Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel
Ranked #69 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed during springbreak. The hotel was nice but for a family of 4 the rooms were tight. The young lady who checked us in wasn't all that friendly. Your facial expression says it all. Everyone one else was very friendly. Breakfast was ok. I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for completing a survey about our hotel.

By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. I am very sorry you experienced unfriendliness at the front office level. I assure you it will be addressed.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Location was great. Price was reasonable comapred to hotels in the area. Staff was helpful when asking about local activities. The room was very noisy. We heard water running in the middle of the night and early morning. A train went by blowing it's horn in the middle of the night. There were not enough clean towels and we ran out of shampoo.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 504-648-0444.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Some of the things I love about a good hotel:
1) When you request a particular room, and they try to accommodate you;
2) When you get a smile and greeting upon checking in;
3) When the chest of drawers in your room has a pull, allowing you to open the drawer;
4) When the maids don't take it upon themselves to change things in your room;
5) When the front desk communicates well with the rest of the staff.

None of these things happened at the St. Christopher.

As a loyal Best Western patron, I have stayed at this hotel 5 times over 9 years and have seen it decline dramatically in the last 2 years. I would never stay here again, nor would I recommend it to anyone. To wit:
1) We requested a particular room via email a week in advance of our trip. We followed up with a phone call 3 days in advance. I understand a request like this cannot always be accommodated - I do not accept management's unwillingness to try, or to communicate.
2) Upon check-in, the woman behind the desk stared at me for 15 seconds, and never spoke. No "hello", or "welcome" or "may I help you?". The rude behavior of the front desk was a constant for the entire stay. They treat you like they're doing you a personal favor.
3) The chest of drawers in our room was unfit for Goodwill! One drawer was completely missing a handle. The second drawer has a handle hanging by one screw, and a 4" gouge in the front of it. Is the General Manager of this hotel beyond embarrassment?
4) One day, the maid decided the temperature in our room didn't suit her, so she took it upon herself to change it. We can back to a room that was freezing. Another day the maid took the toilet paper from the dispenser and left us with none.
5) Upon leaving, we called down for our car with 20 minute notice (15 is requested). upon coming to the lobby, we found the front desk had never bothered to tell the car jockey to retrieve our car. This despite the fact that there was no one in the lobby, and neither of them was doing a thing. They were standing 15 feet from each other!
6) Our primary room had no wastebasket. Really?
7) The electrical outlet in our room was very loose and worked only if you held the outlet with one hand (really safe, I'm sure) and your powered device in the other.
8) The room did not appear to be vacuumed the entire 6 days of our stay.
9) The complimentary breakfast is not awful, but clearly below average.

So this is what you're in for at the St. Christopher - a mediocre hotel with a surly staff. LAST YEAR, I had a problem with a toilet that ran non-stop for 4 days, and the lack of response from the hotel management meant I had to address it with the Corporate Vice-President of Customer Services (I'm sure that made the GM look real good). But I went back, because the comped me one night as a result of failing to address the problem with the toilet in 2012.

It wasn't worth going back for the free night. With so many choices in New Orleans for lodging, why would someone stay here? I won't make that mistake again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Borzy52
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 504-648-0444.

Daphne Augillard

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Lovely room (exposed brick, so quaint!) with wonderful staff just across Canal Street,(Magazine St. becomes Decatur St when you cross Canal St) the beginning of the French Quarter. WWII Museum, Civil War Museum and many great restaurants are walking distance. Tasty breakfast and wifi included. Front desk staff warned us that con artists call hotel rooms throughout the city pretending to be hotel staff asking for your credit card info so not to fall for it if they called. Sure enough, we got one of those calls at 1:40 am. We were glad for the warning! Much more affordable than hotels directly in the FQ, so save your money for tours, meals, Hurricanes and beignets and stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a window room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I am extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Daphne Augillard

Reviewed April 10, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed April 8, 2013

While we stayed, someone barged into our room. The front desk was rude and unapologetic. They quickly assumed that it was "maintenance." No apologies. Hotel staff claimed that the manager was unavailable for 16 hours. Lock your door! Better yet, stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank JKM838

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The St Christopher is on Magazine St, just across Canal St. It's an easy and interesting walk to the French Quarter. The WWII museum is a 10minute walk the other way down Magazine St.
Our room was very tasteful, just a little small. One armchair, and one odd desk sort of chair. We used the table to put our snacks and stuff on. The bathroom was nice, but the chic pedestal lavatory didn't give you any place to set your stuff down. There was some wire shelves over the john, but not too handy. The window looked out on an airshaft sort of thing, but it gave you an idea of how thick the walls were in this old building.
The staff was helpful in getting us a cab to the airport and telling us about the bus passes.
The breakfast was included and was okay. Not great, but okay.
I would definitely stay there again. It was a good value.

Room Tip: Be sure and check if the room has a window, if that's important to you. Some of them don't h...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ginny067

I am so happy you had a great stay with us. I would like to invite you to come back again. Please do not hesitate to call.

Front Office Mgr.