“Oh sweet temptation!”

Bittersweet Confections
Ranked #9 of 26 Bakeries in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Full service bakery, coffee shop and cafe serving cupcakes, handmade chocolate truffles, quiche, and a full espresso bar. Sandwiches, salads and fresh brewed ice teas as well as waffles on Saturdays and Sunday's until noon.
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Charming spot to seek a treat any time of day. Very fresh, subtle flavors. ... we a lemon cupcake and zucchini bread with coffee for breakfast. Heaven. Plus free wi-fi. Stay away from stale Starbucks croissants and walk over here.

2  Thank bkcrabby

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am a regular visitor to New Orleans, but had not been in this bakery before. I had been to the World War II museum and was walking along Magazine Street when I found it. Since it was afternoon and I was hungry, I stopped in. What a great place for an afternoon snack. I noticed they had a wide selection of freshly made cupcakes. I selected the "Elvis" cupcake that was banana cake, peanut butter cream icing with dark chocolate shavings. I tempted to return to New Orleans just to get another. I also am a regular espresso drinker but am frequently disappointed in the quality of the espresso served in chain coffee shops. I ordered an espresso to go along with my cupcake. The espresso was perfect. First, the espresso was served in a fine china demitasse cup. I never drink espresso out of paper. Second, aroma from the cup had the rich smell of coffee. Third, the crema on top of the drink was clearly thick. Upon sipping the drink, the flavors were great. I was first able to detect the smooth creamy texture of the crema. At the bottom of the sip, was the full robust flavor of the coffee itself. Sipping the espresso, along with my "Elvis" cupcake was great. I might add, the crema was so thick, it left that tell tale residue along the inside of the cup. I know its not classy, but I finished the drink by licking that residue from the cup.

I noticed that the showcase also had a nice collections of chocolates. I didn't try any, but will on my next visit.

I will definitely be back.

2  Thank SCTraveler16
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I tripped upon Bittersweet Confections only because of a planned stop next door at NOLA Artworks Glassworks. Cheryl owns BittersweetConfections.com (725 Magazine St 504/523-2626), but there’s nothing bitter here. Cheryl assured the 3-inch thick freshly made cinnamon rolls topped with her unique cream cheese icing recipe are calorie-free. She also has for sale a bridge in Brooklyn.☺ Cheryl hand-dips huge strawberries into ultra-thick Swiss chocolate. Everything is reasonably priced, and a third less than French Quarter prices, well worth a trip to Central Business District. It is Bittersweet’s signature cinnamon roll depicted in the sign and photos below. Have you ever noticed the first syllable of cinnamon roll is pronounced “Sin”?☺

6  Thank DeanMurphy2020
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just happened upon this place on my way back to my hotel from the WWII museum. Great little place. Everything is made fresh daily on the premises including a wide range of chocolates, cookies, cupcakes, etc. I enjoyed a petit four and took home 3 types of macaroons. There's little NOT to like here. Great place to stop for a cup of coffee and a sweet treat. The staff person was exceptionally helpful and informed of the products. A pleasant experience.

3  Thank NANCANVA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Superb coffee (the aroma from the street is what drew us in), quality beans, expertly made, plus exquisite pastries, chocolates, bon bons, cake (waffles on Saturday) - all made on the premises by enthusiastic young staff. Unprepossessing space, but delightful refreshments.

2  Thank BTR1