“Very happy with our choice”
Review of Inn on St Ann

and 1 more site!
Inn on St Ann
Ranked #39 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I'm not a big fan of cookie cutter hotels in a place as unique as New Orleans; so the French Quarter Guest Houses immediately appealed to me. The fact there were recent upgrades also increased my interest as I have experienced some other character properties in the Quarter that were not well maintained or that didn't live up to their potential.

I spoke with a few different employees on a few different occasions - prior to making my reservation (to inquire on the different rooms since no two are alike), after making my reservation to inquire about parking, and prior to arrival (they call to confirm) and everyone was very accomodating and pleasant. The Inn on St Ann had the room size we needed and the rate we got was great. My group stayed in the Christophe Suite in the Marie Laveau annex. Yes, the walkway to the courtyard is narrow, the steps up to room are quite steep, and some outside noise does filter in, but I didn't feel this was anything unexpected for a property of this type. There was plenty of historic charm with hardwood floors, high ceilings, and exposed brick, and everything was neat and clean.

The living area of our suite was large as was the main bedroom. I found the twin bed in the sleeping alcove to be very comfortable. The bath linens were good quality. The shower was a little small in this suite, but the water pressure was good and we never ran out of hot water.
Our room had a coffee maker and housekeeping left ample coffee and creamer, sugar, etc. each day. Our room also had a full length mirror. There were also plenty of outlets for charging our phones, cameras, etc. The pictures on the website were very representative of our actual room.

I have been to New Orleans several times, so I knew what to expect as far as location of the hotel was concerned, and didn't find anything about the locaiton to be inconvenient. I did some easy research beforehand new the situation with the hotel parking so I wasn't surprised or annoyed when I arrived. There is no real loading/unloading zone at the hotel and there wasn't anyone at our hotel to assist with luggage. So if driving in and unloading before you park (and if arriving before check-in) there will be some maneuvering involved.

The only cons I can really think of is that there could have been a little more storage in the alcove sleeping room, and there were only 4 hangers in the main room wardrobe (for a suite that will sleep up to five). A just a pet peeve of mine (and I notice this in almost every hotel I stay in) is that more hanging hooks are needed. There was one hook in the bathroom on the back of the door. The only other hanging space was in the wardrobe in the main bedroom. A few hooks in the living room are would have been handy for hanging jackets, etc. And a few hooks would have been convenient in the sleeping alcove especially since there was only 1 small table in there (no drawers, etc.).

I will definitely be checking rates and availability at the French Quarter Guest House properties for my next trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank abtv999

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The remote control needed a new battery. I went to the front desk. No one was there for 2 hours; two nights in a row. I called the phone number for the hotel. No answer. Staff needs to staff a hotel for safety's sake.

The room is non-smoking, but it's next to the balcony and above the court yard where smoking occurs and the smoke blows into the room, even with doors all closed. Tons of second hand smoke every night.

Bathtub stopper is broken and other fixtures in bathtub not fully functional as well.

Room small, but that was expected.

Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't take room 73.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on St Ann, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

We are extremely disappointed to hear your stay with us was not up to your standards, or ours. We appreciate your candid feedback to give us the opportunity to address the issues that came up.

We would love the opportunity to make it up to you with a future stay at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties. We are 100% confident your stay would be nothing less than you hoped for.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in the French Quarter for a week and I am so happy that we chose this hotel to stay at. The prices were so reasonble and we were in walking distance to everything (important as we didn't have a car). The hotel was very clean and our room was very nice. We received an email the night before our trip to confirm our reservations etc and when I emailed back with a question about our room I received a very prompt response. The hotel staff were wonderful and helpful but I did not hear them nor did they ever intrude on our visit. Our room was a king and I found it very comfortable for myself and my husband. The bathroom was small and I would have liked to have a tub but other than that I have absolutly no complaints. If and when we travel back to New Orleans we will try to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased you loved your stay at the Inn on St Ann! We realize there are many hotel options out there to choose from in New Orleans and are thrilled that we made it to the top of your list.

We appreciate your mention of your nice and clean guestroom, as that is one of our top priorities of all of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties. You also noted our wonderful hotel staff and pre-arrival concierge services, which were able to confirm any last minute questions you had.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to having you back upon your next visit to New Orleans!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just returned from our first trip to New Orleans. We booked late and literally nothing was available (turned out to be spring break). Was able to get the last room at Inn on St Ann, which was only a double room. Was extremely nervous as several reviews made note of how small rooms were and a double sounded like it would be tiny. Well it was, but in all honesty it was still great. They made good use of the space and we never felt frustrated or cramped. Bed and bed linens were Excellent! We had a coffee pot in the room, which is a necessity in my mind. We were in the annex that opens out onto a great, private, quiet, secluded courtyard. We were in the best location imaginable. Very close to really everything thing (Louis Armstrong park, French Quarter, great local diners, John Lafitte tavern, etc) but at the same time when you were done for the day you had this really quiet room to come back to. I would not hesistate to stay here again. Don't be scared by the size of the rooms. There is certainly enough space to get ready without a problem and other than that, how much time do you really intend to spend in your room in New Orleans. I'm so glad I stuck with my reservation.

Room Tip: Clover Grill is a great neighborhood lunch spot just a few blocks away. Love the vibe, the food, an...
1  Thank pator

We are so pleased you were able to snag our last available room during Spring Break and were able to enjoy your stay at the Inn on St Ann. It's definitely music to our ears to hear you would stay with us again "in a heartbeat!"

From our prime location in the center of the French Quarter and the private courtyard just off of your room, to the Serta Sleeper pillowtop mattresses and premium hotel linens, it sounds like some of our favorite attributes of the Inn on St Ann were yours as well!

Thank you again for sharing your experience at the Inn on St Ann with us and we look forward to having you back at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel a better rating, but our experience just wasn't what I had hoped for.
First, the hotel staff is incredible. Everyone who works here is great. They really make the hotel. The old french quarter building is beautiful with lots of character. I loved the tall ceilings, large windows and courtyard. Everything was very clean, well kept and updated.
We stayed in the Louis Armstrong suite. It's a beautiful, big room with 10 foot walk out windows to your own private balcony. Compared to the prices of other balcony rooms in the city, this was a steal. Just a few things to consider about this room...
It is not well insulated from outside noise. If you're a light sleeper you may want to rethink booking this room. You're far enough from Bourbon, but only a half block from Louis Armstrong park, which was hosting a weekend long festival with amplifiers blaring day and night. It was all we could hear. Also, the Louis Armstrong suite does not have a separate bedroom as the website leads you to believe. I was very disappointed with this. Another reviewer mentioned it had an alcove. It doesn't. It's one large room. It made things difficult as my husband likes to get up very early and I like to sleep in. The suite itself is very nice, but just not what I expected. There were some other minor issues, being woke up from our afternoon nap so management could fix the flags off the balcony. The bathroom tub did not drain and my biggest pet peeve, no full length mirrors. Overall, we had a great time. I would recommend this hotel, but would not book this property again, just because we spent most of our time in other parts of the french quarter, which made for long walks to/from the hotel.

1  Thank AuntJeanie

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are so pleased to hear you found our staff to be so incredible and your suite so beautiful! The Louis Armstrong Suite at the Inn on St Ann is one of our fan favorites, between the private walk-out balcony and the old New Orleans charm, it truly immerses you into the culture.

We are sorry to hear that the city noise was not kind to you during your stay. As New Orleans is known for it's year-round festivals, the weekends can be a bit noisier than weekdays. As all of our properties are newly renovated, we have done our best to insulate the guestrooms and suites with new doors and windows to block out noise.

We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and would recommend French Quarter Guest Houses properties to others. As you may be looking for an alternative location for your future visit, you might want to check out our sister properties, the Lamothe House or Inn on Ursulines, which are located on the quieter end of the French Quarter (Lamothe House being off of Esplanade in the Faubourg Marigny).

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We've been to New Orleans many, many times, and have stayed in all sorts of places, ranging from typical hotels to bed & breakfasts. The Inn on St. Ann (and its sister properties) remains our top choice. How could one possibly improve on charm, genuinely friendly service, location, great value and cleanliness? Our room last week was tiny, but it opened on to a private courtyard with a fountain, had a luxurious bathroom and a wonderfully comfortable bed ~ and the fact that the Inn on St. Ann is an old, old home listed on the National Registry of Historic Places is amazing. If you're looking for bland off-ramp homogeneity, go elsewhere. If you want a taste of history and genuine New Orleans enchantment, stay here! My only quibble was that the continental breakfast consisted of coffee and some fruit. It would be nice to have been able to grab a pastry or something a little more substantial on the way out the door in the morning. In short, though, I would recommend this place wholeheartedly.

2  Thank Jen P
Marianne P, Manager at Inn on St Ann, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Inn on St Ann with us and others on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the Inn on St Ann to others!

We are so pleased to hear the Inn on St Ann hit every point you were looking for in your accommodations in New Orleans. You have essentially summed up our French Quarter Guest Houses promise in one sentence, "...charm, genuinely friendly service, location, great value and cleanliness."

You also noted how comfortable your guestroom was, although it was a bit small. As the Inn on St Ann is a historic property, the room sizes may vary, however, every guest rooms is newly renovated and furnishings were hand selected to fit each room's size perfectly. From our Serta Sleeper pillowtop mattresses to the Carrera marble countertops and showers, our guestrooms are sure to please!

Unfortunately, we do not offer a continental breakfast at any of our properties currently. We do, however, offer coffee, tea and fresh fruit 24 hours a day for our guests. We find that our guests enjoy venturing out to grab a beignet at Cafe Du Monde, or fresh pastry at Cafe Envy but still offer a cup of coffee and piece of fruit to get our guests moving in the morning!

Thank you again for sharing your experience at the Inn on St Ann with us and we hope to see you again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at this charming guesthouse for eight nights and absolutely fell in love with the city (and it’s people) and this wonderful home away from home. The room itself was incredibly cozy and comfy. The furnishings were beautiful, the mattress was more than comfortable and afforded us wonderful sleeps at the end of a day filled with walking adventures through the Vieux Carré and elsewhere. Staying here was like staying at a rich friend’s house that provided you with a room and ensuite – with the bonus of daily housekeeping!

The room had many amenities including a great flat screen TV, ceiling fan, large bathtub, and air conditioning. Morning included a coffee maker in the room and wonderful Community Coffee. There were fresh apples, oranges and bananas in the house foyer for guests. I don’t know why anyone would expect a full course breakfast here, when you have the world’s greatest restaurants at your feet for breakfast! We would usually get a couple of apples for later in the evening when we came home from a day of sightseeing.

Also there is a great little grocery store around the corner that sells treats, fresh fruit, beer and liquor and makes delicious po-boys, gumbos and rice and beans.

Cleanliness? Impeccable. Staff- was friendly, knowledgeable and courteous. Our only real complaint was that the week went by too fast, and we had to come home. Not sure if the management can do anything about that!

If you want a peaceful stay, at a clean location in the French Quarter, I can’t imagine a better place than the Inn on St. Ann. If you want a pool or fitness center or a cookie-cutter hotel, this is not the place for you. If you want to stay in the French Quarter in a historic home that will make you feel like a local, then I strongly recommend it here.

Thank you to all an Inn on St. Ann for taking care of us like family.

Room Tip: Top floor was quiet - away from the street crowds of the French Quarter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Inn on St Ann with us and others on TripAdvisor. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

It sounds like the Inn on St Ann's accommodations were exactly what you were looking for in New Orleans! As all of our guest rooms are newly renovated, we have updated them to provide all of the modern amenities one would expect from a larger chain hotel, such as flat-panel TV and free wi-fi, while still being able to provide the authenticity and charm of a smaller boutique hotel.

You also mentioned the "impeccable" state of your guestroom, which we are so pleased to hear as our housekeeping staff take much pride in their service and cleanliness is a top priority at all of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties.

Lastly, you mentioned our great location as we are within walking distance of all the happenings in the French Quarter. We find that our guests enjoy residing in the residential section of the quarter, which allows them to feel like a local, while still having all of the conveniences and amenities of staying in a hotel.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we hope to see you again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!