“Sugar Bowl”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
“Sugar Bowl”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great location for walking in New Orleans. $35.00 per night for parking. Room 204 is loud. Located just about dining area. Dont expect to sleep late in the morning. This room has a skylight, no windows. Unbelivebly loud when it rains. Front desk overwhelmed with guests because of special event.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank TIM H
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
I am pleased to hear that we accommodated you in being centrally located. I do want to apologize for any inconvenience of noise his may have caused being super bowl. Please on your next stay please let us take care of your reservation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I wanted to stay downtown since we had only one night in New Orleans and this hotel is in a good, quiet location and walking distance to everything we wanted to see. However, they did not tell us we had a large fee for parking (and would be charged every time we moved our car; good thing we didn't need it!), and that our view would be a brick wall. I don't know if it was because it was the week after Christmas and winter is an off season, but the breakfast was not what was desribed in the other reviews either. Few choices and nothing fresh. We tried to get some information about where to have dinner since we had never been to N.O., and the clerk acted bothered. The room itself had a really coolk bricjk wall which was one reason I chose it in the first place. It was comfortable and clean. Not sure I would choose it again since there are so many options.

Room Tip: Ask for a view that is not a brick wall.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank koleke
BWChristopher, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am so sorry that your experience was not 100%. Our hotel confirmation letters do state that we only offer valet parking but you have given me a great idea. I will look into adding the fee associated with valet parking to future confirmation letters. I do thank you for your feedback regarding this.

As for the breakfast our delivery truck was running late one morning and we did run low on pastries. For this I also apologize as this is not our standard service and our guests have submitted raving reviews about how wonderful our breakfast area and selection is so I am hopeful that when you return to New Orleans you contact me direclty and I will make this up to you.

We value every guest opinion, comment, and review and I thank you very much for taking the time to comment. When you return to New Orleans I would love the opportunity to serve you again. As a New Orleans native it is part of my heritage to want you to be 100% happy with your visit here. Please call me directly for your future reservation needs.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day,
Dena Aicklen
Director of Sales
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We received a great deal on Hotwire for this hotel and we're glad we did! The location is great, with easy access to everything by foot. We enjoyed the decor of the rooms and had a room with a semi view of towards the Mississippi. The free breakfast was great with bread and pastry options, cheese, hard boiled eggs, cereal, pancakes, sausage sandwiches, fruit and granola bars. They also had an area with computers that we could print out items we needed and free WiFi.
A great deal!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for your comments! We appreciate your comments and look forward to your future visits in New Orleans!
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Not a hotel that I would've chosen, but someone else in my party was responsible for the room reservations. It's in a good, quiet location -- close to everything without being in the middle of it. I shared a double room, which was pretty roomy. My parents had a queen which was really cramped. Loved the exposed brick and the large windows. We did have a problem with the bathroom window. The blinds couldn't be lowered or closed, but maintenance took care of it quickly after we reported the issue. We also had some issues with maid service. One day my room didn't get cleaned at all, and my parents had to call down to the front desk on two separate days to get fresh washcloths.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Riverside, California
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I very much liked the rooms with brick walls and everything in it was decent. They allow dogs and are in a very good location. Of course, there is NO grass anywhere to let the dogs go to the bathroom so we had to walk them down a back alley to pee. Also, there is no parking so you have to valet and it takes about 15 minutes to get your car.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for coming to stay with the Best Western St. Christopher Hotel. On your next reservation please don’t hesitate to give us a call so we may book your room.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night. We had an amazing time in New Orleans, but this place was just such a horrible experience.

Of course we were in New Orleans during a weekend, so we were out very late. Check out is at 11am, so then why did 2 people knock on our door before 10am? 1 person was house keepings, the other was some guy just asking us when we were checking out. While trying to get sleep, this was obnoxious. After that time, we decided to extend our stay for half a day since our flight didn't depart until 5:40pm. We called down to front desk but we were put on hold for a long period without explanation. When we called back, the lady said "Can you just come down here? I have everyone in front of me checking out". We extended our stay through 4pm. After that, FOUR more people knocked on our door. After the 2nd one, I politiely asked that people stop knocking on our door. There wasn't a "Do Not Disturb" door hanger.. The last person that knocked on our door didn't actually knock. She used her key card and opened the door and rudely asked if we were checking out. I explained we extended our stay and she said "Ok Front Desk will be calling you"... What the heck for?
The communication between the staff is horrendous, and resulted in us getting horrible sleep and being put into a horrible mood. We even asked for a late check out and were denied, even though the gentleman running the bar told me they were only 47% full. At 47% full, I expected to not be right next to the Storage unit that staff uses for cleaning supplies while they're cleaning rooms. ALL morning the door was being slammed shut... miserable.
Staff was rude, bad communication, and not to mention there were ants everywhere. Dead ants on our bed spread, dead ants on both night stands, a few in the sink, and I saw one on the ceiling above my bed. Will definitely NOT be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple