“The best time I had in New Orleans!”

Kermit's Treme Speakeasy
Ranked #77 of 241 Nightlife in New Orleans
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've always wanted to see Kermit Ruffins play live and he did not disappoint. This was the best way I could imagine seeing my favorite Jazz musician because he was hanging out and just being Kermit. We went on a Sunday night and got there a bit late just before 7:00 but lucky one of the band members was late so the show had not started. We had to stand at the bar and didnt have the chance to order dinner so we drank. It truly is a speakeasy because you will feel safe and at ease. The staff was so warm and friendly. The locals were friendly too and there is a guard at the door who knows the neighborhood well, meaning he knows who is up to no good. I thought just Kermit and his band the BBQ swingers would play but it was more like a concert. Musician and singers walked in and sang from a blues singer, gospel singer and a rapper. Kermit may very well be the Louis Armstrong of our time. He makes everyone smile and tap their feet. At the beginning of his set he told good jokes. Throughout his performance he sang, played his trumpet and winked at the crowd. By the end of the show everyone was on their feet dancing and singing. I dance in my place the whole time and then went up to dance by the stage after some encouragement from some of the local women. It was a cathartic experience almost like going to church or running a marathon. I quick cab ride will get you there or a brisk walk if it is still daylight outside and you are in a group. If you go to New Orleans and do not see Kermit Ruffins live then you have made a mistake and this is the perfect way to see him, in a place that he build and in his element surrounded by musicians he loves and supports. Please support local jazz musicians. He usually plays there on sundays and mondays at 6:30 - till for $15 but get there early or call and reserve a table if you want to have dinner.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This place was recommended to us at about 4:30 PM on a Monday by some lady's my wife & I were seated next to at a bar during happy hour. They said Kermit only plays there on Sunday & Monday evenings. Because we had no dinner plans yet we said "why not" check it out. This is by far the most entertaining evening we've had in our 4 trips to New Orleans. The food was excellent which I'm told Kermit has a hand in preparing himself. Wife had trout which came as "the whole fish head on & all" and could have fed us both, I had the meatloaf with red beans & rice. Real down home soul food. On to the entertainment which I can only describe as world class. Kermit is sooooooo personable and genuine with his interaction with the crowd and man can he play the horn! Keyboard player was awesome, one of best we've ever seen, as well as the drummer & bassman. To top it off there were random musicians walking in to play a song with the group. It's my understanding that Kermit knew some others he didn't. Funny moment was when a sax player walked in, pulled out his sax and started playing off to the side. Seems like he didn't know the "protocol" as Kermit walked over to him and whispered something and he proceeded to put his sax down and looked like a child just scolded. I'd guess the "protocol" is wait until you're invited up which he eventually was and the dude actually could wail. As each guest would finish playing with the group Kermit would say: "only in New Orleans, only in New Orleans". I couldn't say it any better, what a treat this evening truly was.

1  Thank jackbaur
Reviewed September 4, 2012

One of my favorite places in all of New Orleans. The red beans and rice are delicious! Kermit is so friendly! Love dancing to his music! I have visited on both a Sunday and a Monday. LOts of tourists mixed with locals. You never know who is going to show up to play with Kermit! His daughters work there and even grace the crowd by singing with Kermit on occasion! Get there early and plan on staying until the show ends around 9pm- 9:30pm. You will not want to leave!!!

1  Thank StephaniB69
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I visited on a Monday evening. We arrived right around 6 p.m. and got one of the few remaining tables. The place is small, and probably has about 12 tables, with a few seats at the bar. It filled up by show time, but it was never uncomfortable.

When we got there, Kermit was hanging out at the bar talking to patrons. He took the stage late, probably around 6:30. He performed about an hour and a half. Kermit was having so much fun, and interacting with everyone in the small crowd. His band was amazing. It was a terrific show!

The menu is small, but all great homestyle NOLA cooking. Drink prices were reasonable.

We took a cab, but even with the address our driver had trouble finding the place. At the end of the night, it's probably best to take a cab back to the Quarter instead of walking. But take a cab phone number with you, or ask the bartender to call for one, because there were not many cabs driving along Basin street at that time on a week night.

1  Thank Daniel O