“Great staff, great location, and pretty good room” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Andrew Jackson Hotel
Ranked #89 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Anamosa, Iowa
“Great staff, great location, and pretty good room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Andrew Jackson. Both times were good experiences for us. For the people who have complained about the staff, all I can say is: treat people how you would like to be treated. We have never had a problem with any staff members.

The location is great. Go out the door to the right and at the corner take a left to go to Harry's Bar -- cheap drinks and take a right to go to the Clover Grill -- good eats.

We will be back.

Room Tip: We have always stayed on the second floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MikeandCarrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Moline, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Andrew Jackson Hotel in October and really enjoyed our stay there. We were in a room by the canon and it was comfortable and quiet. All staff was pleasant and accommodating. Would stop and visit with desk clerks on a daily basis. Got some good advice on best places to eat at for certain items and must see places to tour. Was always greeted in a friendly manner. We loved the location! Just far enough from the noisy areas but close enough to anything we wanted to do. Very safe area. I would definitely stay there again as long as I could get a room on 1st level. The stairs were a little steep and long for me but we traded rooms with our friends and all were happy. The courtyard was quiet and pleasant. Met some very nice people there. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms toward back of hotel quieter than rooms facing the street. Courtyard rooms very quiet. Stairs...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allyson A
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here about a month ago and we had such a wonderful time in NOLA! This being my third time to the Big Easy, I really wanted to stay somewhere near Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (my favorite bar by far). This was the perfect location!

It's perfectly situated far enough from crazy Bourbon St. and we didn't have too much noise inteference, except for the Bachelorette party that came stumbling in one of the nights. Who could blame them? Other than that though, it was the perfect distance from the huge party scene, but perfectly walkable to it within 5 minutes if needed.

The only thing I feel I have to mention (not necessarily a bad thing) was the mysterious wake up occurence I experienced every night we were there. I usually sleep very well in hotels, but for some reason, I'd wake up around the same time every night. We also experienced tapping on our walls one of the nights and the distinct smell of freshly lit matches in the bathroom during one of the mornings. When we'd come back to the room, a few of the items on our side tables would be shuffled around a little well after the housekeeping hours had occured.

Other than these oddities, the only other thing I can mention is that the rooms are very small and quaint. For us, we didn't need too much room because we were rarely in the room anyways. It was just the right amount of space for us to come back to in order to recompose.

4 stars Andrew Jackson!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was in New Orleans September 21, 22, 23 and 24 for a wedding. The bridge and groom were staying nextdoor at the Cornstalk Hotel (BEAUTIFUL!!) so I wanted to be as close as possible but at a cheaper price.

My family and I booked 5 rooms at this 22 room hotel. The rooms all seemed dirty but doable.... except my room.

1. ROACHES... yes, my room had a giant 2" roach in it (not even exaggerating about the size). My boyfriend told the guy at the front desk, who said there were no other rooms available and that there was nothing he could do. He did not even apologize or offer any accomodations. He said "if you see it again, let me know and I will kill him." Sure enough, at about 1am, we saw it again. The front desk clerk came up to the room, stepped on the giant roach with his shoe, picked it up with a paper towel. He then LAUGHED and said "there you go! hahaha!" To which I replied in a VERY pissed off tone, "It is not funny." He then left the room. No sorry, nothing.
Oh and he left part of the roaches leg and some guts... that we had to clean up ourselves.

2. NONE of the 5 rooms we booked had clocks. None.

3. Our sink did not drain. We had to shove the plastic "no smoking" sign in the dran to keep it open and flowing.

4. The shower dripped...all... night... long.

5. There was a hole in our floor that was covered by the carpet. Glad I didn't sprain my ankle wearing heels in that awful room.

5. Of the 4 or 5 front desk clerks we saw during our stay, only ONE of them greeted guests as they came in went. The others ignored us. We were even standing next to the front desk talking amongst overselves about the best way to get to the airport and the front desk clerk (Toby, I think it was) never chimed in. He seemed irritated when we asked him.

6. Stained carpets, stained sheets.

Now, I know that bad reviews should be taken with a grain of salt because people tend to ONLY write reviews when they are bad. However, I am not a high class girl. I work with a budget. I did not except this place to be the cream of the crop (like the Cornstalk nextdoor). However, I do not like sleeping with 2" roaches and I would like a clock... AND AN APOLOGY!

They did not accomodate us. That was the WORST way to spend nearly $300 and three nights.

The only thing good about this hotel is the location.

Room Tip: AVOID ROOM 206. My parents stayed in rooms 101 and 102 and those seemed decent. I would just avoid t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kayleigh W

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Canton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Although it is a great location it could be so much better. Run the vacum & do a little matinance! Front desk person very sloppy. If you are not going to have a uniform at least dress properly! Nancy R

Room Tip: If you have an issue with stairs, make sure to ask for a room on first floor. Stairs are very steep!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

The package was $179.00 per person for 2 nights plus taxes & service fees. We arrived on Monday afternoon & checked out Wednesday morning.

The hotel staff were friendly, helpful & checking in was a breeze. We ended up with a suite on the upper floor. It was spacious & had vintage decor. It was cool indoors even though it was hot outside.
The toiletries were impressive - the soap, shampoo & lotion smelled really fresh & fruity instead of the bland, scentless kind you get at other hotels.

The location is great - we got to park the car in a monitored lot & walked everywhere else.
Continental breakfast was available the first morning when we woke up and the room was cleaned by the time we came back after roaming.

The historic carriage ride was very informative & it was nice to be taken around the French Quarter in old-fashioned transport.

Dinner at Muriel's was amazing - very classy & delicious! GREAT date night spot to impress!
Breakfast was not available the second morning - but we didn't mind because we still had the Cafe Au Lait & Beignets at Cafe du Monde.

The hotel never complained about any noise - even though we came back pretty drunk & obnoxious one of the nights.
And we thought there was a swimming pool, but we never came across one.

Overall, it was fantastic (WELL worth every penny) & I would definitely recommend it!!!

Room Tip: *The rooms near the entrance have less A/C unit noise than the ones near the fountain in the courtya...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I used to stay at the Andrew Jackson hotel all the time when I was younger however it seemed like every time I wanted to stay there in recent years it was always booked up. Finally got a chance to take my husband there this past weekend. We paid a little extra for a room with a balcony and it was well worth it! The price we paid was about the price we would pay for a simple room with no balcony anywhere else in the French Quarter.

Yes, the hotel is older... and hence there are things that need to be repaired. I'm sure they have a running list at all times. We loved the history behind the place ourselves. The room was clean and the hotel is SO close to anything and everything. It had a small 19" TV but we weren't there to watch TV. The bathroom looked like it had been updated recently.

The staff.. Well, they are a little rough around the edges. The guy that worked pretty much the whole time we were there was pretty good once we buttered him up a bit but the guy that took his place on Monday did not have a bit of personality. We didn't want or need much so it didn't really matter to us at all. Hurricane Isaac was coming in the day we were leaving and friends of mine were forced to leave and I'm sure he could have made it more pleasant for them.

I would reccomend this place to anyone that really wants to "experience" New Orleans. If you are a chain hotel type of person then don't go here, actually for that matter, you may not want to go to New Orleans. But if you want to experience the magic at a very reasonable price then this is your place.

Room Tip: Pick one of the balcony rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple