“The Quarter House courtyard is my new mental sanctuary!”

Quarter House Resort
Ranked #12 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Finally decided to "do" the Big Easy and went for six days, five nights on the weekend in BETWEEN the two big April festivals (The French Quarter Festival and the Jazz and Heritage Festival).

There is so much to do and see in New Orleans that a TripIt! itinerary was more than necessary. As you can probably tell from my previous reviews, I have a pretty consistent set of "asks" in a hotel: fridge and micro, wifi, pool and Jacuzzi. GOOD LUCK finding a pool and Jacuzzi in New Orleans in a hotel that is less than $200 a night! Well, after days of searching and getting frustrated, a friend told me about the Quarter House...and that friend is going to be getting flowers next week!

Until my friend suggested it, I would never have thought to look at a timeshare property for this trip. In general, I am easily amused and am a raving fan of the LaQuinta hotel chain--but for this vacation, I wanted a deeper sense of PLACE. I wanted to look around and know I was in the French Quarter. The Quarter House fit the bill to a "T."

Located at the very edge of the Quarter at Canal St. and Chartres, the hotel is still close enough to see pretty much anything you want and most everything is within about a ten block radius in any direction. It's situated about a block from the famous Hotel Monteleone (the most haunted hotel in New Orleans and perhaps America). Quarter House is located in an old structure built in the 1830s and they have managed to retain so much of the original charm, with exposed brick walls...but they have updated in a way that you have access to every modern convenience. Full kitchen, flat screen TVs, even an elevator (which is great if you can't handle a lot of stairs) and they do offer wifi, although I have to say that one of only three complaints I have about the place is that the WiFi was VERY spotty...thank the gods for my Android phone!. My second nit about the stay was our checkout time: a ridiculously-early 10am, which I begged and got extended to 10:30. Third, the drain in our shower didn't go down fast enough--I HATE standing in backed-up water!--but the double adjustable showerhead was a real treat.

All the rooms here are a little different. We stayed in room 101, which meant we gave up having a washer and dryer in the room and a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom...but in exchange, we got lovely dark wood French doors that opened RIGHT out onto the courtyard. The pool and Jacuzzi were literally three steps from our door! Another surprise was the daily maid service, which you really don't see at most timeshare properties.

As much as I love ghost stories, I didn't want to become part of one, and it's very difficult finding a hotel in Nola without SOME activity that has been reported. The closest we came to hearing disembodied voices was having to get a little snitty with the couple who decided the courtyard table RIGHT NEXT to our back door was the ideal place for a rendezvous at 3am! (The hotel says the pool are closes at 10pm, but this doesn't seem to be rigidly enforced, if at all.)

The neighborhood around the hotel was a little sketch, but then again so is most of the Quarter. We packed pepper spray in our checked bag and a couple of times I was glad I had it, though luckily I never had to actually whip it out! There are a lot of "gentlemen's clubs" in the Quarter that no true gentleman would ever set foot in, and there was an adult novelty store just a couple doors down (though we did visit it and not only was it clean and well-stocked, but the girl at the counter was wholesome and friendly).

There are quite a few good restaurants in the area. Best of all was Daisy Duke's, an authentic Nola eatery with pretty good fare and rock-bottom prices (breakfast before 9am runs just $2.99-$3.99; $8 will get you a VERY spicy Bloody Mary with free refills; be sure to check restaurant.com for their certificates!). We also checked out Evelyn's Place on the same block, a tony little bar with cheap drinks and good basic grub. The best restaurant by far during our trip was the Star Steak and Lobster House (another restaurant.com find), where our waiter was Johnny-on-the-spot and there are murals from Streetcar Named Desire and a cool brass and keyboard section to entertain.

There was so much good food that we didn't end up cooking much in the room other than nuking leftovers, but I have to say it's really hard to find a grocery store in this town if you don't have a car. We went to a little store on Canal Street (I think it was called the Everything Market). It had more like 7-11 prices for staples like milk and Vitamin Water. That was where I bought the cheapest bottle of wine during the trip--$10 and definitely not the best quality, more like the big bottle with the screw on top!--but in a town where you can drink walking down the street, you've got to have a stash in the fridge if you don't want to spend $10 per GLASS!

There were a lot of freebies connected with staying at the Quarter House. We had a wine and cheese hour from 5-6pm one evening in the courtyard; on Sunday morning, they had a champagne breakfast out there. We didn't avail ourselves of it as we had other tours booked, but they do offer a free French Quarter walking tour. There is also a Creole/Cajun cooking class at Cafe Giovanni round the corner which we did attend. Unfortunately, we were rather disappointed when it turned out the "class" was more like a demonstration and the chef spent the entire time talking about himself instead of about food. We ended up leaving and going elsewhere to eat, forfeiting the $5 fee that was supposed to include lunch (which, halfway through the class, we'd only gotten a small bowl of shrimp and grits which was "just OK," nothing to write home about). One other note is that the concierge desk at the hotel was very helpful and willing to help you book activities. As far as tours went, we had already pre-planned and prepaid all of ours, so we didn't really need their services, but it was nice to know that was a possibility, and they were most efficient in helping us get pedicabs or taxis to pick us up.

I do have to point out that there were absolutely NO high-pressure sales tactics associated with the QH's identity as a timeshare; no ninety-minute presentation, no pitch during the wine and cheese social. There was a very chatty but polite gal named Betty that gave us some basic information, but we didn't feel like we were in thumbscrews or anything.

Another item to note is that this hotel DOES allow smoking pretty much everywhere on the property except the lobby and indoor common areas, so if this offends you, look elsewhere. Our room upon entry did NOT reek and they do a pretty good job of controlling any associated smells, but just pointing out that this is night and day if you're used to, say, California customs about lighting up.

By far the crowning jewel of the hotel was the courtyard. After checking out, we left our luggage with the QH baggage department and wandered around a bit until time to head to the airport...and the folks at QH were nice enough to let us wait in the courtyard for the taxi that was coming to pick us up. I feel like they had to drag me kicking and screaming and clawing to the edge of that Jacuzzi!! The photos don't begin to do it justice. If I ever strike it rich, I'll be replicating that courtyard in my back yard!!

A couple of last general tips: the Quarter in general is NOT very disabled-friendly. The sidewalks are in terrible repair (we laughed at a plaque commemorating an improvement project that had taken place in 1984, 'cause I think that was the last time it was done!), not many curb cuts, missing chunks of brick loom everywhere and I can't imagine how many high-heel-plus-huge-gaping-hole-equals-twisted-ankle accidents there must be every NIGHT on Crazy Bourbon. Be sure you have a tolerance for the seamier side of things and are not easily offended by the smell of human waste wafting up from the gutter. Also, be aware that smoking is allowed in bars (but not restaurants that don't also have a bar) and most outdoor cafes.

Lastly, a couple of words about New Orleans activities: I highly recommend taking one of the city tours in the first day or two you're in Nola; we took a combo tour with Louisiana Tour Company, which, for $89 per person, included a plantation tour and a combo City/Katrina damage tour. The plantation was fabulous, the Katrina portion somber and moving; an all-day tour and well worth the ticket price. It gave us a great overview of the area and helped us decide what we wanted to spend time exploring further. The FQ Ghost tour from Haunted History was fun, although it moved a bit fast for those with challenges to walking fast and was not quite as "historical" as I'd hoped. The can't-miss attractions for us were the visit to Jackson Square and the Cabildo and Presbytere Museums (deeply discounted if you buy a ticket to both, and easy to see both in three or four hours), the cruise on the steamboat Natchez, and a horse-and-buggy ride through the Quarter on a small buggy dubbed the Pink Cadillac, pulled by trusty steed Elvis and hosted by a charming Englishwoman who lives in Tennessee Williams's old apartment!

Next to last autumn's trip to Mackinac Island, this is one of my favorite trips I have ever taken, and by staying at the Quarter House, I really felt like we got it right on the first try as far as accommodations went. I will be back someday...I have to see my courtyard again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank EuterpeThelo

Reviewed April 21, 2012

My wife and I just got back from Spring break in New Orleans. We did a timeshare exchange and stayed at the Quarter House. This is a very nice hotel/timeshare in the heart of the French Quarter. We had a first floor one bedroom unit with a full kitchen. The rooms and furnishings are very nice. The staff and guests were very friendly and accommodating. They serve a continental breakfast on Sunday and a wine and cheese tasting on Tuesday. Also, there is no one pressuring you to take a timeshare sales tour of the facility.

One thing to be prepared for when you stay here is the city noise. It is not a quiet resort on a secluded beach in the Caribbean. It is in downtown New Orleans, so you will get the sounds of the city in your room at night. You will hear sirens, pedestrian, and traffic noise.

Aside from that this is a great place to stay. When you check-in, make sure you sign up at the front desk for the Monday cooking demonstration at Cafe Giovanni. It is a local restaurant one block away. It's the best $5.00 per person deal in the French Quarter. Chef Duke prepares three excellent samples for you to taste. The Voodoo Shrimp is awesome and Chef Duke is very entertaining. We liked it so much we made reservations for dinner later in the week. It was expensive but well worth it. You're in new Orleans so you have to splurge at least once. Do it at Cafe Giovanni.

Some other tips while you are in New Orleans:

If you are staying in the French Quarter don't rent a car. It's not necessary. Parking and traffic are terrible. You can walk everywhere you need to go. Taxi fare from the airport to the French Quarter is a flat $33.00 plus tip.

Utilize the trolly lines. Go to any Walgreen's in New Orleans and get a 1-3 day pass for the trolley. It's $3.00 per day and you can get on and off all day. Otherwise it's $1.25 every time you get on and off.

If you're a drinker, buy a pack of red solo cups and your libation of choice at the convenience stores or liquor stores to keep in your room. You can walk around New Orleans with an open container (no bottles), and you will save a lot of money doing this.

There are very few public restrooms in the French Quarter. Learn where they are at. All of the bars and restaurants have signs posted that state "Restrooms Are For Customers Only".

Make sure you take the St. Charles St. (green line) trolley to the zoo and Garden District. It's well worth the trip. Beautiful homes and landscaping and the zoo is superb. If you go to the zoo there is a free shuttle from the trolley stop to the zoo and back. It runs about every 20 minutes. Other wise it's about a one mile walk to the zoo from the trolly stop.

Also, at the very end of the St. Charles St. line in a very nice deil-style restaurant called Le Madeleine. When you get off the trolley it will be on the right hand corner. It's a very nice place to have lunch and the food is good and the prices are reasonable. You won't be disappointed.

***Important*** Make sure before you go to New Orleans, you buy an Entertainment Book for New Orleans. It's $25.00 but you will get your money back if you use it wisely. We did the Natchez riverboat dinner cruise. It was $68.00 per person ($136.00). Using the coupon in the Entertainment Book we saved $34.00. The coupon is for 25% off up to four people. There are many other discounts in the book for restaurants and attractions that you will be able to use. The zoo is in the book too. Also, check out restaurant.com for offers that you may be able to use.

The French Quarter in New Orleans is a very nice place to visit and the Quarter House is an excellent place to stay while you are there. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor. That may minimize noise form the street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank mxh202
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I've stayed at the Quarter House twice and loved it both times. The 24hr reception staff is amazingly helpful, the rooms are gorgeously decorated with all modern amenities including full kitchen, and the included Sunday brunch, free walking tour, and Tuesday cocktail party are great bonuses. I stayed on a timeshare basis, assume most is the same for "hotel" accomodations. You might think the neighborhood a bit shady (24 hr sex shop in the same block) but come on - you are IN THE FRENCH QUARTER! It's right across from the Marriott and one block from Royal and Canal. I don't think there is any parking - in fact it's hard for a shuttle or a cab to pull up in front of the hotel - but the bellmen are on the sidewalk helping before the cabbie even stops the car. Free wifi and you can print a few pages free at the front desk if you need to. No food services that I am aware of but you have 100 restaurants with in a few blocks, next door is a 24hr restaurant. I forgot to mention this is one of the only timeshares I have seen in the U.S. that allows pets - a feature I have not yet taken advantage of.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank dmzg
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This was an amazing stay. The room we got blew us away. The feel was more like being in a home than a hotel. The decor was great and the lay out was unique. The location was awesome...just two blocks away from bourbon street, and a few blocks away from two malls and the river area. Canal street was less than a block away.
Next door there were at least two restaurants for some fast grub, and of course many more great restaurants on bourbon str.
I highly recommend this place. I will be back again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank payochi
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Staff was great. Location was fantastic. Building is about 200 years old; so there is only so much that can be done to make it look modern. Not the best for handicapped people; be SURE to ask for a room next to the elevator. Our room had a sticky floor, and could have been cleaner; but not awful. The outdoor pool is in a shaded courtyard, and is about the size of a bath tub; the outdoor spa can only fit two people. The room jacuzzi tub can really only fit one person. We would stay here again, even with these flaws, because the staff was so nice, and the location just can't be beat. Note: there is a $20 per day parking charge, and the garage is about 1.5 blocks away.

3  Thank zilphap
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We traded for a unit at the Quarter House through Interval International. We were very impressed and happy with the 2 bd 2 bath unit #231 we stayed in. The unit even had a washer/dryer which was a big plus when spending a week in New Orleans. Our unit was clean and the kitchen was stocked well with dishware, etc. We didn't spend much time in the unit so the kitchen wasn't high on our priority list. The a/c worked great the entire time we were there. Front desk staff and concierge were very friendly and always made good suggestions for dinner reservations and good music. Location is an added plus as you are two blocks from Canal St and Bourbon St. We are empty nesters and wanted a night away from Bourbon St, so we ventured to Frenchmen St to Snug Harbor and were very happy with the meal. Note: If you want to listen to their live music, they have two shows a night and you need to buy tickets in advance (they were sold out the night we were there). However, Frenchmen St has many venues for listening to local music and we stopped in at Maison, no cover charge, plenty of seating and good music. Of course, our favorite nightly late night stop was at the Cafe du Monde for beignets and chickory coffee! I am having withdrawals as I write this. We also made a daily late afternoon stop at the Cafe Beignet on Bourbon St to have beignets and listen to live music by Steamboat Willie and his band. Highly recommend you bring plenty of cash as most businesses do not take credit cards and ATM fees can be as high as $5.00 per transaction.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our Chartres St unit as the living area was on the street side and the bedroom was back a...
6  Thank suzyq821
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We just returned from our stay in New Orleans. The Quarter House is located on Chartres St ... about 1/2 block from Canal, a couple of blocks from Bourbon, walking distance to The French Market, Street Cars, Casino, and the entire French Quarter. It's not a 5-star facility, but it was perfect for our trip. The staff was very nice and helpful. We exchanged in through Interval and weren't bothered at all about buying options at The Quarter House which was very nice. We stayed in 432A (1 bedroom/2 bath lockout-4th floor facing Chartres). Considering the age of the building, we were pleasantly surprised with the room. It was clean enough and very spacious. The beds could be more comfortable, but other than that, we were very happy. We could hear some street noise from time to time, but nothing intolerable and our sleep was never interrupted. The courtyard w/pool and hot tub is small yet beautiful. The hot tub would hold no more than 2 people comfortably and the pool is a nice spot for a dip on a hot day-don't plan on swimming laps for your daily exercise! I'm not sure if it was our location in the hotel, but the "free high-speed" internet is not very reliable and the signal was always very low if we could pick it up at all. It's an amazing location and a charming facility; We look forward to returning to The Quarter House on future trips!

5  Thank BeckyLW