“Unique Rooms and Great Service”

Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel
Ranked #69 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This hotel is very nice. The staff were all very helpful with every request I had. The room was clean and unique to this location with a brick accent wall. Breakfast in the morning was a tasty and unexpected surprise. This hotel is perfectly located near all the New Orleans action, and perfect for a romantic getaway! One thing, you will have to valet your car unless you pay for street parking. But other than that, it was a great experience.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Tashena J, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for taking the time out to give the St Christopher Hotel a wonderful review on tripavisor. We are very Pleased the you enjoyed your stay and that we meet all of your hotel and Personal Needs. Please come and stay with us again when you are in New Orleans La.! don't forget to tell all of your friends and Family.

Sincerely Tashena Johnson

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Check-in was ok. The room was small, but pleasantly appointed. We had breakfast in the hotel the first morning of our visit. Breakfast staff was rude to several guests. Breakfast selection was less than average. Tables were not kept cleaned between parties.

The hotel is located close to many restaurants, sights. One can easily walk to most places. Just be aware of the crumbling sidewalks everywhere.

Would recommend you stay in room while it is being cleaned. Several of our things were moved (they were set on the desk) and items - that had been carefully packed - were laying on the desk. A hair clip was mysteriously missing from the bathroom. Still waiting on staff to finish their "investigation."

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kinisha S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Reviewed July 31, 2014

First impressions are very important, especially in the hospitality business. Let me begin by saying that I am fairly easy to please, but when I walked up to the front desk at the St. Christopher I was not made to feel like I was a welcomed guest. When I arrived and approached the front desk, the clerk was very apparently on a personal call, and did not say a word to me. She continued on with her conversation and after several minutes decided to hang up and register me. My thought was, that was very unprofessional. It was 3 PM and there were no rooms of the type that I had reserved that were clean. I had things to do so I checked my bag and was told that the room should be ready in about an hour. The front desk clerk volunteered to call me when the room was ready. Never did receive that call, another bad impression.

Returned later that evening checked in with a different front desk clerk, without incident and went to my room. It was a case of watch out what you ask for you just might get it. I asked for a room away from street noise and away from the elevators if possible. I got a room not far from the elevator but it was definitely away from street noise. There was no window, except for the make believe window made from mirrors and curtains. Not really a bad situation just very unusual. The room was small but clean and well appointed. I got what I wanted a good night sleep and a hot shower in the morning. Breakfast was good as a continental breakfast can be. I got the same poor attitude at check out as at check in. They ignored me for a while, then sign here. No how was your stay, thank you for staying with us, hope you return soon.

Would I stay at the St. Christopher again, probably yes, if the rate was right.

My suggestion would be for the owners to get professional training for their front desk staff, because they definitely do not know how to work the front desk properly.

Room Tip: Unless your room is high above street level ask for a room away from the street. It can get really n...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Imaspacecowboy

Thank you for your comments. We're so sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit at The Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

My review would concur with most already listed. Pretty nice place to stay. Clean. Near to the Quarter, restaurants, the river, the trolley/street car stops (get the day pass for $3.00 and get on and off anywhere you want! Pay the driver with exact cash when you get on.)... Hotel is a reasonable rate for the area and the beds are comfortable. The breakfast with pancake machine was adequate. The brick walls are beautiful!

Upon our check in the attendant was very professional, dry, factual.

Upon my sister's check in, we were told repeatedly by a different attendant, "Check in is Not Guaranteed for 4 p.m." And so we waited and waited for their room - well after 4. Had the woman said, "I am sorry, we ended up being understaffed today and so housekeeping is running behind..." or something, this review would be quite different. The desk attendant was rude.

I wish I had read more about this hotel on Tripadvisor before I booked here. I now see others had the same experience. We booked a room as a gift for my sister and her husband and the first impression, because of this attendant's behavior, was very poor. With so many hotels nearby and in the French Quarter, I was surprised at this greeting.

The rooms are nice. We requested and did get an upper windowed room, though not the corner room we asked for nor one facing the river. We requested the same for my sister and she got no corner room, no window at all -but the skylight in her room was nice. The attendant above had unfriendly council on this issue as well but I hesitate to write a totally negative review based on one staff person's discourtesy.

Merlin, the concierge, and the housekeeping staff were friendly, professional and helpful.

We had many friends staying at the Sheraton just steps around the corner from our hotel and we are glad to not be there.The Sheraton has no free wifi, the escalator was down one full day, and people had to wait sometimes 25 minutes for an elevator - which isn't a problem unless you are on the 40th floor.

Overall I might consider staying again at the Best Western St. Christopher but more likely would opt for the Place 'D Armes, the Bourbon Orleans Hotel or one of the true classic New Orleans offerings.

Room Tip: Insist on an upper room with a view. Inside rooms and Jacuzzi rooms have no windows.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lori P

I’m deeply sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at The Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel. This is highly uncharacteristic of our staff, as we pride ourselves on being efficient and very helpful with all our guests. The experience you received is not acceptable and that’s not what we promote. However, I want to send out my deepest apology for your experience, I hope in the future if you travel to New Orleans you give us a second chance.

Starting with the negative:
1. We booked a room with one king bed and a sofa bed for 3 persons.
a. There were no sheets or pillows for the sofa bed and only two pairs of towels.
b. I asked for sheets, pillows, towels when we checked in around 4pm, but received nothing until 8pm
c. The response I got the second time I asked in the hotel front office was "There are no more pillows, but we can give you a blanket to use as pillow; please wait to bring you the sheets". So not only the whole hotel did not have pillows (but offered me a blanlket instead!), I had to also wait for 5 minutes to carry my own sheets and pillows! At this time I din't even ask for more towels, we could manage with just two pairs.
2. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT stay in room 202 - it has a roof window above the sofa bed. If it rains you won't be able to sleep because of the noise. If you are planning to use the sofa bed, the light in the morning will wake you up early.
3. Do NOT stay in the second floor - it is open to the lobby, so it can be very noisy (and it was).
4. Second day in the hotel, we leave the room at 9am and when we come back at 4pm, it is still not cleaned.. We had to ask for towels, which they brought within 15' but did not pick up the used ones (Again just two pairs for 3 persons)
5. the pressure of the shower head is so much it gets annoying, and displeasant to shower your head..
And some positive:
1. The location is amazing, so you can walk around easily.
2. It is quite cheap with free breakfast (classic US hotel breakfast)
3. Clean common areas and clean room (at least at first)
In general, this was by far the worst experience we ever had in a hotel. Also, out of the five employees we interacted with, two were very impolite and seemed irritated we asked stuff.
Maybe if you pick another room in higher floors, it will be better, but next time we will spend some more and stay to a better hotel.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the second floor - it is open to the lobby and loud. Also room 202 has a roof window...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your response, we would like to apologize for the experience you had during your visit at The Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel. I would like to thank you for staying at The Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel and if you’re ever in the city again please visit so that we can change things around for you.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Excellent value for the money. I can honestly say that they are the most comfortable beds that we have ever experienced in a hotel. The breakfast was above average for hotels that include the service and the staff due an excellent job at catering to the needs of a very impatient and demanding public.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for leaving such lovely comment. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Best Western plus St. Christopher Hotel. Also, thank you for recognizing our staff we pride our self in making sure each guest stay is a memorable one. Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed during July. The breakfast was good had a great pancake maker. The evening service was awful, while arriving the concierge had a bad attitude, I could not find a place to park so I called the concierge took me asking three times before she informed me that they valet. Also while waiting for my car to be pulled around one evening I witnessed the evening concierge placing a customer on hold to order her dinner.