“great stay at five continents”

and 1 more site!
Five Continents Inn
Ranked #64 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Bremen, Germany
“great stay at five continents”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'd like to thank the hosts Peter and Walter for a great stay at the five continents. I was here for a week on a conference and really enjoyed coming back to this beautiful old house full of atmosphere after long days in the convention center, and to the hospitality of Peter and Walter.
Guest rooms are upstairs and beautifully furnished. I stayed in the eurasian suite, which has two connected bedrooms with hardwood floors, a very nice bath, and access to the balcony around the back part of the house. The only thing that I missed in my room was a desk to work on with my laptop, but I could have used the lobby downstairs (don't know why I didn't).
The B&B is located on esplanade avenue, roughly 8 blocks away from the french quarter, and looking into the side streets one notices that the neighborhood is very mixed, beautiful old houses like the 5 continents, but also some poorer buildings around. I never felt unsafe, though. I walked this stretch at least two times avery day, to and from the convention center, through the french quarter, which took me roughly 40 minutes (20 minutes to the french market). Esplanade avenue is a good starting point to explore also other parts of New Orleans than just the French Quarter, I recommend renting a bike to get around a bit. I just did this on the last day after the conference was over and regretted that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Peter N, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
It was so nice to have you stay with us at the Five Continents. We really appreciate your taking time to write. I hope we will see you again on your next visit to New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our accommodations provided a lovely backdrop to our visit to N.O. The amenities were comfortable and attractive. Peter prepared a delicious breakfast, and Walter provided lots of information about the history and culture of New Orleans. We would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful B & B to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Peter N, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thanks for writing. I am glad that you all enjoyed your stay here and chose the Five Continents. We really enjoy our time at breakfast with our guests. It is always a pleasure to have enjoyable and in depth conversations about New Orleans and our area and its history. We hope to see you again on one of your future visits to our city.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Peter, Walter and Akko are gracious hosts and made us most welcome for our return to New Orleans, 10 years after we got married at the then New Orleans Wedding Chapel just up the road. Their home is amazing - we experienced stepping back into another era, with effortlessly stylish touches throughout. It's not for people who want modern shiny and standardised - but fortunately our travel agent knows we like something chic and a bit different! Breakfasts are delicious - Peter's French Toast is a sweet toothed breakfaster's dream! And Akko, despite looking fierce, is impeccably mannered (he sits and shakes a paw!) and loves everyone - whilst they're eating! On our first morning, we chatted to some amazing people around the breakfast table until 11am - and Peter kept the coffee and juice flowing throughout. We enjoyed cheering on the New Orlean's marathon runners with our hosts and fellow guests - and will be forever grateful for the lift to the airport when our cab (previously very reliable) didn't turn up. We hadn't been back for 10 years, but having stayed here, I'd be keen for a return visit much sooner (but do avoid going via Dallas Fort Worth Airport - with its 4 hour queue to clear immigration!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It was great to have you here at the Five Continents. Thanks for writing. I am glad that you all enjoyed your stay and were able to spend your tenth anniversary just down the street from where you were married. Our breakfasts are a great time not only to enjoy some good food but also to get caught up on the latest adventures of the other guests in our city. That is one of the nicest things about Bed and Breakfasts in general and about the Five Continents in particular. We hope the rest of your trip was fun.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Have you ever wanted to experience sleeping on a pile of scrap metal? Look no further than five continents. The bed we had was totally f'd... As in, I'm sure it was at least 20 years old. We told them about it and they did replace it but not with a new one. The new mattress was still very poor but we at least managed some sleep on it. The place was full of dust and hair. The bathroom was so small it was almost unusable and the hot water takes about 2 minutes to come on with the hot tap on alone. The owners were nice enough but seemed totally disinterested in us and our stay. The location is ok for the price and the fact is has off street parking, but it does feel a bit shady after dark. If you're debating with yourself over spending more money to be a bit closer to town in a nicer place, please take my advice and do it. This place will disappoint.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Rocketboots
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for writing. Our wonderful multicultural city is well known for its food, hospitality, fun and adventure. Our many guests from all over the US and around the world enjoy these with the Five Continents as their home base. I hope you and your partner's next trip to our city is pleasant and the rest of your visit to this country goes well.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

First of all mattress was unusable. The sides had completely blown out and huge dip in middle, had worst nights sleep I had ever had as did my partner. We complained in the morning and they didn't seem overly shocked so they changed mattress. They had obviously had previous complaints but had done nothing. You could see the dip as soon as we walked in.
Found huge wad of dust/someone else's hair on bathroom floor, place was quite dirty. Carpets need replaced. Everything very dusty. Surely these places should be dusted/cleaned regularly.
Turned on shower and went to get undressed only to come back and whole bathroom flooded. Water goes straight through curtain onto floor. Bathroom is tiny, if you are even slightly overweight/tall you will struggle (Asian suite)
Breakfast was fine but the whole mattress experience and the dirtiness ruined the experience for us.
Stayed in a B and B in Memphis the next night for a cheaper rate and wow it's immaculate and beautiful and just shows difference in these places. Location is a 15 min walk from bourbon st etc but area doesn't feel safe. A lot of homeless people hanging around the streets. Disappointed overall.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Lynsinoz
Thank you for writing. As I noted to your partner above, I hope your next trip to our city is pleasant and the rest of your visit to this country goes well. We and four other popular B&Bs in this section of Esplanade Avenue host many wonderful people from around the world who enjoy our convenient location to the many attractions that our multicultural and historic city has to offer.
Hollywood, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 14, 2013

As someone who has lived in NOLA, I know what it means to visit New Orleans. Most people will no doubt be perfectly content staying at some soulless corporate hotel in the Central Business District, but when I come back to visit NOLA, I want to immerse myself in a wholly distinct experience that only the Crescent City can offer.

The weekend that I stayed was not a busy one in New Orleans. No festivals or Superbowls. So I got to enjoy the fine amenities the B&B had on tap. I was immediately impressed with the great care that was taken in my room's decor, called "The Asia Suite". Ample space, a day room, balcony access and a really cool vintage shower. I felt like I was enjoying NOLA the same way someone would have in the 1940s, but with all the expected contemporary creature comforts: A/C and Heater, HDTV and excellent Wi-fi service.

The neighborhood itself could not be more perfectly situated. It's on Esplanade, walking distance from the Quarter, and one bus away from Bayou St. John with the New Orleans Museum of Art and other fun things in Mid-City. I've read other reviews that say the area is intimidating. Maybe they came to New Orleans and were shocked to find that black people live here? Seriously, it's only intimidating if you've lived in Beverly Hills your whole life. If you want that fabricated Disney-feel, I'm sure there's a Marriott in Metairie that will gladly take your business.

Then there was the warm atmosphere of the B&B experience, and the caretakers know how to do it well. Food to die for, top-notch service, and great conversation with the staff and the other guests.

Truly a home away from home.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with the Asia Suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
PeterNeu, Owner at Five Continents Inn, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thanks for writing. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here at our B&B. You clearly have a passion for our city. Thanks for expressing it so eloquently.

New Orleans is indeed a unique city and culture. We try to reflect that here at the Five Continents. Our location on Esplanade Avenue, where the old French Creole aristocracy built their beautiful homes in mid to late 1800s, is indeed an ideal place to experience the city. Always an ethnically diverse and complex city, New Orleans does contrast significantly from all other American urban areas. This is, of course, the source of the enormous creativity we have always had here in terms of music, architecture, art, the many colorful street spectacles such as parades and second lines, and in many other areas of creative endeavor. Here on Esplanade, we are very much in the midst of this historical and creative mix.

We hope to see you soon again in New Orleans and here at the Five Continents.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We've been to New Orleans many times and thought that this time we'd try a Bed and Breakfast. The host was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Asian Suite which has a beautifully decorated bedroom with a very comfortable bed. The sitting room is bright and cheery. The pull-out sofa is convenient as we had another couple join us for one night. If they had been there longer it would have been better to stay in the neighboring suite which has to full beds and looked really cool. Anyway, the Asian Suite has a balcony in the back and access to the enclosed parking area which was very convenient. You certainly don't get that at a hotel.

The best part was the breakfasts. They actually have a printed menu which is also on their website!! Between the two of us, we made a point to try each of items over the four days we there. Everything was excellent. My favorite was the French Toast with the carmelized fruit on top, which was amazing. My wife loved the Eggs Sardue. Peter makes everything from scratch every morning. Even the little fruit dish at the start of breakfast was special. The breakfasts alone were worth the stay.

The house is really cool and very well kept up. You felt like you stepped into an old New Orleans movie set.

I loved the location. Perfect for going to Quarter on foot which we did each day, and the bus was perfect to get the Art Museum and even to the Garden District.

We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to New Orleans.

Room Tip: The Asian Suite was perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing and for staying with us. The Five Continents is indeed convenient to many places in our city. Glad you enjoyed the breakfasts. It is always a pleasure to cook for such and appreciative audience. We hope you come back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Elysian Fields Inn
Elysian Fields Inn
#5 of 140 in New Orleans

Been to Five Continents Inn? Share your experiences!