“Just what we needed” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portsmouth, Rhode Island, United States
“Just what we needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The location of this hotel was perfect. A short walk to the French Quarter or the cable car lines kept us close to all of our planned activities. I chose the Best Western for the complimentary breakfast which was your basic Best Western fare. Better to start the day with hardboiled eggs and oatmeal, that way the beignets we indulged in didn't produce as much guilt! The room was small and clean, we had no problems with towels or daily maid service. The front desk informed us at check in about the credit card scams so we were prepared.....although if the caller identified themselves as FROM the front desk, I might have fallen for it too. The AC unit was loud and our view was of a brick wall from next door but I sleep with earplugs on a nightly basis and I sure as heck wasn't in NOLA for the hotel view. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jan M
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback. Please feel free to call me on your next visit and I will make sure that you have a room with a wonderful view of the river.

Daphne Augillard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Polish first
Great Falls, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had booked two rooms here last October, for a business trip scheduled for May 2013. As time passed my business trip got canceled, and frankly, I forgot about the reservation. It cost me $354 as a result (charged to my credit card in May 2013). The staff refused any leniency or consideration of a reduction in the penalty.
THIS IS IMPORTANT because this hotel does not send out any reminder emails or welcome emails regarding your upcoming reservation. None whatsoever. Had they done so, I would have immediately canceled both rooms.
For me, at least, I will choose other hotel brands which extend that courtesy. This brand is just not worth the risk to me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gentle_heart
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I am very sorry that were a victim of a credit card scam. To assist our guest with this issues 6 months ago when the hotel motel association realized that a scam was in our area; we made every effort to make our guest aware. Therefore we posted on the Lodgenet T.V. in all the rooms and at check in the guest are also told of the scam. Again I am very sorry unfortuantely New Orleans, La isn't the only state at this time that is having this issue. If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

Front Office Mgr.
Bordeaux, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was victim of a scam less than 10 minutes after checking in. Just after entering my room, I received a phone call from someone pretending to be the manager of the hotel and saying that there was an issue with my credit card. She asked for my credit card number again and the day after, I received a phone call from my bank informing me that I've been victim of a fraud... When I inquired about this to the front desk, the just said they forgot to tell me about the scam that was going on and that they were sorry. Having your credit card blocked to prevent further fraud on it while you are on holidays is not really helpful...
Moreover, the cleaning ladies seemed to be a little overwhelmed : we had to ask for clean towels everyday and the bed had never been made during our stay.
Other than that, the hotel was great but I will always have bitter memories of my stay in this Best Western.
I might be able to get over it at one point and update this review to include more information about the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ange-Pierre
I am so sorry that you were a victim of this credit card scam. To help curb this issue 6 months ago we put all information concerning the scam on the Lodgenet television sytem in every guest room. I am very sorry that you experienced this issue. If there is anything that we can do to help please do not hesitate to call us.

Front Office Mgr.
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Hello!

We stayed here for the night before a cruise in April. Literally 5 minutes after we checked in my credit card, which was only used there, was stolen! Thank goodness my credit card company is amazing and called me about suspicious charges. After contacting Best Western about this I was told "they sent this to higher management" and then never heard back from then. Nice hotel, shady employees.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
I am very sorry that you experienced the credit card scam that is happening in the hospitality industry world wide. To help cut down on this scam the St. Christopher Hotel put all scam information on the Lodgenet T.V. sytem in all the guest rooms this sytem has been in place for a long time. Again I am very sorry if there is anything that we can do to help please do not hesitate to call.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel is well located and the price was very reasonable compared to others in the area. It was an amazing surprise not only because we liked a lot the room, also the breakfast was included and good enough. For us, verything worked. They gave us a room in the fifth floor, it wasn't noisy at all. Everything was clean and in a good conditions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elinadallas
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. All of us at the St. Christopher Hotel welcome you to come back anytime and see us. It was our pleasure to serve you during your trip.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We moved to this hotel after staying a couple of days in Nearby Courtyard, and must say that the change was for good. The location is good to visit French Quarter, and NOLA in general.

The rooms are a little small, but not bad. Be sure that the room you reserve has windows, as I think they have some "interior rooms" without (an absolute no, no) and it is kind of a cozy place, with old style decor. Clean, good service, well equipped. And for less $ than the Courtyard, we got breakfast included. No doubt a good option for a inexpensive stay near the eboullious Bourbon St.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your survey, we welcome you to come back anytime and have a great time.

Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We enjoyed our two week stay, the room was clean and comfortable, the staff were all friendly and welcoming every time we arrived back. The location was great, just off canal street and walking distance to the french quarter. Also had a 24/7 shop on the corner. The room didn't have windows but this didn't really bother us as we weren't in it much.
Loved the pancake making machine but after 2 weeks the breakfast was a little boring, Ruby slipper on the next corner does wonderful breakfast.
Down points for us were that the hotel allows dogs to stay and on a couple of nights I struggled to get my son to sleep because we could hear a dog whining at a door down our hallway.
Also the house keeping was a little inconsistent, one day they left my bin on my bed, another day they didn't come at all, mostly it was great though.

Room Tip: Ask for a window if you get claustrophobic