New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District

Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District
Ranked #65 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Leeds, United Kingdom
“New but still working out the kinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Room 603, arriving Saturday 20th April 2013 - on arrival, the size of the room, bathroom and bed (collectively, all massive) was soured by the fact that the bed had been made up with dirty covers. I'm not talking a smudge on the edge, but a whacking in-your-face series of marks on the main body, completely obvious on cursory glance. This suggests slipshod servicing which is not a good way to start.

Fortunately - it got better. Front desk sorted the cover without quibble and, indeed, front desk and the staff throughout were happy, helpful and everything you would hope for but rarely find at a hotel. It was my birthday on the Sunday 21st and the staff arranged for some balloons and 2 free drink vouchers to be put into the room, all without actually asking me to prove it was my birthday which was very trusting of them (and - if they are reading this - it was indeed my birthday on 21st April so thanks for making the effort).

The room and bathroom is massive, although our bathroom was shower only. This was a little odd given that the space could easily accommodate bath and separate shower - I don't really mind, but I do know that some people do prefer that choice. There was a persistent fault throughout our stay with the water which was on/off night and day several times, if only for half an hour or so each time (and 4 hours overnight). In addition, the hot supply was very hot and the cold supply was hot too - not warm or tepid but actually running hot, no matter how long you left it. Somewhere, during the conversion process, some dozy plumber has clearly crossed the hot and cold feeds and they are still trying to sort this out - one of the kinks mentioned in the title.

Another kink involves the coffee machine. It is plugged in next to the TV and needs its little in-built reservoir to be filled in order to work which it then passes over a single-use coffee bag. However, there is no way to fill it without making a huge mess - the reservoir mouth is tiny and if you use a coffee mug to transport the water from the bathroom then most of it will splash happily down the side of the machine as you try and pour it in. You cannot unplug the coffee machine to take it to the tap and so a jug is urgently required to overcome this!

A third kink again involves the coffee machine. This is also provided with teabags and the idea is that you run the water through the coffee machine to heat it up and then dunk a tea bag in it. This does not work - coffee needs hot water (which this machine provides) and tea needs BOILING WATER, which this machine does not provide. Sorry to shout but this is not an option for making tea, its a requirement for making tea. If you are going to provide tea, you HAVE to provide a kettle. Oh, and milk, coffee mate doesn't work in tea at all. Oh, and finally, Earl Grey is perfumed poison - its what people who don't drink tea buy because they know no better.

The hotel is in a great location next to the streetcar, 10 minutes out of the main centre in the garden district. Hotels in the main part of town can be small and, depending on location, noisy as well (especially Bourbon Street). People who book the Royal Sonnesta will be in for a real shock! The streetcar offers a day pass for $3 a day and, although it is a hard ride, is clean and frequent throughout the day and night. The garden district generally is quieter, greener and just airier overall. The Blue Plate Cafe - a must for breakfast (far far better and cheaper than the Indigo equivalent) - is 15 minutes walk away and one of the graveyards for which New Orleans is so famous is 10 minutes away, in the other direction from the Cafe.

Positives - a good quiet location, easy access to transport (including hotel pickup for any tours), all still shiny new in the rooms, free internet access (and in-room wi-fi).
Negatives - kinks to work out. They'll fix the water eventually, hopefully the tea facilities too!

Room Tip: All rooms are newly fitted
3 Thank anotherworld74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Port Lavaca, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

The big easy can be a bit sleazy but now when you spend it in this hotel! Big spacious room with an equally big bath area, a nice quiet oasis in a noisy town. The Garden District is a bit removed from some great dining locations but don't let that stop you. The concierge made excellent dining recommendations that were a nod to the local fare but not where the tourists would be. Just nice all the way around.

Room Tip: My room was on the fifth floor and the A/C unit was noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HighMaint01
Catie M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for the review! "Nice quiet oasis"- what a great compliment. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff's recommendations for local fare and that you loved our spacious rooms and bathrooms. We hope to see you in the future!
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

What a great hotel! We absolutely loved our stay at the Indigo in the amazing Garden District. Don't stay in the French Quarter it is sooo... noisy! The garden district is just so beautiful and so easy to get to absolutely anything that you want.
The trolley which is only $3 per day stops right outside the hotel and will take you anywhere you need to go and want to see.
There is a little market right beside the hotel to purchase snacks, pop, etc even though it is available in the hotel. The snack and go at the hotel is really great with fresh fruit, cookies, sandwiches and all.
The best thing about this hotel is truly the staff!!!!! We cannot say enough marvelous things about the staff. It was like coming home every day after touring, shopping, etc.
The front desk staff Jeremy and Nicolette are the best. So friendly, helpful and welcoming. Jeremy helped me package up a purchase of mine to carry on my plane ride home.
The offered tips on where to eat, what to see and how to get around. They called us cabs when needed and were so happy to see us return each night.
The restaurant and bar staff were the best. Chris was so great in the morning at breakfast, remembering what we ordered and how we liked things. Erika was over the top helpful. No need for a concierge at Hotel Indigo...they have Erika! She booked us restaurant reservations and told us where to eat and not to eat. She even went above and beyond and had balloons put in our room for my husband's birthday.
The fitness room was really awesome with up to date new equipment.
We would recommend to anyone to stay in this hotel.
It does not have a pool so if you are looking for that for children that would be a minus point for you. They did have fish in portable bowls that guests can take to their room during their stay to make your room feel more like home. That was really great and fun!

1 Thank Elaine O
What a wonderful review! Thank you so much. This was the first review to mention our newest additions to the Indigo family- Rex and Zulu, our fish! We're especially glad about the kind words that you had to say about our friendly staff. We'll be sure to let Erika, Chris, Jeremy and Nicolette know that they were given a special shout-out on Trip Advisor. Again, thank you!
Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Loved the location (on the trolley line) and the folks working there were very helpful and nice. The room was very clean as was the bathroom, which was also far more spacious than at most hotels. Decor was very contemporary. Only knock for me was the hallways which I thought just looked a little tired but did not really matter as who spends much time there anyways.

1 Thank Brian T
Thanks for your kind review! We're glad you enjoyed our amazing location, clean spacious rooms and bathrooms, and stylish decor. We hope to see you in the future!
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I were in New Orleans for our sons wedding. We needed to find a nice, pet friendly hotel near the wedding since we have three small dogs and need to check on them frequently. We found this hotel on tripadvisor.com and are so glad we did. The wedding was right across the street from the hotel at House of Broel. The trolley stops right across from the hotel and in 10 -15 minutes you can be on Bourbon Street! We purchased day passes (unlimited) for $3.00 each, each day, and could ride the trolley wherever it went. Got to park the car and it didn't leave the lot at all during our visit. Many great restaurants and shops just up and down the street. Had a couple of drinks in the bar, service was outstanding. The hotel room was spotless, the room was very spacious and very nicely decorated. The front desk staff was warm and friendly always greeting us upon our return. The hotel is in the Garden District so there is ample places to walk your pets. For me - that is a HUGE plus! Hotel and location really worked for us! Thank you Hotel Indigo!

1 Thank Kaykeey
Catie M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thanks for your thorough review! Day passes on the streetcar are a great way to enjoy the city from our hotel- we're happy to hear that you took advantage of them! And thanks for mentioning our amazing neighborhood and the beautiful condition of our hotel! We hope to see you (and your pets!) in the future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

What a find! This new hotel is very charming and cozy and located right at the beautiful Garden District. It is convenient to the famous St. Charles Streetcar so you can get anywhere from here. The staff is courteous and professional. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank simmerspaul
Thank you for your review! We do love being on the streetcar line- not only is it convenient but it's a gorgeous ride! We're glad you found us and hope to host you in the future.
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

From the moment I arrived, this hotel made my visit memorable.

I've visited New Orleans several times and stayed in various areas all over the city, including in the Quarter several times. For this visit, I was originally going to stay at a favorite hotel in the Warehouse District but it was partially booked over my scheduled stay. I didn't necessarily want to stay in the Garden District, even though I love it, mostly because with French Quarter Fest and several other things planned, I had wanted to be closer to the action. But I took a chance on this hotel, based on several good reviews, and boy am I ever glad I did!

The location is prime, really. It's right on St. Charles, closer to Lee Circle than Audubon Park, and the streetcar stops directly outside the front door. So you are quite literally minutes from everywhere. It's about an 18 minute ride to Canal Street, which is right on the edge of the French Quarter, and it's always a pleasant ride. If it's later than you thought and you need a cab, the front desk will call one for you as hailing one from out there isn't really feasible. But catching a cab from the Quarter out to the hotel is easy and inexpensive.

When I checked in, I was about five hours early, since my flight was at the crack of dawn, and at first the sweet girl at the front desk wasn't sure she could get me in. I was resigned to leave my luggage and go on a walkabout to the Quarter and come back later in the evening when my room was ready. But not only did she manage to find me a room, she managed to find me a BETTER room than the one I reserved, and did so at the same rate, only because I'm a points member and it's my birthday! It was a lovely surprise and a great relief to come to my room, which was absolutely beautiful.

So the room itself has wood floors, large sofa/seating area, huge king-sized bed, and wall-to-wall windows. The big screen TV was expected but still always nice. Bathroom is, in a word, huge. Gargantuan sink space and a great walk-in shower. Now, I've read people complaining about the shower and/or lack of tub, but I'm not a bath person at all and I love love LOVE the shower here. Great craftsmanship and a fabulous stone floor. In the rest of the room I really liked having the wood floors because I personally don't like carpet at all. The bed is a dream -- super comfortable, not too soft, not over pillowed, a great sleep every night.

I managed to get a room on the side of the hotel at the back -- I'd recommend this side of the hotel for anyone who wants peace and quiet. I didn't hear a single peep out of ANYONE on my floor or anywhere else the entire time. And I was there over French Quarter Fest! I think the fact that it's outside of the Quarter deters hard-core Quarter partiers from staying and therefore reduces the loudness factor. But I could be wrong on this.

The food in the restaurant far surpassed that of other hotels I've stayed in and was so good I chose to eat there two nights in a row after having less-than-stellar meals at some old-school Quarter restaurants. If I'd been with a group, I probably would not have done this, and would have ventured out to Uptown or the Garden District for some good eats. But as I was by myself and it was after dark and I hadn't made reservations, it was really nice to be able to come back to the hotel and know that I could have a decent meal in a pinch. (Try the muffaletta salad. You won't be sorry.)

The service, in general, was fantastic. Staff was always friendly and attentive. They're relatively young and I've read that some people found them inexperienced, but I didn't really note that. Everyone tried to do their best to accommodate my requests and needs and I saw no evidence of laxness or immaturity. It is a young property and is still finding its feet, but it's a part of the InterContinental Hotel Group, so even though it's young by hotel standards, it's still a professionally run and maintained hotel.

The lobby, bar, restaurant, grounds and building in general are great. Very stylish and modern without being cold. And fantastic jazz playing 24/7 on the sound system.

I did not visit the gym or other facilities so I can't attest to their quality.

All in all, a lovely experience with friendly and helpful staff. I will return again and again and in fact am already planning on scheduling a visit with my mom in July.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back facing the side, not the front. The building is shaped like a backwards L...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ehdailey
Catie M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo New Orleans Garden District, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us during French Quarter Fest. Thanks for mentioning a number of great features about the hotel- the location, the service, and the beautiful accomodations. We hope to see you again!