“Great French Quarter location, low cost, BUT...”

Andrew Jackson Hotel
Ranked #87 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
“Great French Quarter location, low cost, BUT...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

...you get what you pay for.

The smallest and most inexpensive rooms, the ones with two twin beds, are VERY small; e.g., no room for seating beyond the the two twin-sized beds and toilet. The small dresser/television stand and one nightstand/table were quite beat up and in need of replacement. Beds were soft, and very noisy when one moved around atop them. Wall sockets for electricity were so worn that plugs for devices fell out or nearly so; some sockets were inoperable. The toilet seat and lid attachment hardware was broken so that lifting both seat and lid together causes the entire assembly to come off. Carpets were so soiled that walking upon them in bare feet quickly produced visibly dirty feet.

Positive facets:
- The staff was very friendly and helpful (the owners should be grateful for them, and give them better appointed and maintained facilities and furniture to work with)
- The location was wonderfully central for touring the French Quarter on foot.
- Historical building.

In closing, I knew from reading previous reviews that the room I was reserving for me and my teenage son would be very small, and that the hotel's amenities were few. I was willing to accept that because I intended to spend very little time in the room, and rather spend days and evenings out and about in the French Quarter. Nonetheless, I expected a well-maintained room, with functional and aesthetically pleasing furniture and décor, and clean carpeting. Caveat emptor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Vickie P, Manager at Andrew Jackson Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We were sorry to learn that you were dissatisfied with your stay. Your feedback is important to us as we share it with our staff in striving to continue to improve the guest experience.The hotel is under new management and we are currently working on our renovation plans; new furniture and bedding have been ordered along with flat screen televisions. We're making some room configuration changes that would allow us to eliminate rooms with two twins beds. Carpeting is cleaned once a month at the Andrew Jackson, however, new carpet in most rooms is part of the renovation plans.
During this process we will start room by room to correct issues such as electrical outlets, bathroom plumbing, and lighting. As you can see from our reviews many of our guests have had positive experiences and for any who have not, every effort is being made to address those concerns as we progress.This hotel is a historic gem with a great location and loads of ambiance. As stated we are improving our product as quickly as possible but it is a process. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations. Should your travels bring you back to New Orleans, please give us another chance to show you true Southern Hospitality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We really wanted to stay in the French Quarter on our first trip to NOLA. This was a great way to stay in the FQ and get a great rate. It is an adorable and quaint hotel. It is VERY small. Our room had two double beds and the door would only open up half way due to hitting one bed. We didn't mind because of the location, price and historic appeal of the hotel. We had our Continental breakfast served in the garden which was a great way to start the day. The mattresses, carpets and paint need updating. Some at the front desk were helpful, others not as much. I'd love the owners to put some TLC into the rooms to entice us to return.

Hokes Bluff, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

My daughter and I decided to go on a spur of the moment trip to New Orleans. I called this hotel on the way down. Toby was super nice and patient, answering all of my questions. When we got there the place was charming and well kept. We loved our room. Everything was clean and we had everything we needed. They valet parked my car so I didn't have to worry about that. (its a little pricy but worth it not having to hassle with the streets). The hotel is one block from Bourbon St and a couple of blocks from the French Market, Jackson Square and River front. When We got ready to check out . Ms. Charlotte took care of us,, She is amazing!! Let us store our luggage so we could walk around a little more and very hospitable when we returned and waited for our car.. I had a great experience and this hotel will defiantly be the first one I call when I come back!! Thank you guys for making our trip that much more enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Melanie P
Gainesville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Very good price for the location. Breakfast is a croissant they bring in your room in the morning. Beware that if you tell them you want breakfast at X time, they will knock on your door at X time, and you and your party would be wise to be dressed and ready for company. The staff was all incredibly pleasant and took very good care of us. The furniture and fixtures are outdated, but very clean. If I could give one harsh critique it would be of the showerhead; they feel like sandblasters if you are too close and a mister if you are far away and have little water pressure. For the price I think it is a good deal, if management were to update fixtures they could command twice the price. If you are looking for modern appointments you will be disappointed, you get what you pay for here. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Laurie B
Interlaken, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is one of the cheaper places to stay in the French Quarter (you get what you pay for), but its location is superb. 2 minutes from Bourbon St, 5 minutes from Frenchman St, 4 minutes to Cafe Du Mond and the Mississippi etc etc. The staff are great, and their new breakfast service (in the courtyard or in your room is a winner). George, the server is very friendly, so don't be shy in asking for extra coffee and croissants (i did). Catherin at the front desk is your classic New Orleans lass, with lots of flair and southern charm. The court yard, complete with fountain, is a great place to unwind, either in the sun, or out of it. Stories of screaming children abound, but I slept like a baby. Let the good times roll...

Room Tip: I like the ground floor rooms, as the court yard is just there.
1 Thank Ralph S
New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Great if you're just using it as a place to sleep while touring NO - especially since it sits right in the French Quarter, close to everything. If you're looking for all the amenities such as pool, fitness room, etc., this isn't what you want. However, our continental breakfast was brought to our room on a silver tray with a red rose - classy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Somerset, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in March post Mardi Gras. On arrival, we found hairs on the bed, I called up the front desk and asked for a different room, I did not get it, instead two of the rudest women I have ever met came to the room door with their hands on their hips glaring at me and asking what the complaint was about. They huffed and puffed and changed the sheets.
The young woman at the front desk in the morning is rude the elderly gentleman with the squinty eyes in the evening was even more rude.
It just sucks there .... it is how I feel every-time I remember those two. UUgg...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family