“Shrimp and grits!”

The Ruby Slipper Cafe
Ranked #30 of 1,946 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: A neighborhood cafe specializing in breakfast, lunch & brunch. Voted New Orleans Best Brunch Spot 2014 & 2015!
Stonington, Connecticut
“Shrimp and grits!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Went here for breakfast early Sunday morning after driving down from Baton Rouge. Place is airy and comfortable - used to be an old bank and has very high ceilings and lots of light. Had the barbecued shrimp and grits, corned beef hash which was served in small, cut-up pieces instead of the typical mash, an omelet, hash browns, biscuits and coffee. Everything was great, but the shrimp and grits was the best of this dish I've ever had. I'm still thinking about it.

• Visited November 2013

Overland Park
“Lunch”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Was not expecting such a great meal!!! The staff is great, atmosphere was perfect! Will definitely make this a stop on my next visit to New Orleans!

Denver, Colorado
“A Diamond of a find”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I'm originally from NOLA with family still there. We flew to NOLA for a family wedding in the French Quarter. I was amazed to see how much the Quarter has been spruced up and even more amazed that the heretofore off-limits-anytime-of-day area east of Ursuline on Royal was quite safe - or so it seemed - to walk during the day. I don't know if I'd do it alone, but walking from the Quarter to Ruby Slipper along Royal, across Esplanade to Touro St. and finally Burgundy is a lovely, great way to enjoy the architecture.....just watch your step given NOLA sidewalks are notoriously uneven. It's a 10 minute walk from the corner of Ursuline and Chartres.

It was the morning after the wedding, so we were all leaving and wanted to have a family brekkies before heading off in different directions. My niece discovered Ruby Slipper and we took her advice.

When we arrived at the restaurant around 9:45 on a beautiful, crisp Saturday morning, it was already packed, so we piled into a booth with two other family members who arrived earlier. They did graciously accommodate us at a larger table - in total we were 7.

The wait staff and manager were a bit harried, but didn't treat patrons as such. They were very kind and attentive. I am happy to report, when my brother asked for his coffee to be heated in a microwave (he loves his coffee steaming), they reported they had no microwave. A restaurant gets extra kudos from me when I find that out. They did, however, bring fresh, steaming hot coffee.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their choices which ranged from an order of crispy bacon and a biscuit to omelets and (for me) shrimp and grits. Nothing brings back memories of home and carnival breakfasts faster than shrimp and grits or grits and grillades.

It took a bit longer than my impatient, hungry group (and myself) liked. We watched longingly as plates of delicious-looking food came from the kitchen. But once the food arrived, everyone was happy.

Some (mostly Northerners) may think grits is an infallible dish, impossible to mess up. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am a grits (and polenta) snob of the highest order. These were superb. Creamy, no lumps with delicious flavor. I could tell immediately the shrimp were from the Gulf. Why? They had flavor! They were extremely tender and the light sauce delicious. I was thrilled with my choice. The dish came with a light, flakey buttermilk biscuit. Normally I ask for the bread to be left off, but I had to try the biscuit. I asked the manager for Steen's cane syrup which he was delighted to bring me (and I think a little taken aback I knew what it was!). The biscuit sopped up the delicious, thick syrup (no HFCS in this icon of sugar cane purity). I was in heaven. by the way, the manager told me the shrimp are cooked to order, another reason for the tender, juicy shrimp.

I tasted my hubby's bacon and was equally delighted with it. Crisp, tasty and meaty. By the way, Steen's goes great with bacon, too!

When we left, we were amazed to see the sidewalk packed with waiting patrons. The host said the wait was 45 minutes! Well, I am too old and set in my ways to wait, but if I had to, I probably would at Ruby Slipper!

Incidentally, I believe this manager is great. I hope they don't move him to the new location near the renovated (again) Saenger Theatre.

1 Thank VillaArneis
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Hearty breakfast”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Bright and fresh décor.
Very good fresh food, good portions.
Service a little slow (but we WERE a group of 10 one morning, returning as just 8 the next!)
When food arrived, all the differing plates were in perfect order, and all of us were happy!

Ventura, California
“Gr8 Breakfast spot...”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

7 for breakfast & service food was delightful... Everyone had something different. Shrimp 'n grits to over easy eggs. Bacon done to perfection, crisp & not greasy.