“Our guide was a bust” 2 of 5 bubbles

and up
New Orleans French Quarter Segway Tour
Ranked #6 of 214 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The Crescent City is best enjoyed as you glide through its streets and along the riverfront. Our world-class tour guides provide heaps of unique and fascinating stories that make this "America’s Most Interesting City!" All tours are limited in size so you can count on a great and a personal experience full of fun and fantastic photo ops! City Segway Tours is the original New Orleans Segway tour company! After being forced to close our doors because of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, we are thrilled to finally be coming home. When you glide with us, you’ll know you are gliding with the original and the best.
Bellingham, WA
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Our guide was a bust”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I chose City over the other Segway operator because of the TA ratings, but I'm not one of the enthusiastic, now.

The main issue was the guide, Brad. Sorry to say something unflattering about the lad, but he had no personality. He was loaded with facts, but a headset would be more fun. There was no way we could engage him. Flat, lifeless. That pretty much took all the life out of the tour. We came, we saw, we heard, we moved on.

Was it Brad, alone, that made it so funky? I thought about it quite a bit and came to the conclusion that there were other things that contributed, too.

The Segway is appealing. As a first-timer, the idea of riding a Segway seems to fit with a tour concept. It's slower than a bus, faster than walking; it should be a nice pace. However, the attention it takes to ride safely is enough that you are not free to put full attention on the sights. Moreover, the group travels in a single file line behind the guide, so there is little or no interaction while moving.

We covered little enough ground in 3 hours that I was disappointed in the depth of the tour. We visited only the neighborhoods contiguous with the French Quarter, where we began. I covered more neighborhoods walking, albeit over a period of days, not hours.

Riding a Segway was fun and easy to learn. It's a bit hard on the legs, too. On a 3-hour tour, you will be standing for all but a brief respite in the middle, at a coffee shop stop. Ask yourself how long you like to stand in one spot. Riding the Segway is a lot like that, though you'll be shifting your weight, mainly forward and back, to propel the vehicle.

Overall, I can't recommend a Segway tour that travels along busy city streets. The format isolates the guide from the tourists, and the tourists from each other. It may be a fun experience to ride a Segway, but for my money, I want a tour that connects me with my surroundings, including the sights, the guide and fellow travelers. This didn't do it.

Visited March 2013
City Segway Tou... N, Manager at City Segway Tours New Orleans, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello BhamPedro,

Thank you for your review. Your feedback helps us refine our tours. I've been attempting to contact you about your experience, but have not yet been able to connect.

You chose to ride based on our TripAdvisor reviews and for good reason; even in the short time we have been open we have become one of the top rated tours in New Orleans. By and large our reviews are raves. Yours was not and I thank you for that. We learn just as much from our bad reviews as we do from our good; maybe more.

I sorry Brad's performance did not meet your expectation. He has seen your review, we have discussed it, and found areas and ways for him to improve.

As for the rest of the review I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you covered as much ground as we did in a 3 hour tour on foot, but it took you days. That is the great thing about the Segway it allows you to cover about the same amount of ground as most bus tours here in the city but the machine can get into places buses can't (just like a pedestrian). !0 - 14 miles are covered on tour and at the end of it you are no where near as exhausted as you would be if you walked it.

I hope you will consider joining us again. I would love to show you how much Brad has improved and why we are the best tour in New Orleans.

Kind Regards,
Brian Moore

Dallas, Tx
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Segway tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Family did the 3 hour segway tour. 12 year old daughter enjoyed this too. Very informative and fun. New Orleans was built up and civilized by women. We hit most of the major sights and time for pictures.

Cranbury, New Jersey
“Awesome Segway Tour!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I just went on a Segway Tour in the French Quarter in New Orleans. This was the first time we ever rode on a segway. It was easier than we thought and so much fun! Jess was our tour guide and she was patient, helpful and amazing. We learned so much about the city's history, its music and its people from her and she even sang to us in Louie Armstrong Park. Brian, the manager, was also so helpful and friendly. He had us up on our Segways in no time. This tour was definitely the best way to see the French Quarter and was one of the highlights of our trip to NOLA!

Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Most fun experience in NOLA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was the most fun way to see NOLA! Tour guide and office staff were kind and patient as we got comfortable on the Segway. The tour took us into neighborhoods we wouldn't have seen on our own and we covered lots of ground in a relatively short period of time. In addition, the ride itself was a blast! We definitely recommend this way to see the city and will plan to do this again!

Dayton, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First time on a Segway - not disappointed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was a little apprehensive about stepping on to a Segway for the first time with my wife, but Grant, our tour guide, was amazing. He had us up and running in no time! Within minutes we were traversing the streets of the French Quarter and learning about the history of the city. We covered so much more ground than we ever could have on foot. My wife and I both really enjoyed the Segway experience and are looking forward to taking Segway tours in other cities as well. I highly recommend this tour, and Grant in particular - you will be glad you tried it!