“Wonderful, Spectacular, Fantastic, Marvelous”
Review of La Belle Esplanade

La Belle Esplanade
Ranked #1 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Reader’s Digest version:

Accommodations- colorful, quirky, clean, comfortable

Location- Perfect! Close enough to the traditional tourist attractions but still removed enough to really gain an appreciation for the city as local residents see it. Walk around!!!

Breakfast- Delicious local treats are served at breakfast each morning and the coffee is top-notch. Spending time chatting with Matthew and Melanie is a wonderful way to start your day!

The other version… The trip was a gift from my husband for my birthday, he was there too, but this really is a story of how my romance began with NOLA…

It is hard to find adequate words to describe my experience at La Belle Esplanade and NOLA in general… wonderful, spectacular, fantastic, marvelous … any other like-minded term you would like to use, please feel free, but understand that nothing could capture the affection I developed for La Belle and NOLA during my all too short 4 day introduction. I say introduction because I fully intend to return again and continue my love affair with the city.

La Belle was the perfect setting for my budding romance. The house itself has a whimsical and charming sense about it. I knew the moment I arrived there that the entire experience would be enchanted. The rooms are spacious, colorful and comfortable and have every amenity you could need, including a delicious treat on your pillow each day. The entire house is filled with unique art, antiques, and knick-knacks that add to its charm. The inn keepers have done a wonderful job in decorating the house and finding pieces that help to tell stories and history of New Orleans and La Belle.

The inn keepers, Melanie and Matthew, I like to think of them more as the match-makers in my story, made my experience worth telling again (and again). They have a wonderful sense of balance between them that makes interactions with them seem effortless and inviting. They both greeted us at our arrival and after Matthews’s introduction to La Belle and NOLA, provided some wonderful tips for our trip. As we discussed each day’s adventures over breakfast, they would provide additional suggestions that helped fuel my love for the city and complimented both my husband and my preferences for exploring the city. They truly helped me see the city through their eyes and hearts.

There is no other place I would stay when I return!

Room Tip: We stayed in Clio- beautiful room and you have the added bonus of a private balcony overlooking Espl...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

New Orleans gets under your skin doesn't it? We are very fortunate to live here and to have the opportunity to see the city through fresh eyes every morning because of guests like you. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your adventures. Come back anytime. M&M

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This was my second stay at La Belle Esplanade -- the first was almost exactly a year ago. I felt like I was visiting old friends. La Belle is comfortable and clean, with roomy suites and period furnishings, and a great location. But the thing that makes staying there a really memorable experience is the owners, Matthew and Melanie. They do all they can to make sure their guests not only enjoy the house but their entire New Orleans experience. They're knowledgeable and helpful in suggesting restaurants, activities and transportation. I appreciated, too, their special attention to dietary needs. Breakfast is wonderful, and no less so for a vegetarian like myself. An early departure meant I couldn't come down for breakfast on my last morning there. When I returned to my room the night before, I found a note directing me to the refrigerator. Melanie had packed me a 'to go' breakfast. Actually it was sufficient for breakfast and lunch (which really came in handy since I was stranded at the airport in Chicago on the way home).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

It was such a pleasure to catch up and share tips and observations about the neighborhoods with an "old hand." As you know, this is a very meat-friendly city so we are always happy to seek out creole vegetarian options for breakfast and make recommendations for vegetarian restaurants. Thanks for the heads-up on the new Sneaky Pickle on St. Claude. We haven't been yet but it's on our agenda as we eat our way through all 600+ NOLA restaurants. The whole inn is a work in progress going through subtle changes for the better, as we're sure you noticed. Just like the city we call home. Don't be a stranger. You have two friends in New Orleans who will always be happy to see you. Cheers! M&M.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a fabulous long weekend. La Bell Esplanade is the center mark, the bull’s-eye of the true NOLA experience. There is no better location to traverse the variety of neighborhoods and city districts. You can expect easy access to The Bywater, the Marginy, the French Quarter, the Treme, Mid City, Uptown, Downtown, and the Garden District. With whimsical style, La Belle Esplanade’s spacious and inviting living spaces and suites give you the feel of sightseeing after the days trek has ended. Local dining within walking distance is pleasingly diverse and culturally significant. Perhaps the best part of our experience at La Belle Esplanade was the warm hospitality we felt from our hosts Matthew and Melanie. Truly excited about their city, they served up daily specialties of local fair from culinary specialists, and filled our itinerary with great tips, options and challenges we would never have attempted had we not received their daily advice. If you stay there you can expect lovely accommodations, great food, excellent service, and a B & B experience you’ll want to do again. We travel and we know the difference between good and great. Stay at La Belle Esplanade and you will too. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Room Tip: We stayed in Les Saintes Suite - nice, spacious, colorful and fun!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

When you went to Dooky Chase's for lunch and Port of Call for dinner that first day, we knew you were going to leave with good memories of your visit. Not because we recommended it, but because your approach to the city on its own terms was a recipe for magical adventures uncovering hidden gems the locals visit all the time. We provided some guidance, but you did the hard work of enjoying every turn of the corner (easy work, really). Anybody who takes the 91 bus that stops in front of our house is okay with me. Smart. Laissez les bon temps router, indeed! If you find yourselves in New Orleans again, don't be strangers. Dooky Chase has the best gumbo in New Orleans! We look forward to seeing you say it on TV. Good memories. -M&M

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights here for my birthday in January. We loved the location as it was close enough to walk to all the action of the French Quarter during the day and a quick (and inexpensive) cab ride back at night. Esplanade is a beautiful area that we enjoyed exploring and ate in the neighborhood one night at Nonna Mia (very good!). The house is unique and quirky and felt so much more authentic than staying in some chain hotel. Plus, then there wouldn't have been Matthew and Melanie! They were fantastic hosts from the moment we got there to the day we left. They were gracious enough to let us borrow the bikes on more than one occasion. (I would highly recommend taking advantage of this perk as my husband and I got to see many off the beaten path gems of New Orleans that we would not have without the bikes). We enjoyed sharing our previous day's adventures with them at breakfast and then getting new suggestions for that day. All in all a fantastic trip, large in part due to our stay at La Belle Esplanade! We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

I like to say when people check in, "If you tell someone from here that you are staying on Esplanade Avenue, they're going to say, 'Oh, I love that street.'" We are happy you found us because we love our neighborhood, too. This is how the rest of the city lives outside the French Quarter and away from the Convention Center. It's very nice, as you've discovered. Come back anytime. Come back when it's warmer outside. You are always welcome here. Cheers and happy birthday, again, and many, many more! You have two friends in New Orleans. -M&M

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at La Belle Esplanade for a weekend in mid-January (2014) and thoroughly enjoyed our stay with Matthew and Melanie. As wonderful as the house and the breakfast are, it's their friendly personalities that sets this B&B apart. Both are very personable and helpful, asking about your interests and suggesting new places to explore, whether its restaurants, jazz clubs, neighborhoods, City Park. You learn what's new, or as is the case with much of this colonial city, what's being renovated, remodeled, and rejuvenated. Matthew told us about Circle Foods, a recently reopened grocery store in the 7th Ward, where we bought a king cake and some pralines to take home. Though we have been to New Orleans dozens of times, they directed us to neighborhoods and restaurants we've never been to before. You'll learn alot about the history of the house, the neighborhood, and the city. We're anxious to go back and stay with them again. It will be like visiting friends.

Room Tip: If you are used to a larger bed, choose Suite 1, Les Fleurs, for a queen size bed. All the other sui...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

We're so glad you found us. I went to Circle Foods recently, myself. They're still not done with the restoration, but they're really doing a nice job on this neighborhood icon. When you come again, we're putting a queen bed in the Clio Suite tomorrow as well as some new furniture. We've also changed some of the furnishings in Les Fleurs. The inn is a work in progress, like the city itself. Cheers! M&M

Reviewed January 26, 2014

This B&B is our new favorite spot to stay in New Orleans. Upon arrival, we were greeted by both Matthew and Melanie. They took the time to give us some tips on where to go, what to look for, and everything in between. My fiancé and I like to go on runs so we asked Matthew what route would be best for a good little sight-seeing trip. He set us up with some great scenery for a little jog around New Orleans.

They were both very knowledgeable about the area. We could've easily canceled our reservations to the "tourist" restaurants and could have just gone off their recommendations. We treated their B&B like it was our own house, and we were treated like royalty. We had breakfast with Matthew and Melanie for both mornings. The food and the conversations were both wonderful.

I highly recommend this B&B to anybody who can appreciate a very well kept place that isn't like the typical hotel scene.

Baker

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew K, General Manager at La Belle Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

I told you I'm working on a restaurant guide for places within walking distance. I'm up to over 30. Not bad for an out-of-the-way neighborhood. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and all the sights. You are welcome back anytime. A votre sante, M&M.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

My fiance and I traveled to New Orleans back in late November/early December for a quick weekend getaway. Everything about our stay at La Belle Esplanade was fantastic: the room, the breakfasts, the neighborhood, and especially the hosts. We look forward to coming back for a longer visit!

Room Tip: The Saints Suite is huge and includes a small iron-railed balcony overlooking Esplanade!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

It's like your own world up on the balcony. That's where I like to sit when the inn is empty. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for writing!