“What a treat, two easy walkable blocks from the French Quarter”

Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD
Ranked #55 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Macon, Georgia
“What a treat, two easy walkable blocks from the French Quarter”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

You could stay at this hotel and nitpick just about anything and I have to ask, why would you want to do that? The staff are great from valet parking to front desk to housekeeping and restaurant. The valet parking staff are overwhelmed with business and maintain a cheerful and responsive outlook. And, they were fast. They said to give them 5 to 10 minutes notice but I forgot two of the days and my car was still there when I got to the ground level. The breakfast is buffet with cooked to order eggs. Yes, maybe you could get better but not by much and not when included in the price. The servers were very busy and still friendly and efficient. Housekeeping provided additional help that would not be expected with a smile and a remembrance so they greeted you later in the week and started a conversation. Had a nice suite with an ok view. The view from the pool on the roof was the best in town. And, it is near the French Quarter. Take a left out of the hotel and the first left then walk two blocks, cross Canal Street and you are in the French Quarter on Bourbon Street. Again, you can nitpick this place or you can enjoy the rooms, the roof top, the staff, the food, the service and the location for a price much better than anything else I could find while making my reservation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sometrip
Kristi T, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thanks for taking a moment to share your visit at the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter. Your positive comments about the staff and service are much appreciated. We really enjoy knowing that you had a great stay!

Come see us again soon,

Kristi Taglauer, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Korean first
Newmarket, Ontario
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Gravier property is worth considering if you want to be away from the downtown hustle and bustle and want to save some cash. The walk to the french quarter is about 12-15 minutes. Property is close to canal street and st. charles street street cars, which are easy to use and lovely. Skip the breakfasts as the food at nearby locales is far far better and better value, for example red gravy and ruby slipper. Don't book excursions from the hotel as you will have to wait downstairs in the noise and cold. The gravier seemed to be last stop for a lot of excursions and the wait was about half an hour from the time the tour company said to be ready. Very annoying! Perhaps the hotel can work something out with the tour company so that guests could wait in their lobby on the 11th floor and then be called down when the bus is five minutes away. Other than these issues the hotel was nice enough. Room needed to be dusted when we were there, but otherwise room standard for a garden inn. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
It was great of you to share your comments. Fabulous tip on the expectations for the tour pick up and I will definitely share this with my guest service team to work on improving this for our guests.

Get back to New Orleans soon!

Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is located on the border of French Quarters and Central Business District. Parking is outrageous but probably not for a downtown hotel I guess. Room was satisfactory! Staff was very polite and accommodating. Walking to French Market was quiet a hike but doable. .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It was really awesome to see that you enjoyed our staff. You are right the French Market is on the opposite end of the French Quarter from our hotel so you definitely got your exercise! Parking is a premium in downtown New Orleans due to the crowded real estate but our parking rates are very competitive with our neighbors.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again soon!

New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sorry just showing off my french language skills, Well what can I say about this hotel apart from everything is outstanding at this hotel.
The welcome was to say the least very warm. As I drove into the hotel for the valet service they seem to know me already and calling me by my name. The reception is on the 11th floor and again a very warm welcome. They certainly want to go to the extra mile to make sure all your needs are taken care of.
The rooms are very well appointed and very comfortable beds, Don't expect a room with a view as this is in the middle of the French quarter so not far to walk pretty much anywhere.
I would advise to walk or the hotel can arrange a taxi for you and of course Bourbon St. is only 3 blocks away from the hotel so you will definitely need transportation back.
This Hotel received the 2012 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award and it does not surprise me, they exceed excellence above and beyond the call of duty.
As for the French Quarter I cant remember but I think it was good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your great visit with us at the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter! We truly do take to heart our guest's feedback and it means alot to our team that you enjoyed our hospitality.

Keep New Orleans on your travel list.

Kristi Taglauer, General Manager.
Germantown
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Definite shout out to the staff who I felt went the extra mile. Especially true at breakfast. Wish I had the name of the waiter in the morning but he was attentive and very friendly and *really* seemed to care "if everything was OK" vs just asking that question
Rooms were nice typical HGI with nice linens. The view was of a building site as this was a little outside the French Quarter. That was good in my mind. If you wanted to enjoy the French quarter activities you could do that but when you got back to your hotel you were far enough away to get some peace and quiet to rest!
Like many hotels reception was on a higher floor (11) and rooms above with the parking between ground and 11. Despite the hotel being full I never experience any long waits for elevators
Liked the gym which was on the roof and had a view to match. As with so many of these properties was not big enough nor enough equipment
Did not use the roof top pool but it looked nice

• Stayed March 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We are Hilton Grand Vacation Club owners and Hilton Honors members, so when we decided to come to New Orleans, we really just had to choose which Hilton property we preferred. We used points for the trip. I chose the Hilton Garden Inn because of some of the amenities it had. We wanted a fridge and microwave in the room. We are not night owls and typically start walking around pretty early. By the time the party crowd is getting ready to roll, we are usually ready to enjoy some quiet time in our room for the night. While doing that, we wanted to be have a way to enjoy some cocktails and snacks in the room.

The lobby/restaurant area is very nice. The warm chocolate chip cookies are always available and they are SO GOOD. Not only is it a nice touch, but it satisfied my sweet tooth without me having to go find dessert after we got back to the hotel. The staff is all very friendly and helpful, from the front desk staff, to the bartenders, to the wait staff in the restaurant in the morning to the concierge. If we needed help with something, they were provided with a smile.

Our room was nice...nothing really special, but a comfortable room. We had an interior view (you basically see the center of the building) which was a little disappointing, but I forgot to make a special request before we got there. When I asked for an exterior view at check-in, they would have been willing to accommodate me, but those rooms were already filled. It was not a big deal at all. We were in the room to rest, and went outside to see the city.

The location of this hotel is a quick walk to Bourbon Street, Canal Street and the rest of the French Quarter. It is a little further to the Decatur Street attractions (Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde, etc) but not unmanageable at all.

Overall, not the nicest property we have ever stayed at but a very comfortable and nice stay.

I should mention that the free wireless, convenient breakfast and location would make this an excellent choice for the business traveler. I would also say that a rental car is not necessary. It is much less expensive to take a $33 cab ride from the airport and plan to walk, use streetcars for traveling around the city.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room if they are available.
1 Thank Joy67117
Kristi T, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to offer your comments about the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter. We're glad you enjoyed all the amenities our hotels has to offer as well as our great location just steps from the world famous French Quarter. Kudos to you for snagging a few of our awesome chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon and I agree that would solve my sweet tooth anyday!

We hope you travel to see us again soon!

Warm Regards,
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was lucky enough arrive in New Orleans for Fat Tuesday, the last day of Mardi Gras, this was by accident and not by design, so i think I was lucky to be able to get a room so close to the French Quarter in a decent hotel, The Hilton Garden in is a nice enough hotel, vey average in a lot of ways, , the rooms were ok, the the staff were friendly, and it was clean. That said, the good thing about this place was the location, the french quarter was just a short stroll away, and there are restuarants everywhere. The biggest negative about this place was the cost of parking, but, I guess its the price you pay for the location. I would stay at this place again, not because it was a particulalry great hotel, but because of its location

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Our staff is dedicated to making sure you have a clean and comfortable stay and I'm so glad we accomplished that for you! Parking is a bit of a headache in downtown New Orleans with the limited real estate but we do have the convenience of the garage being attached to the hotel.

Next time you're in New Orleans we hope you'll give us another opportunity to be your home away from home.

Safe Travels,