“A bacchanal blast of booze and bites!”
Review of SoBou

SoBou
Reserve with OpenTable
SoBou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, International, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Bienville
Reviewed October 26, 2012

SoBou is inspired by the spirit of the Old Absinthe House, which they founded back in 1943. A “drinks-focused restaurant,” SoBou offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and the regionally sourced menu, invented by Executive Chef Juan Carlos Gonzalez, features inspired finger food to nibble with some of the most awesome drinks in the city—from snazzy cocktails to local brews. Gonzalez intermingles Louisiana street fare along with a Creolized version of his own Puerto Rican home food and the mix is nothing short of sensational. He also sources from artisanal producers and longtime area farmers, which means you might find a salad of baby arugula, sweet and spicy beer nuts, Tabasco mango ribbons, gorgonzola dolce, shaved watermelon radishes and brined pickle vinaigrette, or a sticky, molasses lacquered pork belly with dirty rice calas, grilled green onion and ham hock stewed Louisiana red bean purée. Carnivores will also love the andouille-and-tasso meatballs, and the duck “debris” and butternut beignets napped with foie gras fondue and chicory-coffee ganache is out of this world!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

What's not to love about duck foie gras beignets and yellowfin pineapple ceviche? And the cherries jubilee bread pudding was amazing. I was with a group of four so we sampled several small plates including those above and mac/cheese, oyster taco, and wild shrimp. Also, got to sample the chef's own delicious ghost pepper/vinegar hot sauce. The cocktails were inventive and refreshing. And, the service was right on - paced perfectly - with our waitress Sharon who brought a little bit of Jersey (the good part) to our New Orleans experience. As an added bonus, the prices were surprisingly affordable.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just had a business lunch at Sobou and came away extremely impressed. The menu has a wide variety of tastes and the staff creates a welcoming environment. Our server, Sharon, understood the menu and recommended just the right mix of plates to provide the table with a variety of tastes. Excelent food - good value.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Actually visited this place 3 times in four days. Excellent small plate bar food, great knowledgeable talent at the bar - friendly place that pours exceptional cocktails.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I’m not sure what I loved the most about Sobou: the décor, the food, the staff, or the drinks. It was all so fantastic! Cocktails are one of their specialties, so the walls are lined with backlit glass bottles and jars (which reminded me of an apothecary shop), and you can view display cases of artifacts on loan from the Museum of the American Cocktail.

I ordered the duck beignets and had to take a moment of silence, they were so delicious. I also had the crunchy pork rinds with this yummy, spicy, melted cheese dipping sauce. For dessert I had the cherries jubilee bread pudding; you have to order it in advance because it takes 20 minutes to prepare, and I can see why. It was scrumptious!! I never use that word, but I’m using it now; that dessert was scrumptious. I’m so, so, so happy I listened to the advice of our waitress, Karen, about those duck beignets! I had been a bit apprehensive about a savory beignet, but she assured me they were fabulous and she was right! She also gave me great cocktail recommendations AND was incredibly friendly. I appreciate great service, and Sobou had it in spades!

We went late on a Tuesday night, so the place wasn’t really crowded. The chef came out to visit a couple of tables and chatted with us about the current menu and possible items that might be making a future appearance. Crystal hot sauce cotton candy, say whaaaaat????? I’m totally in. Then Trey, the maître d, gave us a tour! A tour! And it was fantastic! He was really knowledgeable about the different design elements that went into the décor. For instance, the frescoes on the insides of several big light fixtures are the hypnotic eyes of Marie Laveau, an infamous voodoo queen from New Orleans. He also told us to call in advance if we want one of the tables with a built-in beer tap, especially if it’s on a game day. Of course the tour made me fall even more in love with the place, now that I know more about its history and design.

I highly recommend you visit Sobou. I’m definitely taking more of my friends, possibly for Friday lunch since they serve 25 cent cocktails. Just writing this review makes me wish I was there now!