“Roaches, Trash & Dirty Sheets”
Review of India House Hostel

India House Hostel
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was not a good experience! When we arrived at the hostel by car, I noticed that the neighborhood was looking a little sketchy, but I am an experienced traveler and have definitely been in worse places. I just assumed it was some New Orleans charm. I booked a double bed with a shared bathroom for me and my girlfriend. When we arrived at the hostel, I was told that we were "upgraded". So far, so good. Then the woman working the desk gave us a nice tour of the place, and was friendly. The typical hostel type of stuff was there: people hanging out in the lounge area on their laptops and some watching TV, some community showers and toilets, a communal kitchen. Then, when we arrived at our "upgraded" room. There were two bunk beds, with one of the bunks on the bottom being a double sized bed. All four of the beds in this room looked as if they had just been slept in. There was some one else's hair and crumbs on our sheets. The trash bin in the room was literally overflowing with garbage. The state of the room made it unclear to my girlfriend and me if someone else was staying there. Then we decided to put our stuff back in my car and we went into the city of New Orleans. Upon returning to the room around 11pm, we sat on the bed, lamenting our decision to stay in this hostel because the room was still a mess. As we were talking, a COCKROACH ran across the floor between us! That was it. We literally packed up our things immediately, went to the front desk and calmly told the man working there the problem. He was very professional and immediately gave us back our money and apologized. I think he realized there was no point in trying to convince us to change rooms. We ended up driving 40 minutes in the middle of the night out of New Orleans to get a room at a motel. It was more expensive, but well worth the peace of mind. If you want to stay in New Orleans and want a decent place to spend the night(s), spend the extra money and get a proper hotel room. This place was a joke!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Jman8673

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hostel was recommended to me in Nashville, upon arrival in New Orleans however it was fully booked, And with good reason. I stayed in another hostel, which was quite frankly horrible until after 3 nights there was an opening. Upon arrival I immediatelly understood why it was fully booked; i have never seen such a vibrant hostel. The India House lives and breaths New Orleans and although you might get a better room in a hotel you shall not have as much fun. The staff is amazingly helpfull and also wonderful to hang out with and the hostel is relatively clean.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When we booked our room here we did know that it was a party hostel and not that amazing, but upon arriving after midnight, which I had informed in advance that we would be arriving late, the room we had reserved had been given to someone else and we were then taken to a room for that night which we would change to the room we were meant to be in the next day, upon arriving at the room there were already people staying in that room... It took over 40 minutes to find a room for us, and when we arrived in the room it was full of mosquitoes and the smell of bleach was overpowering...
This really wasn't the place for us, but if you are into drinking and meeting new people this is definitely the place for you. Do not expect anything with the rooms, they are dirty and only for sleeping in... We ended up leaving after our first night as it was not for us...

Room Tip: Take some bug spray as rooms are filled with mosquitoes!!! Also take some towels, we had to pay $5 f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night in July, solo female traveler. Both people I met at the front desk were nice and I was given a tour when I checked in. I was told that pool hours are strictly enforced but there were still people out there in the very early morning hours. The pool and outside bar area are nice, lots of people out there. The TV room also seemed nice, although it was full of men watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians! Several refrigerators in the kitchen and a separate one outside for beer seemed useful, although I didn't need either. I found two bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs--there may be more. Bowls of condoms in both were a nice touch, since a majority of the crowd does seem like it might subscribe to the Free Love philosophy.
I had booked a room in a female dormitory of 8 beds and the first one she tried to put me in was full, but the next was free. It was nice enough, painted walls and sets of bunk beds. I was nice enough to go outside to talk on the phone but one of my roommates talked for HOURS under her blanket late into the night and I felt quite a bit of rage toward her. Someone else's cellphone went off several times in the middle of the night and woke everyone up. It isn't management's fault but I wish people would be a little more respectful of others in that kind of setting. Still though, for $20 it was great! Got my own key to the room and felt comfortable around the other guests. House was about half a block down from the streetcar stop and I used it by myself around 11:30 at night and felt fine, although I would have been more worried if there weren't more India House people getting off too. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here just after Mardi Gras, it is a little out of the core of the french quarter, but the canal line was just a couple steps away. I have stayed a lots of hostels and this maybe one of thee best meet lots of people while staying there... as for the partying yes there was a fair bit, but there was also a plump german man trying to keep it under control. I would recommend this for any solo travelers, couples, friends... I was the only one out of the group who had been to hostels before and I think the other 3 loved it more then I did... totally eclectic little gem

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Normally I like to stay in hotels but because we went in April, accommodation options were scarce. We opted for India House and had no regrets! Hostels are a great way to meet people. We made some friends that we travelled with.

Receptionists were very helpful and budget-minded, giving advice that was value-first. Kinda grungy, and the cat that lived there was filthy and had matted fur, but it was clean for the most part. First time ever killing a cockroach.

We stayed in a private room with 2 bunks and then in a 6-bed female-only room. The private room was much better but it was unfortunately only available for one night.

I would definitely recommend staying here if you're on a tight budget. It's a great way to meet people. They also recommended an excellent swamp tour by Cajun Encounters that picks you up from the hostel.

Room Tip: Private rooms = hostel experience where you meet people but hotel-like feel where you can shower in...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I don't see why so many people hate this place- it is pleasant enough even if it is miles away from the French Quarter and has distinctly average dorms- they were only 15 dollars a night for crying out loud!

The patio has a sort of bar thingy, a pool, a nice pond with carp swimming around and a pretty nice decked area with sun loungers. I was there in January 2010 so it was a bit chilly but certainly not unpleasant in the dorm.

The dorm is a shed, yes, but it isn't that unclean and it didn't have bed bugs or anything nasty like roaches and it had WIFI. Ok for 15 dollars. It did have one guy who lived there in the dorm, he had his bed set up like a little camp-site and told me he'd lived there for 2 years(!!!). I found this quite odd but he seemed nice enough. The staff were ok with me, the lady was very nice all the time and was always around, I'm not sure which were the obnoxious staff people are mentioning but I didn't think they were that bad. The bathrooms are adequate I guess and the laundry facilities are fine as is the kitchen- even if the people who live there hog it a bit. They made a nice cooked breakfast for 5 dollars, had BBQs and reasonably priced beers for sale sometimes although there was a cool BYOB attitude at the 'bar'.

Criticisms- ok, it isn't the most fancy place ever and if you are fussy you will find it dirty- it was fine for me. They had free condoms available which is a good thing in my eyes but it does give you an idea of the sort of clientel this place attracts! The area is horrble- it is way out in the ghetto some 2 miles from the main part of town. Sure, the tram goes right by but it isn't a nice journey to make at night (or in the day for that matter). Solo female travellers should get a cab...and make sure it is a proper one because some dodgy taxis hang around outside the bus station and airport! It is a party hostel but I didn't find it too much and there are always people who want to head to the FQ to party so it is fun if you want to enjoy the nightlife- you can always split a cab between you.

Good, cheap place to enjoy a great city if you aren't fussy.

Room Tip: The dorm is fine, just don't expect much and you'll like it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo