“Harrahs New Orleans - March 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Harrah's Hotel New Orleans
Ranked #8 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Akron, Ohio, United States
“Harrahs New Orleans - March 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

So much to do in New Orleans – been there twice ant got to go back to finish seeing it all.
Harrahs Hotel is perfectly located just a short walk to the river or to the French Quarter – take your pick and just start walking…

We booked our 4 night trip that included air fare from Cleveland through Casino Sales agency. They handled everything including limo between airport and casino/hotel.

Canal street is a modern commercial strip just outside the casino door with shopping venues ranging from variety drug stores to Neman Marcus. So if shopping is your thing, it is all there. But there is so much more, every type of eatery, so if dining is your pleasure you can definitely indulge. My personal preference is to walk this historical city. There is so much to see and so little time. And the weather there is great in March.

There is a beautiful alley between the Hotel and the casino. The casino is very large and has a wide variety of games.

The hotel rooms are very nice comparable to Las Vegas Flamingo Go-rooms furnished with all needed amenities including oversize tub, separate shower, toilet room, flat screen TV, coffee pot, refrigerator and safe. Our room, #701, was very nice with fridge, safe, coffee maker, oversize tub, separate shower, commode room, hair dryer, make-up mirror, extra towels, extra pillows and a view of the city and the river. The room was always cleaned and made up when we returned after leaving for breakfast.

The locals are the friendliest folks I have ever encountered. If you want to know anything, just ask someone. Everyone has a story to tell.

Besh Steakhouse, inside the Harrahs Casino, offers excellent food for a fare price compared to other similar high-end restaurants. Wife had a fillet and I the strip; both come with potato and vegetable. The scalloped potatoes were served under the fillet and were a bit on the bland side. The fries served with the strip are to die for; don’t know how they prepare them but they are special. Both steaks were great but too much to eat so we took our boxed leftovers to our room for a late night snack. Note that you can get the fries with the fillet if you ask; the potato and sides shown on the menu are the chef's suggestion but order whatever you wish with your entree.

We booked a car over the internet for a day so we would have a chance to see the countryside thinking the $38 car rental fee would be worth spending. The Hertz agency was a 15 minute walk from the casino up Convention Center Blvd. When I booked on-line Hertz said to call for pick-up but when I called the agent said they had no drivers. The staff was not friendly there. I will look elsewhere for a car should I decide to rent again. Note that 24 hour parking is free at Harrah's for only Diamond and Seven Star members who gamble for 30 minutes or more.

The Diamond Lounge for Diamond and Seven Star members serves excellent tomato bisque soup with tomato bacon sandwich, a shrimp cocktail with a tasty special cocktail sauce, top shelf drinks and other menu items, all complementary. They have initiated a policy here of limiting visits to the Diamond Lounge to four per day or two per couple per day, I guess some folks must have been abusing the system.

The casino is large and glitzy as a casino should be. Every type of slot and table game is available there. The best video poker I could find was 8/5 JOB but there are a lot of them and I hit two RF in two days so no casino complaints here. I had a mail offer for $115 free play that they broke down into $20, $10 and $5 certificates for me at the casino cage plus I had a coupon for $50 for food that we used at Besh Steakhouse. While playing, a slot host asked me if I could use a comp to the buffet for me and a guest which she brought back about 15 minutes later. Thank goodness I was winning on the machine I was playing, but she said that they would have found me from my player card as long as I was playing somewhere. (Note that others in our group went to total rewards and were also given buffet comps just for asking). While at Total Rewards they told me that if I would be there on Saturday, since it was my birthday, that I could spin for a gift, which I did and won a $125 certificate to Besh Steakhouse that we used Sunday night. Both meals at Besh were fabulous!

The only disappointment was breakfast at the buffet. The food was good if you could get it. Seemed like they were short on help as we had to wait for food to be put out and there was only one person making omelets resulting in a very long wait.Very frustrating even though the meal had been comped.

Famous Mother's is just 2 blocks away and famous I guess only because it is old but an old dumpy place you will probably want to say you ate at where you wait in line outside to eventually get inside to order at the counter and pay way too much for sub-par food.

Breakfast at Cafe Adelaide in the hotel directly across the street was great, however. Breakfast for two was $27 and was excellent, complete with fancy southern decor, linens on tables and wait staff to match (note that the breakfast buffet at Harrahs is now $15.99 each).

The best buy in New Orleans has got to be the $3 all day trolley pass. Just get on with exact change at the stop just outside the hotel, get your pass from the driver and you are set for 24 hours of slow nostalgic travel. We took the route to the flea market in the French Quarter. There are multiple things to see in the French Quarter but in my opinion the flea market is just a tourist trap. Shop inside some of many storefronts instead and don't miss the Hurricane drink at Pat O'Brian's piano bar and some goodies at Cafe D'Monte. We had planned to use our trolley pass later in the day to tour the mansions on Saint Charles Avenue but by the time we got out of the Harrah's Diamond Lounge it was almost dark so we stayed in the casino instead. Note that the French Quarter is a pleasant walk from Harrahs but why not make it more fun by sitting near the front of the trolly and watching the antics of its operator. Make sure you don't miss the "entertainers" around the Jackson Square area of the French Quarter and the nearby museum with the boat in front that saved many lives during Hurricane Katrina.

Trolly stops are just outside the casino and you can catch a river boat or the ferry boat walking across the street to the Mississippi River. Standing on the levy it is easy to see how everything might flood if the river ever over-tops the levy.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did and I definitely give Harrahs my recommendation as a great place to stay and gamble during your visit. Harrahs is not for kids however so if traveling with children I recommend you consider a different place. In fact, I did not find much that kids would enjoy in New Orleans unless they enjoy shopping, historical sites and fine restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank BA B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was looking forward to staying here as my in-laws had stayed here for 3 years in a row and loved it. The room was nice and clean, the bathroom was nice with a tub and seperate shower. The bed was comfortable and had plently of pillows. It was great having a fridge in the room as well. The negatives were that while the staff was nice, housekeeping did not come until 5pm every night, and that was usually when we were getting ready to go out, so we would raid the maid carts in the hall for extra towels and they would clean during turn down service. Not a huge deal, but park of the perks of staying to a hotel is a nice clean room to come back to! The last day and night we were there, loud music (mostly thumping bass) came from the room next door. We listened to it all day, but when it came to sleep we could not. I called the front desk and they sent up security fast, however he said it would not a loud party and walked away. It was not a loud party, but it was loud enough to disturb sleep, my husband tried to have him come in our room to listen as it was louder in the room and he left. I called down again and they said there were people staying in the room but she didn't know if they were allowed to go in the room if no one answered, sorta strange as they do housekeeping...but they finally sent someone else up and realized no one was in there and turned off the music. We had no problems after that, but I was not impressed with the security guard but glad it was handeled. Otherwise a short walk to the french quarter and easy access to the casino.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BostonBocagrl
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

from start to finish our stay at the hotel was great. all the employees were cordial and helpful. we used the concierge(robert), who gave us so much info on what we needed for our day to the plantations.
we ate at besh steakhouse and had delicious food. we also ate at the buffet for breakfast one day and it wasn't too bad. it was decent.
we gambled, but didn't win, nor lose too much. it was still a lot of fun! lot's of casino games to choose from.
Easy walk to the french quarter, which was nice since harrah's is perfectly situated just outside the quarter.
we will definitely come back to stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdyblue5
Pinehurst, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Really there is no place more friendly on earth than New Orleans, and the Harrahs employees are simply fantastic. Always greeting you, anxious to help. We had a great suite on the 21st floor with beautiful view of the river, fantastic food at John Besh, Ruth Chris and Grand Isle, and a wonderful time in the casino.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river, the higher the better.
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luckypenny13
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Amazing I arrived to New Orleans at 2:00 AM, tired and drained. The hotel advised that my room was not available so he upgraded me to the Penthouse suite. The room was awesome, chandeliers, marble floors, and the massive windows. What a great gesture to end the night in a plush bed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LauraSunrise
Cary, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I recently went on a business trip to New Orleans. I stayed one night at the Harrah's as it was convenient to my conference and I wanted to do some gambling. Upon check in (I had booked a Luxury 1 King bed room) I was given a two double bed room. Upon showing the front desk my RESERVATION for a King, I was told they didn't have any king bed rooms left. I thought the whole point of a reservation is to actually hold that room for me. I asked for a manager and was told the same thing. The King rooms go quickly and apparently they don't hold them for you. I stay in a bunch of hotels for business and the service was far below what many lesser priced hotels offer. They had a great chance to make things right by offering me something (discount, free chips in the casino, etc.) but nothing was ever offered for my inconvenience. The room was clean and nice but the service made this way over priced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Paul Y
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

No stone unturned. Just got back from Harrah"s as usual the staff are the utmost profeessionals . I love the location and I feel safe venturing out at night along Canal to shop and or dine . The trolley stop is just across the street . My room was as usual clean spacious and LOVE the fridge . Ordered room service one night the food was very good and came very fast . I only visit NOLA when I can stay at HARRAH'S

Room Tip: I wish they had a pool that is the only amenity that they are missing.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo