India House Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Le Petit Motel(New Orleans)
View Hotel
Lucky Inn Hotel(New Orleans)
View Hotel
Sweet's Inn Motel(New Orleans)
Capri Motel(New Orleans)
  • Restaurant
The Treme Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Pool
B on Canal(New Orleans)
  • Fitness center
All reviewscommon areasbooked a private roomchickie wah wahtram stoplarge kitchenswimming poolown bathroommid cityfrench quarterthe main housecanal streetlounge areaswamp tourmardi grasbourbon stjazz festnola
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Was a 10 min drive from Greyhound bus station. Got there and it just looked like a house from the outside but as soon as you walk in theres people chillin everywhere and its got lots of pics up everywhere. Living room with lots of sofas and tv and internet, $1 for 10 mins I think but it had wifi everywhere aswell so didnt need to use that. big kitchen and outside it had tables and a pool and a bbq and fridges outside to store alcohol in.

Staff were really nice and friendly! There was 4 of us travelling and we were in a 12 bedroom mixed dorm. Rooms had a/c, lockers and buck beds. Very clean, a cleaner came in everyday and brushed floor and cleaned all the bathrooms.

At night everyone sat around outside and everyone was really friendly, we ended up all going out in a big crowd to Bourbon St! There was a streetcar stop just beside the hostel and it only cost $1.25 to get into the city centre and it left you on Bourbon St because it was far to walk from hostel. Taxis were $12. Streetcars ran to 4am.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I'm shocked at how many bad reviews India House has gotten. I stayed here with my boyfriend in late September for 2 nights and we ended up extending another night. If you compare it, for example, to the HI hostels around America, it is comparatively a little on the messy side. But it's is definitely not unhygienic. We stayed in both the private rooms and the dorm rooms. The private was clean and had A/C, albeit it was small, but you're staying at a HOSTEL in New Orleans! Why do you want to stay cooped up in your room anyway? The dorm rooms were plain and simply, yet clean. It is definitely a social hostel, if you want to go to bed at 7 pm and your main interest is BIRD watching or something and you are above the age of 30, you will probably hate this place. However, if you are young, looking to meet some other travelers then this is the place for you.

Finally,
This place is NOT dirty by my standards, and I am the kind of girl that likes clean sheets and hot showers. I got both.
This place is not just for the "cool kids" whatever that means, the owners are just really laid back and easy going, it's part of the charm. I never felt awkward, people were welcoming.
This is not some area where everyone just gets drunk and loud and obnoxious, it's the opposite, it's super mellow with live music at night, everynight.
They have $5 gumbo nights! and they serve really yummy cheap breakfast until 1 pm.
There is a SWIMMING POOL. Try getting that somewhere else for $17 a night!!

The one thing that I would say against the hostel, is that it is in a pretty bad area. I don't think that I would feel safe to walk the streets alone as a girl. The area was badly hit by Katrina, and there are derelict buildings around. You don't feel threatened, but you have to be aware that it is a fairly poor district and that there are opportunists (like everywhere) and some crackheads. I felt fine walking around with my boyfriend late though. However, the hostel is literally a 20 second walk to the streetcar, which I was told were the safer option than walking, though they stop service at 2 am. During the day, it's totally fine. Contrary to some other reviews, there are places to eat just up Canal street like 5 or 6 blocks, italian, mexican, chinese, the lot. And plenty of bars.

Finally, even though the amenities were fairly plain and it was a crappy neighborhood, the place totally makes up for it in character. Its an old building which is full of relics from past travelers and pictures and beautiful artwork and murals. You get FREE WIFI everywhere, and there's an awesome TV if you're feeling lazy. The kitchen is clean and lots of people cook at night, and it's an awesome vibe.

PLUS, you can have a nice cold beer - something you can't have at any HI hostel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2010

a very nice place for backpackers and young traveler. very nice people, a little bit messy, close to the main street of the town. very cheap

Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2010

This hostel thinks its cool and edgy cos its in a bad part of town - its not. Its dirty with flies everywhere and I stayed in a dorm out the back which was basically a shed. You can't use the pool because the long-termers here (you immediately notice them in the dorms as they've literally set up camp) have formed some kind of group which gives you evil looks if you go near it. Same with the TV room. Maybe it's changed now. but that definitely was a huge problem with this place when I stayed.

However, I was recommended this hostel by an 18yr-old, so maybe its for a certain generation with no standards.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cpheonix
Reviewed June 30, 2010

First off, I'd like to say that I have done a lot of backpacking in my life and stayed in a ton of different hostels and guest houses including in Asia. So I get it, a hostel is not a hotel. But I just can't deal with dirty sheets, dirty rooms and dirty showers anymore, so that's the main reason I wouldn't ever stay at India House again. Plus the staff wasn't al that friendly, despite the reviews I have erad. I was in NOLA to volunteer with Habitat for a few days and then do some site seeing during the rest of my stay. All I needed was a bed and a nice shower after working long hours in the blistering heat. Everyone else was there to party, I get that too, although people hanging out in front of the TV, when you're in a place like NOLA, that, I don't get, so was not really impressed by the type of people who stayed there. The last thing I want to say is when I checked in on a Tuesday, I saw a sign for the Maple leaf bar and Rebirth Brass Band and asked the lady who checked me in for directions and her answer was "no, we have a jungle juice party here tonight. It will be better." Well excuse me but Rebirth is one of the BEST bands out there and my recommendation is, don't listen to the staff for music recommendations, by all means! All they want is for you to spend your money at their house parties. It's NEW ORLEANS for heaven's sake! Don't spend your time partying at a hostel, go out and see the best musicians in the world.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo