“casino poor, hotel terrific, restaurant horrible”

Harrah's New Orleans
Ranked #5 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
missouri
“casino poor, hotel terrific, restaurant horrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

The casino was dirty, the staff rude, & 1/2 the machines were broken.
The hotel was clean, the staff pleasant, and the room was very nice.
John Besh Restaurant in the Casino was HORRIBLE!!! The glasses were dirty, the cuts of meat well below average, and the experience was BAD!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
mymorgan2008
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

My wife and I were comped three nights we booked it over the phone however, when we arrived we found out our three nights were in THREE DIFFERENT HOTELS! Every morning we had to check out of a room load the bags in the car and then check in later in the day. Hotel one was doubletree very small rooms but friendly staff. Hotel two was Harrah's room was nice as well as hotel staff. Hotel three was Hilton Riverside first room was wrong bed type, second room had broken ac/heater, third room was small as were all the others but comfy. I will only go back if I stay in the Harrah's rooms for my whole trip. Food at casino buffet was average, the Besh Steakhouse was good however very expensive.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mymorgan2008
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

Harrah's actually has information in their rooms for how to order your own mattress like theirs -- they must get lots of inquiries! The beds were amazing and that just topped off a very nice stay in a very nice hotel. The staff was great, the location was great, and we had no complaints.

The only thing I would say is that I wouldn't have paid $400 a night to stay there. Because we were there for a tournament in the casino, our rooms were comped, but if we had been paying the regular $400 rate I would have felt that it was a over-priced. It was a wonderful stay, but not $400 of wonderful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank HowdyDudes
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

This was our fifth trip to NOLA to say at Harrahs. Our previous trips always went fairly well. The rooms are luxury rooms with great amenities. The hotel staff have benn accomadating when we asked for a room close to the elevator and good views.

The food court is not the best. Very expensive and food is mediocre. We ate twice at the steak house in the casino and both times I got sick, second time with severe vomiting. Won't eat there again!!

In out other stays the casino was ok. Some of my favorite machines from previous visits were gone and replaced with newer, tighter machines. On our last stay I had a ticket for $490 that I was trying to cash at the redemption center. It wouldn't cash the ticket and I went to the cashier cage. There I was told that the ticket had already been cashed and there was nothing they could do for me. I asked to speak to the supervisor and was told the same thing. I kept going up the chain and was then told that the ticket had been played out on a machine. (How would I have had the ticket if that had happened???) I kept at it because I had not cashed the ticket or played it out and felt like they were trying to rip me off. I kept asking to speak to someone higher and for them to pull their security tapes, zoom in on the machine they thought I had played the ticket out on. Finally, after about an hour and half later, the manager on duty of the casino agreed to pay out the ticket, this time the excuse was that the slot machine sent the wrong message to the computer. Overall this whole incident was very upsetting. I decided at that time that I would not be a repeat customer at NOLA again. The staff at the casino cage were uncaring and rude. We drove 8 hours to play and stay at NOLA. We have since picked several other casino chains as our NEW casino of choice to play at. NOLA will not see us again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
louisville, ky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

This would never be my first choice for a gaming location. The good news is there are plenty of other things to do in New Orleans. We were just there -- and over the course of four days we did not see ANYONE hit ANY handpaid jackpots. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

We went to FairGrounds for the races and hit their slots - we came out ahead there.

Hotel is nice. NO POOL OR SPA however, which is a shame. Esp. with NOLA's hot, humid weather. Pool time would be good to have.

Buffet was good. Diamond Lounge merely okay. No 7 stars lounge.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank pelicannut
Long Beach, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

I stayed at Harrahs with my aunt, and we got a great deal mainly because of her rewards points from other Harrahs casinos. The hotel room was very comfortable and it was very easy to get to the casino from the hotels. The casino was not the most impressive casino, but it wasnt bad. The Hotel is located right by Canal Street on the edge of the French Quarter. Not so great for walking back at night, but definatly a decent location. IT is a large hotel, which is unlike most of hte hotels you will find in the French Quarter. While it is not a budget hotel, if you are able to it is definatly a good place to stay while inn NOLA. IF you are driving, parking was very expensive. One drawback is that there is no swimming pool..as our stay was in July..that would have been a nice bonus.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank megd80
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

I loved the hotel staff for the most part. They were wonderful. They remembered my name after the check-in throughout my stay. They were very accomodating and gracious. We were there for 4 days Feb 26-Mar 1 2009. The room was a comp that my friends received because of their status as casino players. I hadn't gambled in 8 years. So I took along $1300.00 of which I earned a WHOPPING GRAND TOTAL OF $5.00 In rewards!!!! The room itself was very nice, it had a built in media/closet and a safe box which was handy. The hallways were littered with trays for days. It would take ALL day long for them to be removed (that is just plain GROSS!) The housekeeping lady was sitting on the floor at 9am or so when I passed her, I came back around 10:15.........STILL SITTING THERE ON HER CELL PHONE BLABBING! Even if she was on break, it should have been done OUT of view! Oh and if you don't turn on your light you wont get your room cleaned and even if you do, you had best plan on being gone a LONG time. I came back 4 times during the day, finally I told the young lady to just refresh my towels and to take the food tray ( she placed it in the hallway where it sat for 15 hours.)
There were a few problems, had I not visited my friends room next door I wouldn't have KNOWN that I wasn't given the duvet comforter (which would have been nice.) My door broke the 2nd night we were there, the return arm fell. Thank God it didn't fall on ME! It weighed about 25 lbs and was dangerous!

The casino had very expensive dining. The Casino eateries SUCK! Bambu should be named Shamu. Was some of the WORST food ever created. The buffett is GROSS and institutional.

The Hotel has a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, that was fabulous, across the way is Gordon Biersch, it was also absolutely fabulous and the food was amazing. Highly recommend both of these. Also Adelaide's at Loew's Hotel was some of the best food I have EVER had in my life.

All in all the hotel was OK........the staff beyond housekeeping was great, but the Casino was the WORST. I expect to LOSE $..........just not so damn fast! It wasn't even fun! There were thugs EVERYWHERE and the security is scary.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends