“best nightclub/restaurant experience in NOLA”

Kermit's Treme Speakeasy
Ranked #94 of 239 Nightlife in New Orleans
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We walked over to Kermit's Speakeasy from our hotel, Inn on St. Peter, in the French Quarter in about 10 minutes. It's just beside Louis Armstrong Park (a lovely place), and we felt perfectly safe. We had a 2 year old baby with us, which was no problem for anyone there. They made us feel welcome and found us seats at the backroom table. The food, gumbo and fried catfish, was very good and probably the best down home food we found in NOLA. I only wish I'd come back for the hot tamales which looked fabulous. Kermit was great, as were the guest singers, one of whom we later saw at the French Quarter Festival. We had a fantastic time, and were so glad we went. Kermit finished on Down in the Treme which had everyone dancing at the end, and we loved the stamp on our wrists that said "Soul". Incidentally, we later saw that one of the official posters of the 2013 French Quarter Festival features Kermit Ruffins front and centre. Go, you'll have a great time.

4  Thank richmondjarvis

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Do not worry about the neighborhood. Take a cab to and from. We saw Kermit on a Sunday night and he did not disappoint. Good mixture of locals and tourists, all there to sing, dance and have a good time. Kermit was most gracious taking time after the performance to talk with my daughter about music.

1  Thank Larry M
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Kermit's is one of the best things you can experience in New Orleans. Great food, quality music, comfortable venue and friendly people. If you come to New Orleans don't miss it. It is less than a half mile outside of the French Quarter and a quick walk or cheap cab ride. It is like going to your corner bar and realizing that a world-class musician stopped by to perform for a few hours.
We went on a Sunday night and got to see Kermit Ruffins. He plays there Sundays and Mondays around 6:00p. We got there around 5:00p to get a table. He didn't go on until about 7:30p. But it was worth the wait. I'm guessing each of his sets is improvised and casual. It was raining the night we went and most of the first hour were songs related to the weather or rain.
It is a small venue so plan on sharing your table "family style" if you have an open seat. Seems uncomfortable but it really wasn't. The food was a good sampling of traditional New Orleans comfort food. One cool thing on the menu were the tamales. I'm a huge Mexican food fan and these were the best I've ever had. They were so unexpected I took a cab back on Monday to pick up another dozen.

1  Thank PghJared
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I have been wanting to see Kermit Ruffins for some time so we decided to pay a visit to his Speakeasy Sunday night. We were NOT disappointed. From the outside, it looks like a hole-in-the-wall (my kind of place) but is very nice on the inside. We decided to eat before the show and were not disappointed there either. Fantastic home cookin' and very reasonable prices! The smothered rabbit (yes, rabbit) was incredible! The crowd was great (except for the few rude people who thought it was ok to show up late and stand in front of those tables who got there early enough to get a good seat). We met several people from out of town. Kermit and his band played for about two hours. He had an amazing piano player in his band. Afterwards, he was more than happy to hang around and take pictures with anybody who asked. Very down to earth! This is definitely the way to see Kermit! When you visit New Orleans, make it a point to visit here. Kermit generally plays every Sunday and Monday evenings about 6:00 pm. The $10 cover is a bargain.

1  Thank TigrGrad86
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I had been advised to see Kermit Ruffins play while in New Orleans, but didn't realize that he had his own club. We arrived around 7:30 on Monday night, and even though the place was packed, we found some seats before too long. What a show! The $10 cover was a steal. Kermit and his band were on fire, and they welcomed three guest singers up to do 1 or 2 songs a piece throughout the evening, including James Winfield, aka the Sleeping Giant. Whether because it was Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, or because it was President Obama's second inauguration, or because people were just in a festive mood, it was a magical night. I ordered chicken wings, which were delicious, and came with a ton of fries. The service was great, too. Do yourself a favor, and go check this place out.

1  Thank shiner73