“Amazing value!!! Relaxing AND fun!”

French Quarter Suites Hotel
Ranked #99 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Windsor, Ontario
“Amazing value!!! Relaxing AND fun!”
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I just returned from a full week's stay at the French Quarter Suites. I traveled with five other people and we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. It was an amazing value considering we booked via telephone and got the room for $90 a night (during the week) and $109 a night (during the weekend). Two people slepted on the sleeper sofa and it worked out pretty well.

We were in New Orleans to have a good time, essentially; the French Quarter Suites helped make this happen.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We used the bigger pool all week and they offered to bring us a cooler to use for our booze so we wouldn't have to keep going upstairs. The room was very clean and the staff did a great job of cleaning around all of our belongings and offered us extra towels every day. Every staff member would say smile and say hello at every passing and they offered very valuable advice when it came to what tour companies to use, or what bars to frequent.

The hotel itself is unique. We really liked the exposed brick walls and the hardwood floors of the main hotel (where we at the continental breakfast everyday). I hate staying at Ramadas and other cookie cutter hotels, so I was really happy that the hotel offered a little something different.

On a side note: people who complain about the safety of the neighbourhood are being wimpy. If you live in any American city, you are prepared for the location of this hotel. Rampart Street is not a street I would walk to to get to Canal (because of how it looks, not because I would feel unsafe). The location is a bit of a walk to bourbon street (10 minutes to the action), but it is close to Frenchmen Street (the place to go if you really like jazz and a more local vibe). I think that part of exploring the French Quarter is walking its many streets, so I enjoyed the location of the hotel.

I recommend this hotel completely!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank 131wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
Virginia
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We were with a large group. We stayed in the Annex portion of the hotel and felt like we were staying in an old French Quarter house. The kids loved having two pools and the adults loved having access to the hotel. The rooms were great, comfortable, and very clean. The location was perfect, we were able to walk to all of our favorite New Orleans restaurants in the Quarter. I recommend this hotel and will be a returning guest. It is a GREAT place to stay and can't beat the rates. Thank you French Quarter Suites for a great weekend stay with lots of old friends. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank dac626
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I've stayed @ FQS for every Jazz Fest since 2005.
I wouldn't go anywhere else. They acquired the adjacent hotel earlier this year which was a great bonus. The courtyard and pool are much nicer.
There are different sections of the hotel and they are very different. If booking you might want to ask about what the different rooms are like.
During JF we stay in the suites section (to cram as many people as possible).
Yeah, some of the carpets in the suites section have seen better days. The owner told us he was going to replace them with tile at some point.
The location is 5-star for us because it's across the street from the main part of the French Quarter (away from the noise) and has a taxi stand nearby (plus the major bus lines stop in front).
The main reason we stay is because of the service. I find that in NOLA, the service is one extreme or the other. Either they can't do enough for you, or F U for even asking!
FQS is definitely the former. They really will do anything they can to make your stay better.

If you like to stay at the Hilton, maybe FQS isn't right for you. If you want something with more charm and character, then I'd stay here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
vacationtimeforme
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I recently spent Memorial Day weekend at the French Quarter Suites with three of my best friends. We arrived on Friday and stayed through Tuesday. Our two bedroom suite worked perfect for our group. It was not a Hilton or the Ritz, but was more than we expected for the price. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. It was obvious that many upgrades were either recently made or were in the works. There were two beautiful swimming pools with a real New Orleans Courtyard feel. In fact, one night we decided to just stay around the pool with several other groups of guests. It was probably our most fun night. Bourbon Street was just three blocks away, and again the staff had many suggestions for where to go for dinner, shopping and late night. Not only would I stay there again, but I have booked the same room for a long weekend this fall.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Ohio
Reviewed May 11, 2009

4 friends and myself came in for a vacation, we wanted to have a 2 bedroom so we could have a little time away from each other if needed. From the moment we got to the hotel the staff was very friendly and courteous. They made us all feel special. If we requested anything at all, they came right away. I did not feel the hotel was dirty, however the building is old and is in the process of being remodeled. If you are looking for a quite, historical, New Orleans type hotel this is the place to be, if you are looking for a commercialized high rise I definately would not recommend it. We all had a great time and felt we were treated very well. They have a very nice courtyard and 2 pools, which we used with no problems. If I ever return to this area I would definately stay at the French Quarter Suites again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Hagerstown, Md.
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This suites hotel read like a dream and the pictures looked good. We wanted a two-bedroom suite so that we had room to relax during our stay when we attended the jazz fest. No comfortable stay there. Dirty!!!! Carpet was sticky when bare feet where on it. Had to use shoes or slippers the entire time. Shower was dirty and the water ran down the drain very slowly. Towels and sheets dingy. Bedspread dirty and had holes in it. TV in bedroom didn't work. Mold in corners of the room. Dust laying on the tops of the drapes. Holes in carpet.

This is the worse hotel room that I have ever stayed in. We paid 250 for the night and were to stay 5 nights. We left after one night. We didn't get our $700 dollar deposit back. They never asked why we were leaving. We finally just told them that it was because it was so dirty. They said it was difficult to get cleaning staff. I saw some people checking in and I wondered if all the rooms are like that. If so, they had to have a miserable time. I am not a five star hotel person, but this is beyond horrible. It should be against the law to rent something like this to people. It is criminal to charge someone 50% and then brag when they have to leave because the room is unsanitary and say, well we can sure use the room to rent to others.

I wish I had seen this site before we paid out $700 for this nightmare. Trust me I will use this site in the future when making arrangements. I wouldn't even recommend this hotel to my worse enemy!!! I jusgt wish we would have taken pictures.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelnut47
Maryland
Reviewed April 30, 2009

My friend and I decided that our yearly girl's adventure trip for 2009 would be New Orleans for the Jazz Fest. We booked a two bedroom suite at the French Quarter Suites for 5 nights, online. We were told that we had to pay a 50%, non-refundable deposit when we booked (our credit card was charged in November for an April trip). The web site said "steps from Bourbon Street". We had read some of the reviews that said that folks who had stayed there before had some concerns about the safety of the neighborhood so when we checked in we asked and were told about the best route to take to Bourbon Street for safety sake. Believe me, it was not "steps". It was a good 7 blocks to take the safe route.

We were really disappointed when we made our way to our suite. The carpets were very worn and had large holes in some spots that showed the floor beneath. There were cobwebs and accumulated dirt along the edges of all the carpets and in the corners. There was a quarter inch of dust on the tops of the drapes. The bathroom floor was filthy. When we wiped up a little water that was on the bathroom floor, the towel came up black. The bathtub had mold around it and the sheets and pillowcases were stained and worn. I wouldn't have touched the bedspread with any part of my body. The washcloths are what I use for rags at home. The television in the largest bedroom didn't work. The small bedroom had room for just a bed and a small nightstand. There was a coffee maker but only little thin plastic cups that would not have held hot coffee. The refrigerator didn't work and was dirty inside.

After walking over to Bourbon Street by the "safe" route in the daylight we realized that we would not be comfortable walking back that way at night. We went into the Ramada Inn on Bourbon Street and asked them if they had any rooms available for the weekend (this was Wednesday night). They said they had just one. We asked them to hold it for us until we could speak with the French Quarter Suites to see about cutting our stay with them short. I called the young man at the desk and he said I would have to talk to his manager and she wouldn't be in for about an hour. It ended up being nearly 11 pm before I was able to speak with the manager so we had to spend the first night in this awful hotel. The manager said that we could leave early but we would not receive any of our 50% deposit back. She never asked why we were leaving. She obviously didn't care. They following morning a different young man at the front desk (if you can call it that as it is really like a motel office with a check- in office) listened to our complaints (unsolicited) and said, "I'm sorry your room was dirty but we can certainly use the 2 bedroom suite this weekend." So we paid $700 for one night at this hotel and they were eager to re-rent it.

The Ramada was wonderful. They gave us the regular rate for Thursday and Sunday night and the Jazz Fest rate for Friday and Saturday which we though was really nice of them. The four nights at the Ramada cost us just a little more than the 1 night at the French Quarter Suites and it was clean, comfortable and right on Bourbon Street. We had a courtyard view and no noise from the street.

We were not expecting the French Quarter Suites to be luxury with a concierge and bellman, etc. but we did expect that it would be clean and comfortable. It was neither.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends