“Pleasantly surprised!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel
Ranked #67 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Galveston, Texas
“Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western St. Christopher in January 2012 for 2 nights. I got a bargain AAA rate of $98/night and was quite pleased with it overall. It's an old, historic building with exposed brick in the room and it has been nicely updated. I stayed in a room with a queen size bed on the 8th floor and had no issues. The free breakfast isn't anything to write home about but there was juice, coffee, pastries, fresh waffles, hard boiled eggs and cereal.
The main thing this hotel has going for it is the location. A few steps off of Canal St. and the Quarter is only a few blocks away. Well within comfortable safe walking distance. I would stay here again - especially for this rate.

Room Tip: My room had a regular window that looked out onto Magazine St. on the 8th floor. I hear some rooms...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Stagalv_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Polish first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Thirty minutes prior to checking in the hotel called to say that they were overbooked, but had a room for us on the New Orleans Westbank. I told the manager that this was not acceptable and she would have to find us another room. She called back in about 20 minutes and said to come on down to the hotel that they had found us a room.
The hotel is very conveniently located one block from Canal St. in an old restored building. While our experience would have been rated "2" I gave it a "3". The staff turned out to be very accomodating and the location is excellent. The city could do a better job of maintaining the sidewalk between the hotel and Canal St.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor away from magazine St.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimF1935
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I will preface this with the fact that I was violently ill with a stomach virus during my stay, so that could color my view, but some things are objectively true. First, the furniture was too large for the room, and I had to move chairs to make it functional. That's cool, though. I can handle "quaint"- but what I couldn't handle was the poor service and the harassment. Housekeeping insists on banging on your door and not leaving, demanding a signature on something even when you are naked and covered in germs. The Do Not Disturb sign DOES NOT WORK. They will knock and try to enter anyway. Even when I grabbed a blanket to cover myself and pulled off the Do Not Disturb sign and said to them, "What does this mean?" they still said I had to sign their stupid log. And- my credit card is still maxed out because they take your deposit off the card each day and supposedly refund it at the end of the stay. This has yet to happen. OH, PLUS, don't forget that the staff reminds you that although you are paying 4-star prices, you are in a motel 6 and you have to get your own bags. No bell service. Continental breakfast was also rather bleh. The whole stay, including being directed to a vending machine for toiletries, it was unpleasant at best. Stay elsewhere. The Astor across the street was a dream during my previous trip. Stay there.

Room Tip: Any room at another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Provida
BWChristopher, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
We appreciate your comments and use them to improve our guest's experience at the St. Christopher hotel.
We are sorry you had to suffer with a stomach virus during your stay. Bellman services are provided at the hotel a minimum from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM each day and there is usually someone on call after this time frame. Perhaps your check-in was after hours or maybe the bellman was tied up with other guests at the time of your check-in. You can always request a bellman from the front desk staff and someone will be glad to assist you.
Our housekeeping staff is very diligent about cleaning the rooms assigned to them as we pride ourselves in maintaining a clean property.
We would also like to mention that the breakfast service has been completely revised and upgraded.

We are disappointed you had issues during your stay with us and for that we apologize.
Madison,Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

Hotel was clean but the service was lacking. The continental breakfast was adequate but not kept up by the staff in charge. The tables were rarely cleaned and the help didn't seem to care. The bartender was friendly and gave good advice on where to go and what to see during the holiday.

Room Tip: Do not take a room with a skylight. It is too noisy when it rains!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sockitpet
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I took my daughter and her fiancee to New Orleans and we looked into using a coupon we found to get a room there at a great rate for a place near the French Quarter. We were very happy when we checked out the room prior to actually checking in. We thought it was a great deal and understood how, during peaks, this same room could go for much more than we paid! It was well within walking distance of the French Quarter, the rooms were very clean, the staff was VERY helpful, friendly, and informative... we would most certainly stay there again.

They did serve a basic continental breakfast, but my daughter wanted to get beignets from Cafe DuMonde anyway. Plus, there is a 24 store right next door as well if you need something short notice, I do not believe they have restaurant service in the hotel either, but we weren't interested in that either.

Room Tip: I normally check out a room before I agree to take the room, taking a look at it before you agree ca...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Marty J
Kinisha S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves in comfort, great staff and the perfect location that is close to everything. We hope that you travel to our area again sometime in the future and get the opportunity to experience some of our great hospitality again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

I traveled to New Orleans for a long weekend. Due to flight times, I arrived at the hotel almost 5 hours before check-in, assuming I would just check my bag but the helpful staff was able to accomodate my early arrival and check me into my room. The room was great, large and clean with a great design (I love the exposed brick wall!) and also very quiet, since each floor only has a few rooms per wing. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom spacious. There was also a good free breakfast, including eggs and waffles.

The location of this hotel is also fantastic. It is just a block from the French Quarter, so simple and quick to get to the fun stuff, without the noise and crowds of being directly in the district. It is only a few minutes walk to Bourbon St., Jackson Square, House of Blues, Shops at Canal Place, the Mississippi River Walk and Harrah's Casino. If you are flying into New Orleans and don't mind a $30+ cab ride, there is no need to have a car if you enjoy walking.

I would definitely recommend this hotel! I was impressed with the price, especially for the location, and will definitely stay here again the next time I travel to New Orleans!

Room Tip: My room had a window but I did hear that not every room has a window, due to the structure of the bu...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kinisha S, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Christopher Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013

Thanks For Staying
C. Brie Stradford & Kinisha Stewart
Front Office Manager
North American
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

This hotel holds the ENTIRE balance of your stay on your credit card. Keep that in mind if you are planning to stay here on your trip, as it could impact your budget.

First, the PROS: Location is EXCELLENT. The hotel is just a few steps from Canal street; only a 2 min walk to the Canal St Trolley and within a couple blocks of St Charles Ave (take the trolley to the Garden District), Bourbon St and French Quarter. It is also a few minutes walk from the Casino. The rate was good and water pressure/temperature in the shower was excellent. My room (#408) was located VERY close to the elevators and vending machines, but I didn't hear a sound.

CONS: The mattress was the WORST! I had to cut my stay short by 3 days prior to checking in, which I was disappointed about, but I am so grateful that happened because the mattress was totally spongy/springy and worn out. I spoke to the front desk clerk in the morning and asked if there was another room I could change to because the bed was awful. She acknowledged the mattresses are all old and because of that changing rooms wouldn't make a difference. No apology or offer to discount the rate was made, which surprised me. Not only was the mattress well beyond the point of needing to be replaced, the hotel uses cheap small "throw cushion" type pillows, and one of the pillowcases was filthy (see photo). I cannot imagine how a anyone could wash, dry, fold it and make the bed and not see the stain... it was also on the bottom side, obviously meant to hide it.

On my second night I didn't get back from a business dinner until about 1am. When I entered the hotel, no one was at the desk. I went to my room and called the Front Desk. The man who answered the phone was extremely rude and cut me off mid-word with "What time do you want the wake-up call?" I excused myself and said that I wasn't finished speaking, and was calling to have the phone/clock replaced while I was out the following day in addition to the wake up call. He did not apologize for being so rude and interrupting me.

The hotel has old tube TVs, and the sound/video on the TV in #408 is very fuzzy. (Although, if you're in New Orleans, why bother watching TV?!)

I completed a survey emailed to me about my stay, and also emailed the hotel to outline these issues. I received a form letter with the subject line "DEEPEST SINCERE APOLOGY LETTER" (in caps in the original) from the manager, Tracy Collins, offering to mail me a voucher for free night at the hotel. I never received it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business