the amazing variety of flora & fauna. Matt, our guide, was a virtual encyclopedia and had such a depth of knowledge & love of the environment. It really made the trip an educational experience, as well as a great deal of fun.

The care this group shows for the environment is impressive. While we were paddling, Matt was always on the lookout for invasive species that he would immediately remove. Along with this, he’d pick up trash that had been left behind by others or been blown into the bayou by the wind. Nothing escaped his vigilance, but he did it all so quickly, that he barely broke stride in pointing out what we were seeing as we paddled.

The temperature and humidity were very high, (I went on Aug. 4th) so protective clothing and plenty of water were a must. Matt was diligent in his reminders to drink lots and had brought more than enough water for the constant refills.

In summary, if you want to do a very “untouristy, non-tour” with an excellent company, book with Canoe & Trail Adventures. You will NOT be disappointed!

Date of experience: August 2016
Matt M, Guide at Canoe & Trail Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2016

WOW! Thank you so so much for this AMAZING review! It means the world to me that you noticed all the small things we do, as a company, to help keep our environment clean as possible. Thank you for the mention of the invasive plants. We will keep doing our part to keep our area accessible, even though summer time it gets really tough to keep up with it all. Again, thank you for this great review and we hope to see you again some day!