“Yucky and really not part of the French Quarter”

French Quarter Suites Hotel
Ranked #99 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Pasadena, California
“Yucky and really not part of the French Quarter”
Reviewed October 15, 2007

We 6 girls stayed here for a bachelorrette party and it is in a bad neighborhood that isn't really a part of the French Quarter but rather a few blocks down. The room itself was pretty disgusting, we had a two story town house with three bedrooms and the girls were scared to sit on the couch. They said the smell was horrible when they got there and there was a door that was locked and when you looked under it you could see another room where a skylight was apparently leaking and the room was now full of mold. So the whole weekend we all got sick and were congested when we got home. I really am not too picky and I am not exaggerating. The city is still recovering but I do think there must be better places than this. If it had just been me and my boyfriend, I would have left for sure! It is just not a nice place and it is out of the way. The Le Richelieu looked pretty nice when we walked by and it was near or was probably in the French Quarter.

• Liked — Someone was incredibly nice because they turned in a purse that one of the girls left outside sans cash but still
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
FQSH, Front Desk Manager at French Quarter Suites Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2007
We are part of the French Quarter. We 3 blks from Bourbon. North Rampart Street is the western border of the French Quarter.
We have several largersuites from 3 to 6 bedrooms. Which are commonly used for groups and reunions. Our suites do not have mold. Our rooms are clean. We have many large groups who are return guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
Boston
Reviewed August 31, 2007

Don't stay in room 213!!!!!! It was haunted, I couldn't even sleep. But we were staying one night so we didn't complain.
There were noises everywhere in our room - sounds of dresser drawers being open and shut, scratching on the floor, sound of someone walking around, something that sounded like digging through something - i thought some big animal was going through my suitcase. Not to mention both my sister and I heard something fall off the end of our beds (I thought it was my notebook that was on my bed and I looked and it was still there), I felt something touching my foot while I was laying in bed, and we also heard someone walking around the room. SO - don't stay there in 213! I had to get drunk in order to sleep in that room (so I'd just pass out and not hear/ feel anything).

• Liked — Eh...
  • Disliked — The freakin ghosts
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
FQSH, Front Desk Manager at French Quarter Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2007
Many people are intrigued and amused by the idea of ghost and hauntings.
Unfortunately, we do not have a room 213. nor have any of our guest had felt haunted. Hopefully, this poster had fun with this story.
Atlanta
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Where white socks and walk around the rooms for about 10 minutes, you will pack your bags ASAP. Caught two roaches and took them down to the desk with my socks and told her this was unacceptable. Instead of giving us a full refund, they charged us for 1 days stay after our 90 minutes stay. Try the Hotel Monaco or places in the warehouse district and leave this slum to others.

Alex

• Liked — free washer and dryer
  • Disliked — dirt and insects, old furniture
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Without more information on an actual reservation, it is impossible to know to what, if any problem this poster had. However, as with most hotels we have monthly pest control. Many of our suites feature hardwood floors,all carpets and area rugs are steam cleaned regularly.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 8, 2007

A good friend of ours was on leave from Iraq and we all decided to go to New Orleans for Halloween. We booked two rooms for 3 couples at the French Quarter Suites Hotel. My girlfriend and I arrived several hours before everyone else and the gentleman working at the hotel offered to watch our luggage, for no additional fee so we could wander around the French Quarter. We had a good time but got tired quickly (late night before, early flight) and went back to the hotel. The person working the desk took our card to "hold" for our room till my buddy got in(he booked the rooms under his card and was paying for everyones rooms, early Christmas present I guess). After we checked in we walked into our room and our jaws dropped. We had a one bedroom suite, which has a full kitchen, a living room. It was awesome for what we wanted. The furnature was all very comfortable, and all the remotes worked (rare at hotels these days). The building felt VERY secure, and the pool was extremely clean, and you didn't get that "over chlorine smell" that you get from some hotel pools. The staff suggested many great places to eat, as well as fun things to check out. Also they arranged for three taxis to be out front to pick us up when we checked out (all our flights were at different times heading to different locations) with no hassles at all.

We had a great trip down there. A few days later we checked our credit card balance and saw that we were charged for the rooms, in one quick phone call they took care of everything for us, as well as apologized several times for the mix up.

We were so happy with this hotel and the service we got while we stayed there that we are booking another trip with them this April for Jazzfest, this time though were going to check out one of their townhouses.

Stayed October 2006
4 Thank putterb
Refugee in D.C.
Reviewed December 13, 2006

Fellow travelers, I am a former native New Orleanian who tries to get back to New Orleans often. I am glad to have found French Quarter Suites Hotel. For me, it is like living in a French Quarter apartment combined with a hotel. I have stayed here several times, and have found all suites to be large, with living room, dining area, kitchen, large bedrooms and full bath. it feels a lot more homey. It is close to everything in the FrenchQuarter, on a main street easily accessed by car, unlike the traffic of the inner French Quarter. It has ample secured parking, which is unusual in this historic part of town. For a small hotel, the staff work exceedingly hard to meet all your needs just like their larger competitors. The pool area is lovely, and the on-site laundry is great if you are planning an extended stay. There is a breakfast room with free breakfast every morning with complimentary newspaper. During the day I can walk or take an inexpensive cab anywhere in the downtown N.O. area, as well as a short walk to French Quarter restaurants, coffee shops, entertainment, bars, stores and historical sites.

• Liked — Great hotel at an exceptional value
  • Disliked — On one stay room wasn't ready on time
  • Tips/Secrets — If possible leave car home. Everything is in walking distance
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank All-OverTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

My experience is much like the one above. My sister had originally reserved a room for her, her boyfriend and his daughter for $79. Supposidly it was a coupon rate but it was posted that price on the web too b/c I looked. Anyhow, me and my daughter decided to go so my sister called back and they told her they could give her a 2 bedroom w/ 2 full size beds for $99. Great! We were excited. When we got there they told us that the people who were staying in our reserved room decided to stay over again and all they had was a 1 bedroom w/ 2 full size beds in the same room or a 2 bedroom with one full size bed and 1 king. Well, we had 3 adults and we didn't want to all sleep in the same room. Besides, we originally had a 2 bedroom reserved for $99. Well, when my sister went to pay the bill, they charged us $20 more a night. What! I was like, why did you pay that??? It was not our fault that they did not have the room available for what we reserved?!? I called back and asked for a manager. The man said he could help me. I told him our whole story and about how I did not agree that we had to pay more for an upgrad b/c they did not have our room available. He preceeded to tell me that we came in at a discount rate and that the room we stayed in was regular $250 (whatever, the website says $129) and all in all basically that he didn't care, he was the owner, we got a good rate, he didn't care what we thought and he would credit us back $40 and hung up on me. My sister was a repeat customer. Not anymore. Don't stay here. They are hateful, greedy, and liars!

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
boweeb, Reservations Manager at French Quarter Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2006
By the guest's own admission, they were refunded their money and EVERY effort was made to satisfy their needs. These guests felt "inconvenienced" and used that as an excuse to launch personal nasty attacks against the owner of the hotel - even after he had refunded their money and made a sincere apology for the misunderstanding. Secondly, the coupon rate of $79.00 was not posted on the web - that rate was on the web for a smaller room. The end result is that in the hotel business sometimes guests stay-over and rooms booked by other guests aren't available. Every effort is made to upgrade or change rooms with minimal discomfort to guests. In this case, money was refunded, the guests received more than they paid for. To respond in their review that we are "greedy" or "liars" is unacceptable - you just have to read other reviews to know the high level of service we offer.
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We wanted to stay within walking distance of Bourbon Street, didn't want to rent a car, etc. We wanted to keep the trip reasonable but fun... didn't want any problems. After we booked I read some reviews on this site and I became weary (because of location, etc) I'm from Chicago so I figured things would be fine and they were. This place is within walking distance of the french quarter, a nice walk... wear good shoes if you don't plan on renting a car. We took the Airport Shuttle to and from the airport.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and the price was great compared to the price to stay in the middle of the french quarter... not to mention all the noise at night around Bourbon Street. I felt safe walking back and forth (even at night) you just have to be careful and use common sense - don't carry a big purse, keep your money, etc. secure. You can always take a cab back to your hotel at night if you feel unsafe walking but I didn't see a problem walking day or night. The St. Louis cemetery and Armstrong Park are nearby (and free)

My opinion is... your hotel is a place to sleep, the rooms were clean - we had no problem. I don't spend my vacations in my hotel room, the majority is spent outside the room so if your looking for something reasonable, this is the place. I rate this place average (compared to other places to stay in NO, it's not the Ritz Carlton so if your expectations are high... look to stay on Bourbon or right in the middle of the French Quarter just remember it's pretty loud at night)

• Stayed April 2005