“Excellent food, but VERY loud” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chiba

Chiba
Reserve with OpenTable
Chiba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #655 of 1,920 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Cross street: Dante St.
Transit: Street car at Carrollton
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Excellent food, but VERY loud”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

One of the owners got his sushi skills in New York City. Very fresh and inventive food. The only downside, it's very loud on a busy evening. We'll go back, but maybe on a weeknight.

Visited July 2013

Middletown, New Jersey
“Great people, great story, great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We only at the sushi and had drinks but that's only because the sushi was so good we kept ordering more rolls. hope to go back and have an entrée

• Visited June 2013
Mancos, Colorado
“Great Fnd!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Had dinner with friends while touring New Orleans. A wonderful escape from New Orleans traditional fried foods. Wait staff was excellent and provided us with a list of things to see & do while in N.O.. Food was delicious! Owner stopped by our table to introduce himself and chat. I had the Satsuma Strawberry Roll (scrumptious) and friends enjoyed the delicious Oak Street Bouillabiase. Overall, friendly with yummy food.

• Visited April 2013
Houston, Texas
“Best sushi in the area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Ate at Chiba for a late lunch today, sat at the bar and had a fabulous conversation with the owner. He made excellent recommendations on food choices! We started with the crawfish potstickers, which were just lightly pan fried and came with a tasty green onion & sesame soy sauce. Great! The nigiri & sashimi options are plentiful, and the ones we chose were delicious & extremely fresh. The owner told us that Wednesday is 1/2 price sake night, so we'll definitely be back again next week!
If you like Japanese food, and sushi in particular, and if you live in the New Orleans area, you must try this place. Highly recommended compared with other sushi joints in town!

• Visited January 2013
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Not a friend of the owner or the employees”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I think it is rather to rude to assume that someone gave a restaurant a 5 star rating because they are friends of the owners. My husband and I have only lived in New Orleans for a year and he recently started working in the uptown area, so we've been looking for a rental there... and you have to eat. So on the day after Christmas, we were bored and feeling housebound, so we got on the streetcar and headed to Oak Street to go to the comic store. We had no food in the house and hadn't really had much to eat that day, so we planned to have dinner while we were on that side of the city. We had noticed Chiba on a previous walk down Oak Street and wanted to try it, so we stopped in.

The decor is very modern. A lovely bar with booths to separate the area from the rest of the restaurant is on the left when you walk in. there is also the dining area right in front and the sushi bar on the back wall. The host at the door greeted us and seemed truly happy to be at work. We asked to be seated at the sushi bar. The chairs are very rustic and look like wooden versions of folding chairs. The seats are generous and my only real complaint about the entire decor is that these chairs are not comfortable at all if you sit back in them. If you sit forward without resting against the chair back, you're fine, but they have no lower lumbar support and the back is too high. This is a design flaw and by no means the fault of the restaurant beyond not really trying the chairs out before purchasing them.

At the sushi bar, we were served ice water and a complimentary amuse bouche of the octopus ceviche. This was delicious and the next time I go, and there will be a next time, I will order this. We were also informed that being Wednesday, it was Funk & Roll Happy Hour from 4 p.m. to midnight, and we received the happy hour menu. My husband ordered a Spicy Tuna Roll and some warm sake. I ordered a Let the Good Times Roll. The rolls were perfectly executed, small bites as the Japanese intended, and beautiful to look at. They were also delicious. We talked to the sushi chef and discovered that he was actually trained by traditional Japanese sushi chefs. We also noticed that the gari (pickled ginger) was of a very good quality and asked if it was made in house. It isn't, but it is better than the pink stuff most places serve.

I followed up my roll with the mushroom gyoza, which are made in house, come with their own dipping sauce, and taste amazing. Sean got escolar sushi, which were large and fresh. I then ordered the Crescent City Roll, which is essentially a fried oyster poboy in sushi roll form. In fact, this was the recipe they used for their poboy entry at the poboy festival the first year they were open. I've been told that there is a famous grocery store in the French Quarter that serves the best oyster poboy in the city and I've had one... I beg to differ. This is the best oyster poboy in the city. I also noticed that I forgot to order both of my rolls with soy paper rather than nori (seaweed paper). I usually find the seaweed overpowering, but the brand they use was very mild. My husband order both the pork belly and short rib steamed bun and we split them. They are appetizer sized and split in half. I recommend both of them.

Our waitresses were both attentive and quick to return with exactly what we ordered. The sushi chef (who I believe may actually be the owner) was fun to talk to and very knowledgeable. Yes, the menu is limited, but I think I prefer the limited, smaller rolls that are perfectly executed than the over-sized rolls of every variety you can think of that are too big to eat in one bite (which was the original intention) and fall apart as you are eating them because they aren't tight enough. This is our new favorite sushi place... and even better, with everything we ordered, we spent barely $100 including the gratuity of $20. That's an excellent value.

• Visited December 2012